[Discussion] Accelerate Time

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Deepweed, Jul 17, 2015.

?

If you think it's viable, what do you think is the best use of Accelerate Time? If not, why?

1. Triggering card draw attachments

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Triggering burn attachments

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Triggering terrain attachments

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
  4. Triggering active traits (e.g. Slippery and Dimensional Traveller)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Supporting mainstream builds with a limited quantity of it

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. It's not viable; it requires a setup that is too complex.

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. It's not viable; its availability is far too limited.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  8. It's not viable; opponents will run attachments too.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

That's a wizard + priest build. Not a wizard build.

2. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I take it Burfft was straining your brain?

3. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

My apologies

4. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

I never burfft bro, not even once.

5. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

It's never good to leave the most important and integral piece of the build out.

6. Kerensky

Kerensky Orc Soldier

I didn't think much of this card until I starting using more than a single mage in a party. Wow debuffing and terrain changing and firing it all on command is nutty.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  7. boopn

boopn Kobold

At first blush, seems like it'll only be viable on volcano/bless builds. But then I found it's hard to get a lot of volcano while also using a yellow token just for accelerate time. Plus volcano is hard to use in high ELO matches when opponents know how to play against it. Not sure how others are able to use accelerate time effectively. Maybe I"ll try building a burning deck with it, but I don't have much hope for fitting it in properly. I can't imagine having a build with 4 of them among 2 wiz while still have great staves.

The other day I was cursing that an opponent got blind rage when I sent a handicap their way with a rad bomb. Now in this specific situation I can how it could possibly be a handicap.

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It gets a lot harder to play around with Accelerate Time, fwiw.

Also I think the standard would be 1 Volcano wiz, 1 AT wiz.

9. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

After triggering card draw after card draw for a huge card advantage, I can conclude that it's definitely worth its emerald status. Bless + Unholy Energy gives you FOUR cards for the price of one emerald (and triggering all your offensive terrain + fire + blind rage!). There's also the chance of drawing another Accelerate Time or two, which would increase the free card advantage to 7 or 10, respectively. I find myself hitting the draw limit from time to time, but instead of the draws being replacements like with Inspiration, they're just... new cards.

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Was someone doubting its strength? It can be hard to set up but when it does work it does work. The only question I have is whether or not it'll end up being too format-warping. If and when it does I'll hit it with the nerfbat a few times.

11. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I ran a copy in 1-2 games and i wonder why it cant be used to shake enemy attachements with duration?

12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It triggers start of round effects, it doesn't actually 'speed up time' - no durations are affected.

13. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I don't know, I've just found it underwhelming in respect to mainly only drawing one of six or seven in situations where the card will hurt me just as much, if not more, than my opponents.

I'm sure there will be an instance where it will be perfect, and I'll destroy a dwarf warrior in one round, but it seems like those will be too few and far between from making this a regular part of the deck. Having a dedicated accelerating wizard seems like a good way to have a weak wizard, due to all major tokens being on items, and lacking in the armor/damage area, and if that one dies, you're left with another wizard who has had it's arsenal power decreased due to expected additional damage. It wouldn't kill the deck, but it's going to give a big advantage to those warriors that can move 3745986589436289759823 times in a round.

Maybe it will work well with an acid wizard and an arcane burst wizard, I don't know. It just seems like a lot of cost for marginal benefit at this point.

14. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

I was tricking around, and seem to have made a reasonably alright deck using two priests with radioactive terrain and Unholy Energy and wizard with a mix of Accelerate Time and terrain effects (didn't immediately drop me too much rating, at least). Boiling Warper and Reality Warper seem to be the nicest item to have it on, in general, though I don't speak from experience. The cards that come with most of the items seem pretty reasonable, no huge drawback to using them.
    Radioactive terrain probably isn't the best use of this, but it is fun. Probably a bit too random for most people though.

15. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

This is winning, on average, 1 out 5 games after some extensive testing (not counting matches where @Deepweed presented my strategy to everyone in the chat window of the match at the onset)

j. lawrence, the virtuous
    Level 9 Human Wizard

t. swift, the destroyer
    Level 3 Human Wizard

j. chastain, the tempest
    Level 3 Human Wizard

Only 4 Accelerating Times, but it could be 8. Even then, you'll have to hide your wizards away to stockpile the card until you can use it enough to be potent. As there is no manner for 3-wizard teams to draw cards other than happening upon something like Inspirational Thinking, Leadership, or Toughness, it is not a viable card for three wizard builds. A very nice accessory, but not something to build around.

I'd say take this with a grain of salt, as I am a horrible player of this game, and I know my losses are due to my horrible play, and not the luck of my draws, but I really think the only time I'd use this is if I had a major token laying around....but then I would be wondering why it wasn't on one of my staves.

16. Heretiick

Heretiick Goblin Champion

As a long time wizards player I want to weigh in on this card.

First, it is obviously a very strong card and I think that it's value (Emerald) and availability (max 4 per wizard) are both right. I might be a little biased towards wizards but when used correctly I think that it will be a force to be reckoned with in high rated matches even at these levels.

Second, I don't think it will be as strong as people think in volcano builds. I think that it will work in volcano but it won't be something that gives volcano the edge over other uses. I think that it's burn potential greatly outshines volcano potential. Flame Warper is hands down the best item with Accelerate Time on it. With Focused Pyromancy and the proper staff combo (many burn staff combos are effective) you could easily be doing more damage to a greater amount of opponents than with volcano. Not to mention that paired with a priest that has Healing Beacon can help you recover from Firestorm.

ParodyKnaveBob, Vakaz and Sir Veza like this.
  17. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

It's nice to see you commenting on this. You did get me really interested in wizards, after all.

My thoughts exactly. I've been testing it out, and it has been yielding good results across majority of builds.

The strength of the card, I believe, lies in its universal use. It does more when more cards can apply it, and that's why I think Volcano doesn't work to well (it's a gold card). If your deck is based on cards that can trigger the effect but do well without it, then it will work wonders. Stone Spikes is suddenly not that paper-ish. You'll begin considering every card you put in the deck.

For instance, in one setup I had which took me to 1600 for the first time, I had Accelerate Time proc 2 Unholy Energy, a Healing Beacon, fire attachments, and an acid terrain to remove armor all in one go. That gave a tremendous advantage.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  18. RedPower

RedPower Kobold

I can't believe nobody has brought up the topic of using Radioactive Spray.

This card is my go-to accelerator. Some of the handicaps are downright disabling. Trip, Fright can swing a match quite heavily. Vulnerable and Vegetable Parts can make bejeweled elves very fragile. Some cards, like Festering Guts are actually unwanted (nobody wants hugs from a festering elf) - so what do you do? You hit the accelerate button, and push the unwanted handicaps off. Fresh new handicaps straight from the oven!

For this sort of build, I suggest an Elf cleric with dual St. Well Powermace and using a blue token for slippery - that range of 4 can sometimes bite you back since the goo can technically splash anywhere within 3 squares...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  19. Jezterscap

Jezterscap Lizardman Priest

Its not worth using for burn , its an overpriced instaburn.

It might function well in terrain decks but you wont see many of them due to its cost and item inconsistency.

20. Pathy

Pathy Orc Soldier

Uh, why not use it for both burn attachments AND terrain attachments?

I've long been using a 3 wizard party with 2 wizards that play mordecai's staffs and one wizard that has searing pain+staff of embers and a bunch of burning cards. This essentially just takes the major token that was being used by Solid Rock and/or Cinnabar Ring and basically just combos awesomely with Dimensional Traveler, Burning Attachments, and Volcanos.

That 3 Wizard build got me to 1720+ on a previous map rotation and once I get more time to play with the new Warpers I feel that it should be pretty powerful.

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.