Customizable parties and computer A.I.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aeryon, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

Per the FAQ I see that multiplayer/co-op is something not initially available at launch (something I hope is available soon, because this looks like it will be fun to play with the wife). So far, the few screenshots have shown full parties. This being the case, will all of these characters be controlled by the player or will we control one main and the others controlled by computer A.I.?

Also, any info you can give on party creation? Are we going to be able to customize parties to allow us to have, for example, two tanks and a healer or two casters and a tank?

Thanks in advance and anxiously awaiting the release of this game!

2. Dorian

Dorian Mushroom Warrior

All characters in a player's party will be under player control.

Absolutely!

-Dorian

3. Bryan

Bryan Kobold

This brings up some more thoughts about the party. Will there be a party size min and max limit? Will the adventures scale to the party size? Would my warrior or wizard be able to attempt to "solo" an adventure?

4. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

I guess that a sufficiently high level would be able to solo lower level battles.

5. Bryan

Bryan Kobold

Is that an option? Or will the software force me to have a set minimum amount of party members?
    How many friends would I be able to play with at a time? I would guess that a group of 6 characters would be getting up there.

6. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I don't think so, maybe your cards will be slightly better but i believe that overall that you will still need a strategic full party. Maybe if they cards get much better then you could drop 1 or 2 but i don't think we will ever see a single character solo a dungeon. Least that's how i foresee

7. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

Sweet! Thanks for the quick response... and input from all the others!

8. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Parties are fixed size - of three characters. I don't think we'll allow you to take larger parties but, now that you mention it, there's no real reason why we could allow smaller parties if you really wanted. It would make your life *much* harder of course. Could be good for a challenge or achievement though.

9. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

You could solo it by setting up a packet party of three and leaving two of them standing at the entrance, perhaps.

10. Rising Zan

Rising Zan Mushroom Warrior

How about 4? sorry, this is more of a personal itch than actual balancing but i always dug parties of 4. Feel free to ignore me ^_^.

Bryan likes this.
  11. Bryan

Bryan Kobold

I would think 4 would be perfect. Fighter, Mage, Rouge, Cleric. Hit the 4 basics. Then again, I don't know the system. Clerics might not be necessary. Plus, my gaming group had 4 solid players.

12. Jon

Four just gets a bit hard to control - you end up with a lot of cards that you have to juggle. Remember, you have a hand for each character. If you have 5 cards for each you will be holding 20 cards, which is a lot to manage.

13. Bryan

Bryan Kobold

I guess my thought for gameplay for 4 characters was a multiplayer view, where every player was in control of their own character. I guess it would be hard to juggle 20 cards in single player mode.

14. Rising Zan

Well, maybe it should be an option to have 4 as a max, but not make it nessesary. Like im sure an experienced player once they got a good grip on the game and has made 4 decks could probably control 4 characters. Maybe make that as a super hard mode perhaps? The more characters that are in play the more/harder monsters there will be on the game board. I play alot of the old school JRPGs like Final Fantasy 1-6 so im used to controling 4. Though in this game i could tottaly see it being a challange, but maybe that's what can make it so fun.

15. Jon

Ah, yeah. In co-op multiplayer - which we haven't even started working on yet - I could imagine having quite a few more characters in the group.

secran and Bryan like this.
  16. Rising Zan

Horray for possibilites!

Bryan likes this.