[Farming] Level 17 Adventure Farming with Dwarf Wizards

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Scared Little Girl, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Level 17 Adventure Farming with Dwarf Wizards
    Everyone has their own method of farming the single player campaign for items. Here is my method.

I have a team of 3 Dwarf Wizards who finish all four level 17 adventures each day. What makes these guys special is that I do not have to make any deck changes between adventures. I use this same deck for all four adventures and I never lose a single battle. Best part is that it takes less than an hour to complete the adventures, and you'll get a lot of nice loot.

There are probably better and faster ways to farm SP but this is a system that works for me. I couldn't for example grind the first part of an adventure over and over again. I need to have a bit more variation.

Basic design philosophy here is full damage. I have taken as much damage dealing cards as possible because you don't really need much defence or movement in SP. And of course you use cards like Winds Of War for defence as well.

Each dwarf has their own special role. It's pretty self-explanatory but I'll give some quick tips for new players.

Mr. Ice is crucial in many adventures because he slows enemies down. Without any kind of encumber, you will quickly be surrounded and crushed. Encumber is also great for dealing damage when the enemy is standing on lava and cannot move. He's usually the dwarf you want to use first (encumber that dangerous enemy before he has a change to move).

Mr. Fire is a typical fire Wizard. Just stack fire effects as much as possible and watch them burn. I used a couple of legendary items in this build. If you don't have those, just use whatever you have, like for example Runestone. It doesn't really matter what you take as long as it deals damage.

Mr. Spark finishes enemies with direct damage spells. You could try some other types of wizards as well, but I wouldn't take ice or fire wizards because then you get too many of those types of cards. Squeamish messes with this guy a bit, so remove Runestones and Blood Locket if you think it's too big of a problem.

Mr. Ice
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard

1 x Immovable
    2 x Hover
    3 x Squeamish
    1 x Shuffle
    2 x Cold Snap
    2 x Toughness
    6 x Frost Jolt

Mr. Fire
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard

1 x Immovable
    2 x Hover
    1 x Shuffle
    1 x Squeamish
    2 x Flame Jet
    4 x Flame Spit
    2 x Toughness

Mr. Spark
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard

1 x Immovable
    2 x Toughness
    2 x Hover
    6 x Spark
    4 x Squeamish
    1 x Shuffle
    1 x Little Zap

Gameplay Videos
    In case anyone is interested, here are some gameplay videos where you can see this build in action. If you do watch it, I recommend you go to video options and increase the speed to 200%, otherwise it's going to be really boring because there is no voice-overs or anything like that. I do a lot of silly mistakes on that video because I hadn't done the quests for a while and forgot about things like Only Bones, plus I was trying to do it as fast as possible. Doesn't matter though, the adventures are so easy that you can afford to make a few mistakes. :)

Dungeon of the Swamp King

Lair of the Yellow Dragon

CardStock II Secret Preview

dashv520, Qui11, Aiven and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Thanks for posting this build!

3. Qui11

Qui11 Kobold

Yes, thanks. I'd always assumed that I needed a warrior (for dps) to make these go quickly. 3 wiz is much faster. The only level I had trouble with was the wisps where I missed Resistant Hide.

4. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

You say four level 17 adventures but I only see three. Are you doing one of the 16s as well?

5. YoYoTheAssyrian

YoYoTheAssyrian Mushroom Warrior

Oaken heart or something, it's in the forest to the upper right of the other lvl 17 adventures

6. Wisps can be annoying at times because they have all those blocks, but eventually they run out and then they die. Resistant Hide is a good choice for this build. It's actually what I used earlier but I switched it to Robe of Lightness for those extra traits. If you want to take Resistant Hide, you should look into replacing that spark wizard with a second fire wizard and take a bunch of Firestorms. That kind of setup works very nicely and is really great in Black Oaken Heart with all the trees.

The last one is Black Oaken Heart. It's the most annoying of the bunch because it sometimes takes a bit longer than the other three, and the third part of the adventure can be a bit difficult if you get a bad draw. I sometimes skip that adventure and just do the other 3.

I don't have a video up for Black Oaken Heart just yet because yesterday it was the first video I made, and I wasn't happy with the aspect ratio so I decided to redo it today. And today 1 minute before completing the adventure, my screen recording software crashed and the video was lost. So I gues I'll have to try again tomorrow :) It was a shame because I looted a legendary item Axe Of The Titans in the last chest, and it would have been an epic (or legendary?) end to this video series.

---------------

Btw what's up with those YouTube videos not showing up on the forums? I put them there yesterday and they were fine. Today all I see is white space. And if I try to put them there again, or any other YouTube video, I get the same white space.

7. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I can see the videos fine in both Firefox and IE.

8. Thanks. I looked into it and looks like my Chrome browser thought the scripts were "unsafe" and decided to block them without asking me first. Weird because they worked fine yesterday with the same browser.

9. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Here's my lvl17 farming crew. Takes me about 35-40 minutes to farm the three level 17 quests (I don't do the tree one because I hate that one). I'm pretty careless when I play, usually just spamming firestorm when I have it (and don't have a bunch of Combustibles attached). Ice to slow down whoever's getting close, and fire + kindler + firestarter to burn everything away. WoW in case somebody gets too close.

Scatha
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard

Ancalagon
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard

Glaurang
    Level 20 Dwarf Wizard

Scared Little Girl likes this.
  10. Looks pretty good. I've never played that kind of Firestorm heavy build in SP because I personally find it a bit boring, but I could see that being slightly more effective/faster than my build. Another good thing about it is that you don't have to think too much when spamming Firestorms, which is always good in a grinding situation. Not that my build needs any deep thinking either..

I was wondering about Focused Burning vs. Focused Pyromancy. I'm assuming you chose the latter because the traits stack, but I was wondering if that was indeed better. I mean it will lead to situations where you have Kindler only, and therefore deal less damage. Do you think that getting those both traits at the same time is so frequent that it pays off?

11. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Actually, I include Kindler primarily to cycle off Combustible more quickly. The combined damage of Kindler and Firestarter is nice, and it does happen often enough to make up for the times when I only draw Kindler.

12. Ah.. ok I get it. I didn't think about that. Yes, I can definitely see why Focused Burning would be a better choice then.

13. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

I've tried a 3 Wizard farm build before but it didn't seem to have enough damage to kill big things like the Yellow Dragon or Elder Tree thingie. I've been running an Adventuring Party build... basically it is a Infused Greatclub + tons of movement Warrior (Vibrant Armor and other movement stuff), an Inspiring Presence / Imp Nimbus Priest, and a Firestorm + Cone of Cold Wizard. Usually the Wizard + Priest can take out everything except one or two big guys and then I just rush in and get a few Obliterating Bludgeons off to kill anything else.

I'll try this out later on and see what my success rate is.

14. Ice and lava will kill those guys pretty fast. In a typical match you will have them both standing on lava until they die. The dragon might fly out of lava but it's easy to WoW him back there.

15. Stexe

That seems a lot slower than simply running up and smashing him with 3 or 4 Obliterating Bludgeons while Nimbus'd. Granted, having an all Wizard team (or 2 Wizard 1 Priest) is definitely faster in farming levels without big "boss monsters" by far.

16. Here is a link to me killing the dragon in about 1:30. I don't think it is even possible to do it much faster no matter what the build is. Then again this is pretty much the only grinding build I've used more than once, so maybe there is a faster option, I don't know. "3 or 4 Obliterating Bludgeons while Nimbus'd" would do it but I think that would require luck with the draw. Wizards are much more consistent imo because they will always kill the dragon with similar speed no matter what the draw is.

17. Stexe

Seems like in that run you got lucky he didn't draw more armor cards. The one problem I have against him with my build is his rock difficult terrain crap, but usually I can bait him into coming within range by just hugging a wall outside of LoS. That or just slowly moving through it since half my deck is movement cards. It doesn't really require much luck for getting Obliterating Bludgeons when you're running 2 Infused Greatclub and a Reaper's Scythe. Plus , you can quickly pass and cycle through your deck by the time he walks up to you. And when your Priest is running 8 to 10 Nimbus cards you'll usually get one every other turn.

Most likely I should ditch my priest and just run 2 warriors + 1 wizard or 1 warrior + 2 wizards, but I don't have any other warriors that I've leveled up.

18. Stexe

Just did a test speed run with my adventure party build and beat the Lair of the Yellow Dragon in under 7 minutes including load times (got another Nimbus Blade as the drop). Didn't even get that lucky on card draws (had to pass like 5 or 6 times in a row to get any decent attacks on the dragon).

The Priest gives Savage Curse to the Wizard who spams Firestorm and Unholy Energy to the Warrior to get the Obliterating Bludgeons while spamming Inspiring Presence to keep people healed and drawing more cards. I'll post the build later on if you want to try it out.

EDIT: Same build on the Swamp level and did it in under 6 minutes.

neoncat likes this.
  19. Nice. Under 7 minutes is really good. Yes, post the build please.

I've been doing all the lvl 17 adventures with the same build because I'm too lazy to change it, but since changing the build takes only a few seconds, I don't see why I shouldn't just make the "perfect" build for each individual adventure. This should at least in theory give faster overall time than using the same build. I could even store the builds using the name of the adventure so that it's easy to find.

Yep, this is definitely something I will do.

20. Stexe

Yeah, I use the same build for all of the level 17 stuff. It is a bit tricky with the tree one, but then again isn't every build? I forget how to copy pasta builds, what's the code again?

You could make a build for each level, but I've been working on farming the level 11, 12, 13 missions in an attempt to get a few Lochaber Axes. There aren't many level 18 Legndaries I'm still after outside of Vibrant Pain.
    I'm out of slots for builds though. I have three for level 6 to 10, level 11 to 15, and level 16 to 17. Then the rest are for challenges and stuff (1 HP and Drawback and such).