[Custom Map] PVE Playtesting

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Pengw1n, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Here's a map I've been messing with - try it out! I'm not going to be posting any screenshots as I want you to go in as blind as possible and give me some feedback based on that. I'd say it might be a bit harsh and special, intentionally trying to mess with playstyles - so be prepared for that. Once I've balanced it more proplery I'll do a proper post with a little story background and some suggestions how to beat it, unless it turns out to be a breeze!

Edit1: Broken terrain tiles sorted.

Edit2: Files removed for now for fixing.

Jayce and Farbs like this.
  2. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

I tried The Book of Faces. It's a lot of fun!

On my first attempt I ended up with my entire party stuck on the first bridge, with the other end blocked by a zombie. Enemy whittled my party down and I lost pretty badly.

2nd attempt I hung back, killing the first Zomb with a wall of fire. Its Festering Guts then made a mess of the first frost zerk and the other zomb. I managed to scoot my warrior and wizard across the bridge quickly, but my priest was not so lucky and barely scraped across a few rounds later.

Unfortunately it looks like there are a couple of terrain bugs, so I wasn't able to finish the scenario. Most notably, the 2nd bridge starts out with two impassible tiles, so there's no way to cross it. There's also a carved stone head just before the bridge marked as Open, which I think is supposed to block.

I look forward to trying this again w/ fixed terrain. Oh, and I love the use of a door on a VP as a timer. Very cool.

3. Pengw1n

Oh, I did some changes to the water to make it more uniform and forgot to re-open those tiles. Doh!

Nice getting that far either way and good luck on your next attempt - fixed terrain and uploaded.

4. Farbs

Cheers! Yeah, the terrain can be a bit fiddly like that. If we had ever planned to use the board editor as anything other than an internal tool we would have redesigned it. I recommend always checking the terrain before finishing up.

5. Pengw1n

Don't sell yourself short considering there's quite a few interesting maps already available and none of the forum map designers are game devs by vocation (AFAIK)? Only thing I'm having issues with is that some tiles seem to lack mirrored variants (and they don't seem to be fully rotateable) making certain builds messy, and the darker version of the water I was using earlier (and cause of the terrain deselect issue) lacked a properly coloured middle tile to fill with. I'd say that's pretty minor complaints in terms of useability... ;)

6. Farbs

Oh no! It happened again!
    After editing and saving the board, did you then re-import it into the scenario file?
    The scenario includes its own copy of the board, so just saving over the .brd doesn't affect it. You need to then open the .scn, import the new .brd, then save the .scn.

7. Pengw1n

Doh, wasn't aware of this. Sadly I'm at work - so I'll remove the files for now and reupload when I get home tonight.