[Feedback] Descent to the Core - mission 1

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Gray, May 30, 2013.

1. Gray

Gray Mushroom Warrior

Card Hunter is a game in which movement and positioning have been described as key (and I agree) - in this scenario the opponents have unlimited(?) range spells which shut down massive sections of the board in a single sweep (and which they can centre on your party's starting point) - locking all your characters down.

I just found this one scenario particularly tedious and annoying - and had lost the game long before they finished killing my final character - for the first time I wanted a quit button so I could go again.

Gray

(ps Played through the first mission again, and won, still painful and tedious - but it makes this scenario feel very much like its determined by the first draw of the opponent)
    (pps Having finished all three missions in the adventure I can confidently say that I will never play that adventure again ... although I won the second and third first time, they were just horrible to play)

Argh! [​IMG]

2. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Without a way to clean the tiles or ignore them, those are really slow, un-fun maps.

3. Gray

Gray Mushroom Warrior

Agreed and in fact my cleric was configured for the three missions I won with the cards to clear terrain (hence the happy little clear spot under the fighter) - and they are still not fun.

Gray

4. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Those fights aren't that bad.

1) The AI will never play a new terrain affecting card while the target is in a square with an old terrain attachment so you can effectively use the rocky terrain as safe squares. The enemies won't try casting lava there until the rocks disappear.
    And the same can be said about acid squares to some extent: 3 damage is not really that much, especially when compared to the 10 from lava...

2) You can counteract the difficult terrain by bringing more move cards: Walk, Team / Team Run / Telekinesis / step attacks...

3) If you've found a robe with Hover, use it.

4) Save your move cards. Try to keep one move card in each hero's hand until the enemies have used their actions. That way you can still slip out of any lava they use against you.

Yeah, the fights are slow but I found it fun to get a taste of my own medicine for a change :)

5. Gray

Gray Mushroom Warrior

I did win - so I understand your tips (and used them, including hover and cleanse) - still the maps were very unfun for me. If you intend to play them again - I salute you.

I am 99.99% certain that they do play new terrain over old terrain. I recall noting to myself that the new terrain card cleared the old one. I'm damned if I am going back in there just to check - but I have seen it before and I'll keep an eye out for it.

Although acid only does three damage (and discards armour) unlike lava it is a stop / difficult terrain, so uses additional moves if you have them. And you might not - the enemy uses paralysing bolt which forces the discard of all moves aswell as knocking you back.

And as regards stacking more moves - at the moment pictured above there are a minimum of 4 difficult terrain cards between the priest and either enemy. I cant stack quite that many :)

Gray

6. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

New terrain will replace the old terrain yes, but what I meant that if the hero was standing on rocks left by an earlier attack, the AI never directly attacked that hero with a new terrain card.

But maybe that particular AI problem has been finally fixed since I last played that adventure.
    Well, the acid suggestion was mostly due to my first point. If there was no opportunity to make the enemy waste its actions first, it was often safer to end the turn in acid instead of moving the hero to an empty square where the enemy could then use lava against him.

7. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Wait, wait, wait: no one has mentioned ranged attacks? C'mon, bend with the force the enemy throws at you. Aikido, people!

But aside from my lame attempts at humor: yes, if the enemy is limiting your movement, the best thing you can do is render it irrelevant. Cleansing cards are also good, as is lots of (the right sorts of) movement, but surely you don't want to fall directly into the trap the Geomancers are setting for you. Long-range stuff (preferably Arcane), and also Whirlwind if possible, can be very good.

A number of people (myself included) were thrilled to face Geomancers, because FINALLY the "terrain attachment" mechanic got a workout. Thus, yes, I'd call those levels fun . . . with the right builds. Same with a lot of the other places where people declared the game too hard, unfun, or badly designed, and then managed to enjoy the adventure after a rebuild. I hope the clash didn't impose on your enjoyment too much.

8. Rorre

Rorre Orc Soldier

I liked them. They were one of the earlier maps that I remember being hard enough that I had to change what I was doing.

I actually learned to pincer on these maps - I spread around the monks and then collapsed on them, which turned out to be incredibly important later on when I was fighting frost imps. *shudder*. Now *those* maps were a hard slog :/

I've also ended up using a derivative strategy for the second half of the campaign. My wizard is dedicated to ensuring that any enemy that wants to attack my party in melee has to stand in lava to do it .

9. Gray

Gray Mushroom Warrior

I'm happy to be in the minority here - good to know that a number of people like these maps, especially as they are pay to play ones. (I believe they are part of the treasure hunt series - they were marked as a treasure hunt). My feedback hasn't changed, I can just ignore them.

I didnt find them hard - I did lose the first round on the first map, but that was down to the AI getting an optimal draw where I got a less than optimal one (which contributed to my frustration in hindsight). After that it was a clean run - just long, slow and not very fun. I did vary my build slighty - but the hover never came up at a useful point (hence dead wizard in the picture!) and the cleanse really didnt make a lot of difference - as you can see it saved my warrior 3pts of damage in the picture.

Aah - I misunderstood you (my mistake, I misinterpreted what you wrote) - you may well be right, I haven't seen the AI use a double attack that way.

Gray

And if you are looking at that picture thinking 'yummy - got to get me some of that gameplay' - then again, I salute you and assume you are the sort of person who competes in ironman and eats a small cow for dinner every day! :)

10. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Phew, glad it worked out. Though I just noticed this question:
    To answer, you can right-click on the terrain attachment and check out the range. None are "unlimited," but the Geomancers keep themselves at an ideal range (as do most enemies).

11. Gray

Gray Mushroom Warrior

Indeed - I noticed later - but the rockfall is range 8 and a large AoE - big enough to reach the other side of the map from starting positions - so ideal range isnt really something they have to concern themselves with :)

Gray