Discard deck

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Romain672, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Romain672

Romain672 Kobold

Picture of the deck (click on link)

Hello,
    I have create a deck, based on discard card : perplexing ray, memory loss, mind worm, bless, etc...
    I used this deck on multiplayer, but it should work well on some campaign (who have few card), and be terrible on some other (who have many cards).

First
    Human Wizard

Second
    Human Wizard

Third
    Human Priest

I used one wizard with discard card+combustible+good trait cards+mobility ;
    one wizard with discard card+mobility+wall of fire
    one priest with sometimes high dommages+regen+draw+mind worm+mobility+purge : polyvalent.

First turn, you should try to take card avantage : by using mind worm, bless, or memory less/perplexing ray on someone who have 2 cards left.

Second and third turn, it's the moment where you are the most powerfull :
    - against melee : wait the opponent to come, discard all the card of the person who came, and put all your 'small burst' on him.
    If they come at two or three, you will generally loose, not many thing you could do with this deck.
    - againts wizard (warning to your combustible) : go on his range if you have many mobility cards (or let him come if not) and same thing : discard all his cards and put your burst on him.
    It's possible to check for kill his priest if he come in frontlane.
    With memory less/perplexing ray, you can force the chance for discard, or not, his last card. At turn 2 or 3, he will often have his more powerfull card in the last position.
    After, you can be able to choose between discard the mobility card or the hidden card (generally weak) of the opponent). And use wall of fire after.

Third/Fourth turn and after :
    You should be at 3 versus 2, with your 3 characters dammaged.
    Use your mobility against dwarf for take victory square, or just let him win one or two stars for draw again many cards.

The counter of this deck are sprint team, and everything who makes draw the opponent (defender's block, bless, etc).
    It's fun, and work etonnally well. Perhaps not to get more than 50% of victory, but enough to be near of it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Vholes, Krunail, trrst and 3 others like this.
  2. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

"It's fun,"
    That's the important part, right? $:^ b

Your priest gives you card advantage through drawing. If you wanted yet more discard, you might consider for your priest, if possible, some more Sundering Strike plus Unnerving Strike. Hm? $:^ ]

Edit: Another idea just came to mind. The human priest's movement I'm sure helps. Just as far as more discard ability goes, Elven Trickery might be another option to look into.

3. Romain672

Romain672 Kobold

I used the 'Sundering strike' not for discard armor, but for the dommages (13,13,8,heal3,heal3,heal3).

And beacause all my deck are based on discard, when i come in melee the opponent have no parry (but his allies can have defender's block and cause fumble who are always a bad thing, defender's block can be counter by using something like dissolve armor on an other person, and i have never seen cause fumble).

And 'Parry' vs 'Unnerving strike' are just 50% of chance to get 8dommages for 0card advantage ; and 50% to get 0dommages for -1card advantage. On a deck with 2 wizard i don't think this is a good idea.
    Perhaps it could work with something like 1wizard+2warior, but it will be really different.

I have no idea how use 'Elven Trickery'. I have to put my 2wizard on range of a single opponent, so except against aoe, the opponent should be able to choose who attack first. But in the theory, it should work, so i don't know.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  4. c4rnivean

c4rnivean Orc Soldier

The priest seems very inconsistent. Sure it's nice when you draw Mighty Bludgeon right when you need it but 4 or less damage is much more likely. I think you should maximize draw on the priest with Inspiring Presence (like Knife Of St. Blenko) and another Ulric's Bones. Altruism gives you card advantage too. Healing Hand Mace seems like a waste of tokens since Team Heal is weak, you could just take Sacrificial Axe or Vampire's Blade and use those tokens for draw/healing. You can more easily increase damage on your wizards, using terrain cards (even Hot Spot) or burn spells since they will have no move or armor. You could even switch in a Reality Warper or Vogel's Confusotron.

Also Wall of Illusion seems like a dead card so if you often don't get full value out of Forgetfulness, you could switch Spellbane Scepter for Farzil's Perplexing Horn.

5. Romain672

Romain672 Kobold

[I have none of these items (except sacrificial axe) :/]
    But yes, i'm agree with you, more vampiric could help.

But more i play, and more i think that Demonic Power haven't his place on this deck : 3 dommages + 1 card advantage for a gold rarity seems not powerful.

6. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I love it and I would consider it powerful.

7. visak13

visak13 Ogre

I love this deck so much that I come to see this deck everyday to find a workaround. And since most of these cards are range 8, I simply don't understand how to counter this deck really.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  8. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Raw damage from the distance. Especially fire damage.
    Sure it's not easy, but it's the only way, it seems.