[Custom Map] The Fountain of Youth (PVE)

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by tuknir, Sep 22, 2013.

1. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

The rumor hitted you like a storm: The evil and diabolic Lord Stafford found the location of the Fountain of Youth.

With it, he hopes to gain eternal youth so is reign of terror can last forever.

You must brave the Jungle, survive its dangers and stop Lord Stafford before its too late.

ps: again im sorry for the lack of the lower doodles, it seems i cant put then just right :\

Any Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

For lower doodads: I notice that most of your doodads are slightly off-center. It doesn't look bad or anything, it just makes me think to mention the checkmark in the top left of the screen for "snap to grid" (or something like that). Click it and it's way easier to get the doodads on target! Woo!

For other feedback: I gotta say I like the spiders. I don't know what it is, but the map looks more menacing with those spiders peering at me.

3. tuknir

Sir Knight, ye i have alot of trouble puting all then togheter,speacial the lower ones, thanks for the great advice. Hope i will do better on the next one.
    Thanks also for your input :) i tough the spiders where a nice touch :). Hope all enjoy the map and the idea behind it :)

4. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Quick question - Are you entering this into the contest? If so then I'll change the thread title for you, and if not then I'll play it! (I'm not going to play any of the contest entries until the entry period has ended, to limit preconceptions etc)

5. tuknir

Can i enter more than 1 map? i submitted already one.
    But no Farbs, fair is fair, already submitted one, so go on and play this one :). Feedback is welcome ofcourse

6. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Wow, this was really fun!

<spoilers>
    I love that you boxed in the Hydra, giving me the choice to fight it or path around it via monkey island. The competing party on the opposite bank are a great narrative touch, and they play well in the map too. Stafford took the fountain, the priest kept me at bay by healing the monkeys from across the river, and the elite guard slipped past the hydra to stab at my wizard. Luckily my elf warrior was fast enough to slip past the last few monkeys and catch up with Stafford, holding the point while my wizard used a combination of frost encumbrance and careful footwork to prevent the priest and the remaining monkey from catching her.
    </spoilers>

What I really love about this scenario, at least in my attempt of it, is that it created multiple dramatic events, each tied to gameplay.

Visually, I enjoyed how busy and dense the jungle looked but I think it could be improved with the careful addition of transition overlays, board edges and the like. At the moment it's very griddy, which can be hard on the eye. I find the transitions between grass and dirt with scrubby grass very jarring, for instance. There are also a couple of decals which indicate Blocking terrain but are on Open tiles, but they didn't actually come into play for me.

Anyhow, overall I think this may look a little scrappy but turns out to be a lot of fun. Nice work!

7. tuknir

Ye, the idea was go north ,a easier but slower way or go hydra way and face it.

In my trys there i had fun too, speacial when the hydra tosted the damn monkeys :p although you could hear me scream sometimes: "Stop healing the freaking monkeys you @#%#$" :p

Thanks for the great review and advices Farbs. This was my second try at creating a map, so hope with time i will able to work better on the transitions overlays. Maybe i try polish bit more the map and put here a improved version :)

edited: i fixed some of the stuff Farbs pointed out, and added the lower doodads ans some gm aids, and tryed put the map better looking. Still looks alot gridy :(

Attached Files:

8. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless Goblin Champion

(This comment is based on the original map in the OP. If you're going to update it, please edit it into the first post where casual browsers will see it before playing through. >_>)

This map is ugly. The graphical niceties are too dense and scattershot to be effective, and my tactics were initially messed up by blocking/difficult/open settings not matching the visual tiles. It was interesting to play at least, though the choice of route felt obvious for me - I can't imagine many decks where taking down a dangerous 50 HP monster would be easier than just free move / flight / teleport / what-have-you through the northern path.