[Feedback] On characters

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Java, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Java

Java Kobold

I played the game for a couple levels in beta and enjoyed it, but decided to hold off on continuing until after release - I wanted to wait to experience the full game when I'd get to keep my stuff. Eventually I wandered back in, and have been playing as regularly as I can for the past two or so weeks and slowly savoring the campaign. I just want to share my two cents on one particular aspect of the game.

I first approached the game like a sort of D&D simulation, where I would grow and build my characters as they participated in strategic battles. But with the increase in difficulty after the first several levels, I find it's less about constructing the kind of character I want by using my choices in equipment, and more about fitting my party members to specific roles, like shaping the pieces to a puzzle. Sure, there's some elements left to personal choice - I assume every adventure should be beatable somehow with most or all party types, and you have a choice between, say, armor discards or penetrating attacks. And that's perfectly fine, because that's the type of game this is! Turns out I was just expecting the wrong thing based on how the game presents itself, and now that I play it that way, kitting out my party and playing is more enjoyable.

The result of this, though, is that there's not really much to your characters. The only really defining things about them are their name, class/race combo, and if you choose to purchase costumes, their appearance. (By the way, I really like that option, and heartily encourage production of more figures, either unique or even just giving us the MP palette swaps.) When possible, my elf wizard is rocking the electrical attacks, but for the next adventure, she's suddenly completely different, adopting fire to deal with mobs, and in the next I ditch my love of damage-focused magic classes so that she can exert some control over the board.

Now, respeccing is a handy thing, but the characters to me feel less like my little band of adventurers and more like pawns in a game. Unfortunately, I don't know how I would fix this without compromising the way the game works and its flexibility. More options that don't affect battle directly? Extra cosmetic touches? I assume it's easier in multiplayer, at least certain ranks (I don't do PvP at all), where you can't really plan to the upcoming situation and are thus freed up to choose the builds you want. I've heard talk of alternate modes like co-op in the future when the devs have time, and maybe something like a randomized dungeon mode in SP would be a nice way of letting you play with your favorite kinds of builds?

In D&D, you can build up your character through development of their personality and background, participation in the story arc and party, and choosing of skills and equipment and feats that become integral to that character. The first two obviously aren't feasible in this kind of game, and it makes me a little sad that the third is only really an option in MP. I'll continue to play the game and enjoy it, but this is one area where I feel the flavor and source material don't come through as well.

Sorry for the lengthy post! I'm a rambler and wanted to share my thought process rather than criticizing without regard for the genre. Great game overall, devs.

hatchhermit, Flaxative and Aldones like this.
  2. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

I really want an opportunity to satisfy this need. Entering a dungeon blind finally allows me the luxury of feeling completely satisfied with just taking what I really feel a strong personal affinity for, and not just what the current situation blatantly demands. If that means occasionally encountering a random dungeon level in a "challenge delve" that's just by chance a perfect counter to what I use, then so be it. That's part of the fun in seeing how deep you can go into that sort of experience. It becomes personal, because it's not countering your loot collection, but countering you and your preferences.

Java likes this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Great post Java, I agree wholeheartedly.

Java likes this.
  4. Java

Java Kobold

I agree - sure, there'd be a chance of some harsh beatdowns, but it's worth it for the opportunity to play in more of a sandbox.

Thanks!