[Custom Maps] Alternate Histories

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Inkfingers, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

I love speculative Fannon, so I made some. Enjoy these simple scenarios that explain why each of the groups in Cardstock II gets to be there. I intend to submit these to MM, but I wanted to get a little feedback before I did so, as this is literally the first post I'm making on these forums, and the first three maps I've ever made. Testing indicates my computer doesn't catch fire when I run them, though, so that's a good sign.

Comments, criticisms, and witticisms are all much appreciated.

Timeline-wise, the first scenario takes place whenever; the second, some time before and ; the last, nearly concurrently with

~Another Day At The Office~
    Four noble and valiant groups of adventurers fought in King Osirius' Tournament of Champions. Everyone knows the tale of the tourney's victors, but what of the others? Three stories have yet to be told...

The King's Magistrate had offered a hefty bounty for the head of Dark Dave, the leader of a fearsome pack of mercenary bandits that had long plagued the Royal Road. It had taken a phenomenal effort, but between Karagrik's ax, Lorzil's spear, and Andengal's magic, the three of you had managed to take him down. Returning to the Magistrate's office revealed a new wrinkle in this plan, however - Gethan Deathzap, driven mad by his defeats in the area, had built himself a small army of golems and was now assaulting the Magistrate's office, demanding that his losses be overturned. Only a single guard still stood between this automaton attack and the Magistrate's fortified panic room. Without hesitation, you surge forward to give aid to the besieged guard. There is glory to be had!
    New Canvas.jpg
    The mechanized assault defeated, you finally turn in your bounty. The magistrate rewards you handsomely, adding an extra item as a bonus for saving his life. The three of you grin among yourselves - word of your deeds will certainly reach the king's ear.

~The Sepulcher of Alet Zhav~

Dwarves are well know for their propensity for digging deep and digging far in pursuit of riches. Therefore, it is little surprise that it was your clan that first uncovered the location of the buried Sepulcher of Alet Zhav. The necromancer, with the aid of his undead giant Tvericus, had been terrorizing the surrounding countryside up on the surface for quite some time. As you charge into his lair, you note with some apprehension that the mad sorcerer seemed largely unperturbed by your sudden incursion, and in fact seems to be working some kind of dark magic at his mystic alter! However, fear is not a dwarven emotion, and so you rally and charged into the fray. These undead will stand no chance against the might of the dwarven heroes Melbrog, Felvin and Melzag!
    New Canvas2.jpg
    The undead defeated, and Alet Zhav's magic broken, you spend some time contemplating what to do with their tainted bodies, as befouling the earth with their dark remains would offend your dwarven sensibilities. In the end, you stash their bodies in a nearby abandoned mausoleum before heading off to claim your reward. Surely they will be secure there.

~The Binding of Xanthicius~

The paranoid dragon Xanthicius always suspected that defeat was a possibility. Thus, it cunningly prepared a cloned body for it's soul to inhabit, should it ever be defeated in battle. Fortunately, elven Mystics had long ago divined it's location, and bound it to sleep with potent magics. Sealed it behind nine mystic signs, it would be unable to awake, should it try to retreat to the cloned body after death. The call went out for the three of you, Sharp Cucelden, Blessed Anrime, and Galedirer Earth-Changer, to check the strength of the seals on the behest of the Mystics. Just as you were finishing your inspection, a group of demons suddenly burst into the inner chamber! One of them snarled a dark incantation laden with foul intent, and slowly, Xanthicius began to stir in his prison, and the seals began to creak and strain. You must defeat the demons and realign the mystic seals before the dragon breaks free!
    New Canvas3.jpg
    It seems that some demons still hid in our world, and emerged from their holes when they felt the call of their old master. However, they could not free their dark master in the face of your elven skill and grace! The Mystics hand you several mystic artifacts for your trouble, promising to double their guard in your absence, at least until the last of the roving demons are cleared from the area. Thanks to you, the seals are secure, Cardhuntria can rest assured that the dragon Xanthicius will not terrorize the countryside for many years to come.
    --------------------------------------------

Tahdah! There you go. Enjoy at your leisure.

Maybe someday I'll make a scenario where Mighty K and company go hunt down Dark Dave. Eh, we'll see.

Also yes, the scenario name for the 3rd scenario doesn't match. The file I uploaded matches the text in this post, and while the name is wrong, nothing else is.

Attached Files:

2. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Interesting maps and scenarios... I'll have more comments after testing. But first, you should know that:

- Large mobs (those which draw 6+ cards) have a tendency to hang the game on many machines. You happen to be using small numbers of characters which draw lots of cards (2 or 3 each), so you might be okay.
    - There's a MM rule that custom maps can't make heavy use of content which hasn't been used in the single player campaign. Unfortunately, that includes the lava tiles at the moment. (I speculate that those tiles will be used in the next release, however...)

3. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

Good to know. I should be able to replace the lava with something else visually pleasing. I know the first MM had a pair of Bronze Golems in it, so I figured I was good, but maybe that's how people figured out this bug exists. Not sure what to do about the Ice Demons, as making them singletons makes the difficulty a little much, and making there only two makes it easy. If people have problems with this when they play it, let me know, and I can look into tweaking things.

4. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

welcome to the custom forum, we need more :D. They look cool, will try then when im back home, but i do like the way you puted the doors on the first map (like they are open)

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I thought so too, but the lava tiles are used in one of the current MP maps so they may be okay, since:
    (Zen and Halloween tiles only appeared in MP, never SP.)

The VolcanoWall tiles haven't officially appeared yet, so avoid those. I really wish they would post in the submission thread exactly what shouldn't be used yet.

6. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

Been thinking on difficulty and balance some more - the first two missions lack a certain punchiness provided by the dragon knocking the ceiling down on you and breathing it's corrosive breath in the last one. I think I'm going to try tweaking the mobs - maybe make the golem singleton bronze instead of tin in the first mission, and then swap the regular zombie for a festering one in the second mission. We'll see how that goes - I'll throw updated files here once I've tested it a bit.

7. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

Edits tested - it was improved by swapping around the monsters a little bit. Now things are slightly more challenging. Here's the modified levels:

Attached Files: