Dungeon of the swamp king help

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Saragos, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Saragos

Saragos Kobold

So, I've gotten to the final level in the dungeon of the swamp king, and I just can't seem to beat it. I have a warrior, priest, wizard group. I've tried several different strategies, including attempting to kite everything and wear them down and just brute forcing it. Nothing I do seems to work. Does anyone have any advice they can offer to help me beat this one?

2. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

It's a tough fight, I agree. I just beat it with a chop warrior, fire wizard and mass frenzy/healing priest but I did lose my warrior. There's not much room for maneuvering and the slimes have their big ranged attack so you are going to get hit no matter what. You could try loading your priest up with Holy Nimbus spells, toss one on your warrior and try to make him tank everything. Winds of War would be useful for setting up good chopping opportunities and flinging slimes with Death Meld up away. As long as you don't bring any blunt weapons to the fight you can leave armor removal home.

I think I lost twice when I first did it working my way up the campaign. Good luck with it!

3. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Smoke Cloud helps a lot if you can get it out on the field to keep the slimes from using their range attack. Go up and beat on Oggencot while they can't see you and you have a much better chance once the smoke clears. Wizards with ice can help slow the slimes down too if you can put up an illusionary wall, smoke cloud, or stone wall to block their sight.

Bandreus likes this.
  4. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Basically what hatchermit said, plus focus on taking Oggencot down as quickly as possible, he's your priority target.

Don't get anybody close to the boss unless he has a Nimbus on it or something ridiculous like 4 parries or something, as Oggencot can quickly dispatch your best man in a round or two. Blast him from afar with your wizard big guns and, eventually go into melee for the kill only if strictly necessary.

Cold spells obviously help a ton, since 2 points of encumber are all you need to completely immobilize your enemies. I also put Storm of Knives to good use, as both the slimes and Oggencot will gladly move two times per turn, netting 16 dmg over two turns.

Be sure to bring lots of heals on your priest, as the ranged attacks will put somewhat of a tall on your group.

Assuming you can manouver around your enemies keeping the distance, using missile block and shields would work better than parries. The positioning can be very tricky, but if you can kill Oggencot in a couple of rounds things get a lot easier and you shall emerge victorious.

Good luck ;)

5. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

If you have a good bit of encumbrance it will help a lot. Bring some stabs and/or big hits so you can take down the king without too much damage; if you can't freeze him and must go toe to toe, parries will help. Whatever you do, the king must go down fast.

But of course, killing the king without too much damage is just the first step. How to control the slimes? Ideally you would like things like cone of cold to slow the ochre slimes, then you could kill the tan mold. If you have frost bolt type spells you can at least keep some of the slimes out of action. Winds of War is very powerful. Wall of Stone can do a lot too.

The king and the tan mold are the big melee hitters, and you do need stabs/parries to stop them hurting you too much. Some ranged damage from the ochre slimes is inevitable; you can't afford a lot of melee damage, and really I think it is all about minimising this.

Bandreus likes this.
  6. Saragos

Saragos Kobold

I was finally able to do this with the advice mentioned here. I used a combination of freeze and holy nimbus. My warrior was able to tank all the big hits with no fear, and my wizard was able to put out enough damage before he died that I killed em all. :)

7. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Well done! Glad to to hear you finally made it ;)

8. Golden

Golden Kobold

Just done it after many tries :
    Warrior tank with 3 Blocking Mace (yeah, I know, blunt weapon sucks against slime, but he wasn't there for the damage but did manage to put on a few hits) and many, many Parry
    Cleric with 2 Duality Mace (Impenetrable Nimbus to help warrior survive, Touch Of Death to deal damage) and some many heals.
    Wizard with lot of electrical damage and Wall Of Fire

No lost, didn't move from entrance, the warrior on the top right taking many hits, cleric top left taking some and withard behind taking few (only some Blob Of Slime). The king died on round 2, he hits very hard but has no protection and is the first one to meet the team so he's alone and takes a lot of damage.

Hope my tactics help some other as it's the hardest fight I encountered !

9. Kablizzy

Kablizzy Orc Soldier

It's weird, I've beaten this three times, and now I can't do anything to beat it. I've got ten nimbuses, and they just target other stuff with their Blobs. I've got Walls and Duality Maces, I take the boss man out first turn, and they just massacre me now. My mage has freeze stuff and a few Obliterating Sparks, and I just can't beat this anymore. =/

10. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Smoke makes a big difference. Not getting hit with the ranged attacks at the start helps a lot.

11. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

It's certainly a damn hard fight.

Here's how I won last time:
    • Smoke (or walls) gives you time to kill the big bad guy early before he can do much damage.
    • Weapons with chops are a surprisingly good option here. You can often hit multiple slimes in the fight (especially if you use team moves to counter the bashes) and combined with frenzy they do some nice damage.
    • And of course lava.

12. Kablizzy

Kablizzy Orc Soldier

This last time, I lucked into five straight Nimbuses, and kept my Firestorm Wizard back behind that wall where the slimes couldn't target with their ranged. Their only option was to hit my warrior, whom I moved Northeast to the opening with a Sprint at the beginning. From there, a few chops and Hacks, and my Wizard had to outrun the Tan Mold for eight turns or so to win.

13. Shardey

Shardey Kobold

I don't think Nimbus is the key to these ones. I have packed a lot of heals, some big chops for the warriors and a lot of freeze/wall of fire for the wizard. The wizard does most of the heavy lifting while the warrior and priest snipe low hp enemies. The highest priority is to keep tan molds and the king from wandering around the map, this is accomplished with freeze and winds of wars as well as a couple of random bashes hopefully.

14. Kablizzy

Kablizzy Orc Soldier

I've also found that Cone of Cold works wonders if you can maneuver your Wizard into range without getting Blobbed in the face.