Dropped Connections - please read!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

So, our new build seems to have some problems dropping connections. We're trying to fix now.

Let us know what your experience is please - it will help us figure things out.

2. Avadantis

Avadantis Kobold

It's dropping pretty consistently. Made me restart a fight twice already.

It would appear that if you're starting at the screen a bit too long, it disconnects you. Though maybe it was a ninja feature...

3. Django Hawkins

Django Hawkins Mushroom Warrior

I just tried refreshing the live page. I got a checking server message for 2 minutes (which is unusual), then "server down for maintenance"

4. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

In a match: fine.
    In the MP lobby: 3 disconnects in about 5 minutes.

5. Minmaxer

Minmaxer Kobold

I dropped once while queuing for a MP game. Then relogged and had no problems playing a full match and half of another one until the server went down. My MP match against the AI was super fast and responsive.

6. Wenadin

Wenadin Kobold

Can't even connect. I keep getting a message telling me that the server is down for maintenance.

7. Vince

Vince Kobold

Weird.. I havn't had any disconection whatsoever.. and played a full match until the server went down.

8. xNatzu

xNatzu Kobold

the last game i had on multiplayer before the last force logout was fine.. won a match in 17 mins. barely finished it with the last 2 minute warning..

9. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I was just now sitting in the MP lobby studying the interface and twice it dropped the connection after a few minutes while I was in a another browser tab using this forum (using Chrome).

10. Jon

We've found some clues as to what's happening and it will require a new build to fix. Sorry!

We'll be deploying one shortly.

11. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

What happens in an MP game that ends mid-match?

12. Jon

Any user that drops is considered to have lost.

13. Jon

Yeah, that sucks and I'm sorry if that happened to you :(

14. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

It didn't, but I was in a match when that went out. Thanks for the info though, good to know. No more queuing while things are unstable!

Can I suggest some alternatives? Such as either a coin flip that randomly lets one win, or both people lose 10 points? I think I'd cry if I lost 32 points due to being in a game when servers went down unexpectedly.

15. Jon

The problem is that we can't distinguish between that and someone who deliberately closes their client. You wouldn't want that to be a strategy that results in a 50% win rate.

16. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

Ah, I see. Fair enough.

I don't know what's feasible. It's rarely going to be an issue. My concern was that you did a quick restart earlier without the normal 30 minute warning. Perhaps in the longer term, you could work on an alternative to everyone losing (though hopefully in the long run, restarts are rare!).

17. Soulsarse

Soulsarse Kobold

Just got dropped again...been happening since the first fix of the new build. Seems like it only happens when I am idle for more than a few minutes, but really annoying when it happens partway through a campaign battle that is going well, and then I'm down an attempt at the module when I log back in :(

18. Jon

A build that (hopefully) fixes this is on it's way.

19. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

Thanks, that's good news! I have been unable to play all morning and had to do actual work instead. Boo.

20. j-wiz

j-wiz Blue Manchu Staff Member

It looks like there's a bug (which we've now hopefully fixed and will be pushing out to the test server) with the code that's meant to keep the server informed that the client is still alive. That resulted in activating some other existing code to boot idle users offline - first with the default of 90 seconds, and then increased to 5 minutes after the first "fix".

I guess until we get that one pushed out: make sure you're playing actively and not just sitting there for 5 minutes or more doing nothing.