[FEEDBACK] Monster Hunt (League)

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Stexe, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Hey, everyone! I'm looking to compile feedback on an upcoming league map that I made with the help of Jon.

It is called Monster Hunt (formerly known as Chupa Chase or Asymmetrical Map Test: forums.cardhunter.com/threads/asymmetrical-league-map.5963/). It can be played by clicking "Create Casual Game" and then under the tab "Non-ranked" it should be the last selection on the list.

My goal with this league is to create an asymmetrical map that is well balanced and interesting to play with some mind games thrown in. Let me know what you think could be improved before it becomes a "real" league in the rotation.

2. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I know it's a little late BUT: For me, this isn't a monster hunt. It's a Hunter Hunt.

All I have to do is kill the enemy Mercenary (easy!) for 2 VP, and then either kill another hunter (nah) or kill one of the enemy chupas (killing one is easy). It's happened 2 games in a row, and it could be a coincidence or just the inexperienced opponents, but I think that 2 VP per hunter is too much. I would suggest 1 VP per hunter!

*EDIT* 3 Games in a row. Don't know if it's just my opponents being reckless, but they certainly aren't trying to get their own dudes killed.... I think.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  3. Soltis

Soltis Goblin Champion

Wait, formerly called Chupa Chase?
    Why is it nolonger called Chupa Chase, I like that way better than Monster Hunt.

4. Stexe

Jon made the new name. I think it works better than Chupa Case myself. But to each their own.

5. Stexe

That's how I've seen it traditionally play out. But what is wrong with that? If you want just both monsters to be killed it would change the game entirely. You can't reduce the VP of the hunters without creating a stalemate situation. For example you kill both the archer and the polearm and get to the VP spot. The game would just turn into a pass fest. Unless I added range to the dwarf but that would change the nature of the game dramatically.

6. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I know you want to avoid a stalemate, but I think the chances of both players killing both archers and polearms, AND both players having both of their chupas not die, AND having them both draw flight aura AND both reach the VP within 1 turn of each other are extremely low.
    Still, I understand your choice.

7. Stexe

It can be within two turns (unless I change it to three VP, but that's another set of issues). And it happened in testing so obviously it can happen and result in a horrible end state.

The only problem I have with hunters dying to Chupas is if two are dying to give the win. That should only happen once in a blue moon.

I'm curious about buffing the dwarf slightly, removing a run from the archer, and adjusting the HP values. I think one last balance change will finalize it. But I want to get more feedback from others on their opinion. Hopefully the multiple leagues of it will give people enough games to give some good feedback.

8. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Just played this league today, and I have to say, I think it's definitely one of the best leagues so far!

The asymmetry balanced by the dual boards is great, and the 15 minute timer is just right. The decks also felt well-balanced compared to many of the other fixed leagues (although drawing the default move on one of the hunter's draws was pretty rough).

I will say the dwarf felt less useful than his compatriots, being the hardest to get into range (and trying to hit two chupas just didn't happen). And his armor was basically a dead draw since the chupas would never go after him anyway.

The scenario might also benefit from having five or six vp to win, but it's fun as is.

Stexe likes this.
  9. Stexe

5 or 6 VP requirement can still result in a stalemate. Same as making hunters worth less VPs.

10. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Won 4 perfect matches on my first outing. It seems like most player haven't gotten the hang of it, but it's really a game of movement bluffing. (That is, you lose when one of your characters stalls out within range of an opponent.)

My first two moves (switch order if I go second), are to advance my Chupas to behind the middle row of trees (where they can threat to maze anyone) and then to run my archer into the difficult terrain through the middle entry point.

From there, I usually wait with the Chupas until I can sucker in either the spearman or the archer. If the opponent is cautious, I'll jump out when I'm holding 2x 6-dmg attacks and additional movement for retreating. On the other side, I retreat my hunters into the difficult terrain, and then double/triple team the opposing Chupas as they try to pass through the choke points.

I never saw a Chupa reach a victory square. Only once did any of my characters fall below 8 health. I always discarded the flying armor, since I never intended to go for VPs myself.

Also, I love how most players forget that the Chupas can usually move through zones of control without stopping, which has let me scamper through to pin down a low-HP enemy more than once.

Stexe likes this.
  11. Stexe

Yeah, I'll most likely be increasing the life of the hunters a bit in the next patch. It should still be possible to do that, but I hope it makes it a bit more difficult to just kill hunters for VP.

I'm also thinking about making the Dwarf draw 2 cards per turn again. He used to do that in my first alpha test and it let him do a lot more damage than he deals now, considering how difficult he can be to get into battle.

12. Stage

Stage Orc Soldier

I had been thinking that perhaps hunters should only give one VP per kill, but this would also solve the possible issue that had me thinking such thoughts: It feels to me like a match ends before it's truly resolved... if that means anything.

13. Stexe

It would end in a stalemate if hunters gave only 1 VP (both teams kill the archer and polearm and make it to the VP squares).

I'm most likely going to be adding a few HP to the hunters next patch and a few other minor things. This should be the final balance change on the league unless there's some major problem that is caused by it.

14. Stage

Stage Orc Soldier

Right, I forgot you already told me that. How about increasing the VP for a win then? Which runs the risk of being unpopular since people like the short matches, but can't hurt to ask :p

15. Stexe

Again, as said above, that could create a stalemate situation in the same way as making hunters worth less VP.

16. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

Wanted to try the league for a second time but came 43 minutes late for last league and apparently it never started. No clue what happened. (was supposed to start at 14H00 GMT)

17. Stexe

Yeah, I just posted about it in the other thread. I'm confused as well. Hopefully Jon can shed some light on it.

18. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Hmm... the dwarf is already really dangerous if you use him correctly. I think I recall the dwarf playing a large role in most of my kills, and I'm always cautious to avoid him with my own chupas.

19. Stexe

Yeah, I'm unsure on that change right now. He used to do that in the alpha version of the map, but Jon changed him to 1 card draw (accidentally?) and I balanced a bit around that. Even if he is drawing 2 cards per turn he will still be kind of difficult to get into range. Granted, when he was drawing 2 per turn he didn't have step attack cards... which helps him get in range a lot. That change I'm hesitant to make because it might make killing the Chupas too easy or luck dependent. However, I definitely think that the hunters need a bit more life and slight deck changes.

20. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

The dwarf seemed ok to me. Just retains two moves in hand and then he can act like an anti maze guy or go hit.

Otherwise my opinion on the one league I played was that the victory squares were just there for pretty. Usualy the game ends with the spearman and one chupa dead before you can reach them. And even if you can reach them, would you like to stay there while you get sniped by the spear guy and the archer without the possibility of doing anything? Only ranged attack I saw on the chupas was one Spear Of Darkness one time over the four games.

Also I had a "funny" game if it can provide intel. Both my opponant and I passed for four rounds in a row at some point. Chupas couldn't move forward because they would have got hurt too much and moving backward would have been pointless. Moving a hunter could have been deadly too because of the mazes. I unlocked the situation by drawing and playing the step move range 2 of the speardude as I allready knew that step attacks weren't affected by the mazes (posted it in the tips weeks ago but this knowledge was very situational till then).

Stexe likes this.