[Feedback] Not enough power tokens

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Doctor Blue, Jun 22, 2013.

1. DragnHntr

DragnHntr Orc Soldier

Instead of doing colors of tokens you could just keep adding up tokens. So at 18 we would have 12(?) tokens to allocate, and a piece that takes a blue and a gold would just say 3 tokens. This could also fix the complaint that we are required to use so many tokenless items. Rather than being forced to use items that require a gold token, or effectively wasting half a token, we could spread them around more.

Probably doesn't fit into the design plan, just throwing it out there :)

2. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

When I first started getting power tokens in this game, I thought that major power tokens were probably just a way of representing three or so minor tokens. It wasn't until I had around 5 minor tokens and still couldn't equip a major token item that I figured it probably didn't work like that.

I reckon that if you want to allow a single major token to stand-in for two minor tokens, then you should also allow the other way around. ie. two minor tokens should be able to stand-in for a single major token. In which case the system would be essentially the same as DragnHntr was suggesting.

3. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

There are other ways tokens could work. For example, what if you could use any item up to half your level (or whatever) for free, but every quarter of a level on an item beyond that required a token. There would probably be only one colour of token and you could use more than one on an item, probably with a limit of two or three.

Tokens then wouldn't be a factor affecting the quality of an item. Powerful low-level items would still be useful because you would need to mix them with better items.

Tokens could still be introduced slowly by reducing the restrictions on lower-level characters. [If the no-token limit were a third of your level plus three, for example, tokens would only start to matter slowly as you progressed.]

4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

BTW, I noticed that some level 13 six-card items are minor/minor and some are major/minor. Is that intentional?

5. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

I feel like it ain't broke.... And I love that the token system makes lower-level items relevant.

Tasmanian Devil and skip_intro like this.
  6. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

I think the system is broken, if you consider that all items above a certain level need tokens. That means that items up Level 8 or whatever are key to all builds even if character level goes to 50. That's why I think the system should probably allow the use of items that are a certain proportion of character level (a third, a half or whatever) without tokens.

7. Keyser

Keyser Goblin Champion

As you level you'll eventually have enough clear tokens (along with bronze, silver, and gold) so that you'll be able to equip only items with tokens: http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Power_Tokens. According to the chart, you'll have 12 tokens (which is your number of slots) at level 36. This seems completely reasonable to me.

8. Essence

Essence Orc Soldier

Yeah, you get to stop worrying about 0-token items at level 36, clear-token items at 39, and bronze-token items at level 45. So it's a long way to go before you have to stop worrying about 0-token items, but it will happen.

9. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I find it hard to imagine what kinds of cards might be available at levels 40-50 if everything scales at the rate it does currently.

From levels 1-18, we've already gone from attacks with names like 'weak' and 'clumsy', to 'mighty' and 'obliterating' and even 'all-mighty'. If there are going to be new attacks all the way up to level 50, there would have to be heaps of new and even more powerful sounding names for them. What could they possibly be called? And I'm similarly concerned about the general ability of cards. We've already got cards that make the user invulnerable, and cards that heal the whole team for a significant amount, and cards which can block anything on any team-member within some range. What I'm saying is that if these are only level 18 cards, whatever comes at level 50 would probably end up being absurdly powerful.

So, if the developers do stick with their original plan to go all the way to level 50, then I hope they do it by stretching out the current system rather than by adding even more powerful stuff to the end - so that level 20 equipment in the current system is similar to level 50 equipment in the new system.

Generica and Keyser like this.
  10. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

Unless they add a new power token which is equal to two of our current golds... I don't see them increasing item level as our character level increases.

Level up character just gets you more token slots, so that at various levels you get to "graduate" from using the lower end gear, and of course more hitpoints.

If they do make higher level items, about all they can do is remove the inclusion of penalty or low-end cards. This will make most of what we have as 2gold token now useless. But it does match the model of the no-token gear, where there are a few "tiers" within that gear qualification (novice, untrained, focused and the like in your class skill comes to mind)