[custom battle] That's MY penny!

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Aldones, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

How fortunate, you found a penny!
    Wait... Crud. Everyone else noticed it right after you did.
    Curses! You've become the unwitting underdog in a life and death struggle for who can get the penny first.
    The crowd gathering outside has begun to root for you.
    Don't let anybody take your penny!

(It's in the dead center of the room)

Muh Penny.jpg

Designed to be fast and silly, this battle's first two rounds are going to be really intense, and will probably decide who the victor will be right away. Everyone's got bashes, but you're (mostly) immune to all but the pushing effects, so if you can stand protectively on your penny long enough then IT'S YOURS! WOO!
    Having fingers instead of pseudopods, the enemy only needs one VP to pick the penny up, so don't let them end the turn while they're standing on it.
    Finally, whenever you move back onto the penny, it helps if you remember to yell "That's MY penny!"

Attached Files:

Pengw1n, PIZZA, Yth and 5 others like this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Holy cow that is ridiculously hard. I like the humor factor. Not sure I enjoy the servants from a flavor perspective, but maybe you can lampshade them somehow and it'll be fine. Nice work :)

3. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

The complete lack of any cultural cohesion between the teams was part of it's charm for me. This is just a bunch of random dudes that were out carousing in monsterville, and all ended up seeing something stupid that they felt was worth fighting over. :) It really didn't feel like a cool idea to me until I imagined, "...and there should be a bunch of humans cheering for the slime from the windows, just because he's the minority".
    I can pretty reliably beat it now, but it took a little getting used to. I wanted something that would be fierce, but if you knew you were doomed it wouldn't drag you through the mud and make you suffer another 10 minutes before you finally lost, if that makes any sense? I'm starting to get a little fed up with making longer battles, and then realizing from a GM's point of view that I've just asked my player to involve themselves in a rather long time investment. It makes me feel like I'd better give them a decent chance for victory so they're not accusing me of totally wasting a ton of their time with something that felt rigged wrong. Treating map construction that way makes boring maps that feel like you can patiently win them on every attempt on autopilot, so I traded a bit of brutality in exchange for brevity. Does that seem fair, or am I making this one too difficult? Originally I only had two kobolds, but then I just won 100% of my battles and the grand bash-a-thon never really seemed to get into full swing. I'd be hesitant to put it back that way again.

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Difficult is fine. :)

5. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

:)

PS: I'm aware I forgot lower doodads. They'll be fixed shortly.

edit: fixed here.

Attached Files:

6. Yth

Yth Orc Soldier

Man, this map is so cute. The little green guy looks so happy to have found a penny!

Died on my first try, succeeded on my second. A very fun and fast map!

7. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Yes cute map, i was doing ok, till i got pushed off the penny and i forgot that the human servents had team shifts :(

8. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Do you guys think this map would see any benefit from giving the slime or the enemies a little variance in their spawn locations? This seems like a really nit-picky detail, but even though I've enjoyed replaying it, it's gotten a bit annoying that everyone has the same starting locations. The problem is that moving anyone around is causing unintentional balance issues for either team. I had to be pretty precise with the spawns to make sure that the zombie couldn't first turn one-hit you, or that the enemies would'nt all aggro on the humans outside. I just can't tell if slightly varied spawns would make things more fun, or just threateningly random. :/

9. Yth

Yth Orc Soldier

Variance is always good for replayability. Unfortunately, while the map is thematic and very cute, it has a relatively low strategy requirement. In my first playthrough, I didn't draw amorphous body on the first round so I died on the first round.

Maybe you could randomize spawns for the lesser monsters, and assign a specific spawn for the big zombie?

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Oh, is that what went wrong for me XD

11. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I've added a bunch of spawns, and it seems to work fairly well:

penny.jpg

Not getting an Amorphous Body before the enemies reach you is still the biggest problem. Putting the servants into separate groups would help a lot with drawing more cards, but would probably make it way too easy.

Flaxative likes this.
  12. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

That was an interesting fight, thanks for making it! Before trying it I thought the servants were there just to provide cards but I soon learned their role was more diverse than that. Managed to beat it on my third try when I understood better how to use the servants and drew Amorphous Body soon enough. Quite the scrum it was!