Defining brief terms for a strategy guide

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Sir Knight, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

We have Gabbek's thread, and we have Pengw1n's thread, and there's long been the Hints and Tactics thread, but there's something else I've wanted to compile: a straight-out list of strategic information for each adventure and battle that you can implement in an instant.

Consider all the threads with people complaining about range-2 enemies, or armored enemies, or so on. You can read a list of enemy cards one by one, and that is incredibly helpful (thank you, Pengw1n!), but once you know how to play all you need is a reminder "this map has range-2 enemies." Or consider specific things like Combustible: it's a drawback attached to some good cards, but it is (almost) completely harmless if the enemies don't use fire. (The only risk is that it might bump off a useful attachment on your character if you go over limit.) As soon as someone says "no fire here," you know you can build with those weapons.

The problem is defining terms. I ask you: what is instantly useful to know? Here's my current list:

Map has . . .
    Terrain hazards
    Few walls (Large Weapon-safe)
    Many walls (Cautious Sneak-safe)
    No maneuverability

Enemies have these basic attack properties . . .
    Melee
    Projectiles
    Magic
    Preferred range (as one or more numbers)
    Speed (as a span, like 1 or 3-4)

These specific attacks (probably put in parentheses after the basic attacks, above) . . .
    Back attacks
    Card discard
    Push abilities (Immovable-safe)
    Penetrating (not Armor-safe)
    Burning (not Combustible-safe)
    Encumber
    Stun
    Curse attachments
    Terrain attachments

These defenses . . .
    Anti-melee (Armor, Blocks)
    Anti-magic (Armor, Blocks)
    General (Armor, Blocks)
    Amorphous Body (or other immunity cards)

And these weaknesses (only the ones which matter to your planning) . . .
    Clumsy
    Combustible

What else?

Edits: I have added everyone's suggestions.

2. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

I would consider speed (edit: and preferred range): the mobility is a notable difference fighting Shuffling zombies or Teleporting wisps.

This, together with terrain, will decide: is it a map where you are chasing or kiting, or is it a map where you pick a spot and hold it?

3. Sir Knight

How about in the "basic properties" adding a speed entry with a span? So, you might see "Speed 1" or "Speed 3-4."

I suggest that because I don't want a list of literally everything for every single monster one-by-one. That's Pengw1n's domain, or the wiki's, or wherever. I'm trying to help a player plan for a battle with so few words that you can get it in a glance.

4. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Any way to easily decipher an encounter with set parameters for "power users" sounds worthwhile, would be good to have an agreed upon setup! Then again, can everything be quantified in that matter? I guess the aim is - "this is what is here, it's up to you as the user to use it" - rather than "do this: a guide"?

Also, what information can be removed by the inclusion of screenshots - esp if it's an experienced user guide? I'd take that into consideration.

5. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

However you want to say it. :) Actually, the preferred range that I added with my edit is probably more important than speed, since it's really the range that makes Gary zip away from you. It's just something that came to mind: when planning boots and racial skill (which often has movement) it makes a difference depending on whether you expect to stand pat, step 1, or really chase, or kite. You had "no maneuverability" on the terrain list but I'm not sure projectiles/magic fully covers monster behavior.

6. Sir Knight

Oh, that's why I said "range-2 melee" and "high-range melee." If it makes more sense, that section could be edited to "Preferred range: X, Y, Z." So, for instance, a simple Troglodyte battle would say:

Map:
    Terrain hazards

Enemies, basic:
    Melee
    Preferred range: 2
    Speed: 3

Defense:
    Armor

As to a screenshot: that would render "few walls" and "many walls" redundant, but not necessarily "no maneuverability." However, all three terms are subjective until we get to places that have literally no safe space for Large Weapon (hello, Diamonds of the Kobolds). I'd keep all those terms: because they are set aside visually, the experienced user can just use which of the two alternatives (map or text description) is preferred.

7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I tend to go on memory for these kinds of things but i do like the idea and i would happily contribute to it either here or on the wiki

8. Sir Knight

A wiki is a good place for templates. If there is to be an entry for every single battle, I'd hope to see a short list like this before (or even instead of) excruciating subjective analysis.

9. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

If you decide on the Template for now ill take a minute or two just to fill it out after each map ^^

10. Sir Knight

Whoa, really? That would be awesome, but let's give this another day or so for people to weigh in. For instance, you'll see I edited to mention Immovable by name: there are a lot of specific-use cards like this which may be central to strategic decisions, beyond Combustible and all the others I'd already mentioned. I want to hear what matters to people.

Just to plow ahead with an example, here's how I'd summarize The Wizard's Workshop:

Workshop Level 1

Map:
    Few walls

Enemies, basic:
    Melee
    Preferred range: 1
    Speed: 2

Defenses:
    Armor

Weaknesses:
    Clumsy

Workshop Level 2

(Same as 1)

Workshop Level 3

Map:
    Few walls

Enemies, basic:
    Melee (general, Armor discard)
    Magic (Burning)
    Speed: 2, 4

Defenses:
    Armor

Weaknesses:
    Clumsy

Workshop Apex

(Same as 3)

. . . As you can see from Level 3 there, I'm not even bothering to report the difference between Ornithopters (by the way: that's currently misspelled in your thread, Pengw1n) and Golems. I was intending an aggregate for build purposes, so I just summarized all the melee alternatives, moved straight on to magic, listed both speeds together, and listed Armor and Clumsy even though those only apply to the Golem type.

An experienced player can just glance at a screenshot and go "Oh, right, the Golems only do melee" and so on. Someone who actually WANTS to know how every speed and attack goes with every monster can look that up in a full monster list.

Pengw1n likes this.
  11. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Just a comment on that even tho I'm not sure if you just did this as a quick example. The first map is the corridor T-junction thing right? I would mention something about it being cramped both for the sake of big weapon and kiting,

12. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

T-junction is Compass of Xorr, not Wizard's Workshop - i e the other golem encounter.

Edit: Lol, I mean Lord Stafford!

13. Sir Knight

Yeah. Care to pick some complex adventure for me to try and summarize?

14. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I'm a dum dum sorry

lord batfords manor is very mixed and interesting

15. Sir Knight

Okay, sure. Here you go. Now ask yourself: after reading the "summary" at the top, do you feel you know everything you need about the adventure? Myself, I don't know if I even need the individual battles in such detail: matters like which battles have dogs (thus back attacks and Step cards) interweave throughout the whole adventure, and I think an experienced gamer could just look at six screenshots to figure that out. Extra notes like the "(only boss)" thing could be helpful reminders in case the gamer lost track.

Lord Batford's Manor

Summary

Map:
    Terrain hazards
    Many walls

Enemies, basic:
    Melee (mostly Penetrating, some back attack)
    Projectile (Penetrating)
    Preferred range: 1-2, 4 (only boss), 7
    Speed: 3, Step cards

Defenses:
    Block (general, anti-melee)
    No Armor

Weaknesses:
    Clumsy

Servants' Quarters

Map:
    Completely walled

Enemies, basic:
    Melee (general, Penetrating)
    Projectile (Penetrating)
    Preferred range: 1-2, 7

Defenses:

Weaknesses:
    Clumsy

Kitchen

Map:
    Terrain hazards

Enemies, basic:
    Melee (general, Penetrating, back attack)

Weaknesses:
    Clumsy

Lower Halls

Map:
    Many walls

Enemies, basic:
    Melee (general, Penetrating)
    Preferred range: 1-2

Defenses:

Weaknesses:
    Clumsy

Ballroom

Map:
    Many walls

Enemies, basic:
    Melee
    Projectile (Penetrating)
    Preferred range: 7

Parlor

Enemies, basic:
    Preferred range: 1-2

Defenses:

Weaknesses:
    Clumsy

Sanctuary

Map:
    Terrain hazards
    Many walls

Enemies, basic:
    Projectile (Penetrating)
    Preferred range: 1-2, 4

Defenses:

Weaknesses:
    Clumsy

Edit: Yes, I think I personally would prefer that summary at the top plus 6 screenshots. What I learn from the summary: don't use Penetrating, get ready for fine maneuvers, and don't worry about bringing much armor. If you want a melee approach, your only defenses are Impenetrable Nimbus and Blocks (or lots of healing). You could also do a magic approach.

16. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Yep summary + 6 screenshots would probably give about as much possibly even more in some cases. Also just pointing that out some of the mobs have armor so no armor is slightly incorrect.

17. Sir Knight

Which ones have armor? I never triggered any.

18. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Its either those guys with axe and shield or the dog i just remember triggering that blue armor 3 card in that adventure and i did it earlier today so i hope my memory isn't that bad.

19. Sir Knight

Solid Mail? If so, can you double-check which enemy gets it? Pengw1n reports that neither the Man at Arms nor the Mercenary has armor, and I personally would have expected an enemy "with a shield" to have nastier Blocks (in this case, Duck). And the dog isn't an "armored dog," so, again, I'm unsure.

20. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I will double check, as i run many quick adventures in succession there is a small but existing chance i got them mixed up with something else.