Debate Etiquette

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Scarponi, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I wanted to comment on something that bugs me every time I see it (even in debates that I'm merely reading and have no strong opinion on). This is something I've seen often and by multiple members so in no way am I calling anyone out or pointing fingers at particular occurrences (part of the reason this is a new thread rather than a response on any existing one).

Debates are healthy and wonderful things on forums (and in life), especially when they're focused on a search for truth, an exchange of ideas, and a willingness to learn rather than attempts to show superiority or flaunt one's "rightness." This is greatly helped by good debate etiquette. Now while there are many things that go into proper etiquette for debates, I want to touch on one.

There are times where one or more members of a debate decide they want to exit the debate (whether because they feel that it has irreversibly stalled, that it's not the proper place/time for the topic, they believe it's getting too personal, etc.), this is perfectly fine and anyone who wishes to do so should be allowed. Such debate exits can take many forms: "I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree." "...but we're getting off the original topic so let's just drop it." etc. However, if someone chooses to quit a debate, it is not proper that in their departure post that they also make further arguments on the topic. This "dump & run" technique is an underhanded way (whether intended or not) to get the last word. If one is going to make a further argument, they have the obligation to give their opponent a chance for a rebuttal. If instead one wishes to end the debate without a resolve, this is fine, but one should have the respect to realize that it is not appropriate to fire one last shot and then ask your opponent to hold their fire. If one is exiting a debate for whatever reason, that person should also be willing to sacrifice having the last word, if they are not, then they need to be willing to continue the debate further.

If it's needed, a clarification: I'm not saying to exit a debate one must concede the argument, just that one shouldn't fire counter arguments at the last post and then try to end the debate without allowing the counter arguments themselves to be rebutted.

Example of an appropriate exit: "It has struck me that we have deviated greatly from the original topic, I'm sorry to cut this short as I have more I could say, but I'm going to exit this debate as I don't want to further hijack this thread."

Versus the uncouth dump and run version: "I disagree with your point A because.... and B is not quite correct because... and your argument against my point from the previous post doesn't hold since... ...but it's clear we just don't see eye to eye so lets just agree to disagree.

TO COMMENTERS: I'm happy to hear anyone's thoughts on the topic whether on this particular piece of debate etiquette or any other aspects of debate etiquette, however please refrain from pointing to actual examples or trying to single out individuals, thanks!

Jarmo, Pengw1n, Bandreus and 6 others like this.
  2. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I completely agree with the above.

I would also add, refrain from posting without re-reading whatever you've written. This is especially helpful when in the middle of a heated exchange of opinions. If, by any chance, your post isn't bringing anything new to the discussion, then simply don't post anything.

Just to put this straight: one of the best things about online forums is that the previous posts aren't going to go anywhere. This drives me crazy every time I see it. It's not like re-stating the same argument over and over again, maybe with different wording, is going to make your position any stronger. Quite the contrary, on one hand you'd be insulting other participant's intellect, as if you thought people needed reiteration in order to "get stuff". On the other, you'd just be irritating people off and, possibly, at best. That's of course assuming you're not directly inquired for explaining yourself further.

TL;DR; You're just one voice in the community as a whole. Respect that fact, your fellows and their intelligence.

And always remember, most of all, you don't want to be this guy.

Jacques, neoncat and Sir Veza like this.
  3. Questor

Questor Ogre

What is the point?
    Do you really think the people who behave horribly on the forum will now be better human beings after they read this?
    I guess you are new to the internet.

But maybe those people you mentioned just gave up arguing, they just want to make a last comment and forget the hole thread and donĀ“t want to waste anymore time.
    I think it is better than some posters who do what Bandreus said. Repeat the same thing over and over and spam a whole thread until others are not able to see a counterargument anymore.

And i think this belongs into the Off-Topic section.

Squidy likes this.
  4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Touche! (You got a laugh out of me with this. :))

The point is that I think as a whole the CH community is phenomenal. Overall compared to a lot of forums they are friendly, helpful and relatively reasonable. I think that general personality can exist even when opinions are opposed and so I'm just trying to further encourage that type of behavior. I may or may not effect a change in others, but if its something that some do unconsciously (which I think is the case for many) and they stop and think about it the next time they start to write a "dump and run" post, then the whole community wins, and if they don't, we've lost nothing.

You may be right about it being in the Off-Topic section (I pay little attention to sections as I use the "New Posts" button for all my reading), if any moderator agrees and wants to move this thread I have no objections.

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I applaud your efforts, @Scarponi, @Bandreus; I just fear they won't make the idiots less wrong...

6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Like I said... nothing lost.

7. Ector

Ector Hydra

Personally I am not depressed when the described behaviour happens: if somebody doesn't want to discuss something, that doesn't make his final argument more sound :)

I hope that wasn't said about me :) I like a good discussion and almost never leave it.

8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Well said.

Our discussion came after I started this thread, and as I said - wasn't targeting anyone in particular.