feedback on skull of savage iljin

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Bleneth, May 27, 2016.

1. Bleneth

Bleneth Kobold

What would it take for the devs to nerf savage curse card quality or the card itself? I used to enjoy cardhunter at high ranking and being successful with different builds, and nice item combos. But I never use savage curse + burst because it just ruins everything about the game for me. Here's why:

1. The game fundamentals reqwards you to position your character well. And having them close toegether you can do a lot of useful things like draw extra cards, violent spin, healing and inspiring presence, and even just for defenders block. Then fireball burst just violates that all!! It actually does the exact opposite, punishes you for close positioning. Maybe ember burst is ok, I don't know, but fireball, and also the radiation bomb, how you can avoid these!! So why violate that the game has made such a great emphasis on positioning smart!!!

2. The extra damage from burst means that if they attacks first, you can never outrace them in damage. EVen if you had obliterating spark, obliterating spark, they still do 8 damage, 8 damage, 8 damage, etc. So you can't head on attack a burst wizard, and the other thing, burst wizards are always the highest health race, dwarves. So the game also punishes you for trying to compete with human or even elf wiz!

3. It takes little skill to use burst. Just find a square that damages all the enemy but not yours, not hard! Whereas every other item it takes some skill, timing, positioning. LIke deadly spark, or even just magma spray.

4. Burst {with savage curse} makes other wizard attack card look weak in comparison. Why should I use a staff whihc even though it has some mighty spark, when I can just burst behind corners for similar damage? This makes deck buildling the same and not fun. Supercooled laser and heartripper are the only two close staffs, and two staffs is not enough otherwise just ember burst staff/blue destruction/searing pain does not make the wizard building fun anymore. So all I can choose is two staffs ... ??

{also. Why not nerf wiz health like this: elf wiz 19 / hum wiz 21 -same- / dw wiz 23?. It would be fairer to everyone.

5. Finally the item that has savage curse, for no tokens, and it has two savage curse!! And also, what else, a perfect healing card for burst wizards! Inspiring presence.

6. Because of so much savage curse, and because of burst, its impossible to counter this build . purging burst, I tried, and didn't have enough to stop savage curse!, not to mention it makes my priest impotent. And smoke bomb, they can still burst into the smoke! Or make smoke into stone spikes and burst even deeper.

This is why I would please like to see the savage curse card nerfed. Otherwise, I can't try new builds anymore at high level. And the 60% of builds are just burst or have a burst wiz. If this continues I will feel like leaving this game, and that makes me sad as the game has been great fun.

If you disagree please give reasons I am happy to admit being wrong. But let me tell you with burst, its not happening today.

Maniafig, Master Goo, Macizo and 2 others like this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hey, thanks for the feedback. We are working on some changes to this situation and will announce as soon as we have something.

3. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

I always place the Smoke closer to enemies....that way the wiz has to leave the Smoke.

4. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

I go to 1891 elo with a priest and two warriors but i agree in all yours stataments i feel very lĂ­mites if i want to win, and thats low the fun.
    Evem when i play burst i get bored soon, burst its so unfun, more when the enemy throw 3 or 4 consecutives fireballs in one turn.

I want to try a lot of things that float around in my head but doesnt past the burst test.

I feel the items like serin pain are ok, savage its equal ok, but the itemization of savage its just too brutal.

5. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I must say, lately, World Chat has become increasingly hostile -- and I mean utterly hostile -- toward the burfft play setup and its users.

Some weeks ago, I had an off-the-cuff idea for Savage Curse in particular, whether or not any other issues would still need to be dealt with. It's basically, what if Savage Curse did exactly what it does now, even at the same cost, (but maybe less Duration, ha,) but it'd require the condition that the extra damage only applies if the attacker can see the attackee?

Burst in plain view? Extra hurt from Savage Curse!! Boom!! ~ Burst through Smoke? Savage doesn't add damage. Burst through Illusionary Terrain? Savage doesn't add damage. The big one for everyone: Burst around a corner? Savage doesn't add damage.

Same for Linear corner tricks, Coning through LoS blockers, and any plain ol' targeted attacks.

Just a thought.

6. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Or maybe Savage Course could get a hot-nerf, like tomorrow (01.06), and not wait till the rest of balance patch? :p Even something as small as being just Frenzy 4 would work wonders.

7. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Well tomorrow there'll be a new map rotation. Just cross your fingers and hope it's not burst friendly. Burst has been known as good for over a year, but it only dominates on certain map rotations, there are many months where burst has been quite the sub-optimal strategy (this is why I'm in favor of a nerf, but not a hard one). Why everyone is so hostile is it's had a 2 month straight run due to the maps. I'm actually looking forward to a non-burst friendly rotation and watching people who think burst is universally overpowered (rather than map dependent) try to keep running it.

8. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

And I, like everyone else, simply want to see less wizards too :) Well, jokes aside, deep down I still probably mean it. And I know that many others agree.

9. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

See you in July, I guess.

10. Good call out Bleneth,

Sadly his problem has been around in some form or another since the old days when Firestorm hit the whole map. A cleric and two mages that hide in the corner and and spam the same couple spells over and over. At least in the old days Whirlwind spells could break it up, but those spells have pretty much been nerfed to being worthless since the people who hid and buffed complained the loudest about them.

Now you could say it is even worse since Illusory Barrier has such a long duration compared to Wall of Illusion...

If you are lucky and get "adaptable" early you sometimes stand a chance but since you can't buff "team heal" enough to make up for it, you still loose usually even if you have force fields and nimbus.

Most maps lately are , who ever gets a complete buffed wizard first, or gets Illusory Barrier up first wins.

Another depressing thing lately is no one goes for victory points anymore and if you do, you are a sitting duck.

11. I like wizards, but I won't run exploit wizards builds. Acid Wizards are my favorite but there hasn't been a new acid card in ages. :(

But I have fun with melee mages too since no one expects one. JumpSpark and Arcing mages can be annoyingly fun ( even without wellspring )! Smoke Bomb and Cone mages are kind of fun too but cone range and damage kind of stinks! Path of Knives and Force cone/cannon mages are cool too. Heck I even tried a teleport charging mage! lots of cool mage builds just never get any dev love or new items to support them. Want proof? Why the hell is a card with 3 acid sprays a gold token?? :p

12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Unfortunately, any maps that are unfriendly to burfft are also unfriendly to 'fair' wizards. :(

That's no bueno.

Everyone, keep in mind that abusive behavior in chat, even if it's 'provoked' by game imbalance, is still abusive behavior in chat!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  13. hello world

hello world Hydra

14. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

It has been good since Crypts until the map rotation this month. That way too long, and quite the variety of maps already.