Cult of the Bejeweled

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by exythe, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Youbo

Youbo Orc Soldier

ParodyKnaveBob and Scarponi like this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

TIL I can't read numbers

Updated my post to have more ... exhaustive numbers.

ParodyKnaveBob and Sir Veza like this.
  3. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

Well, you're perceiving things in a wrong way - actually the only problem is if a Common card is more powerful than a Legendary counterpart..

4. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

Why is it a problem if a common is more powerful than a legendary? There ought to be good commons, so the game doesn't turn into a whoever has the most time farming wins.

Legendaries are more specialized, or more focused, or more versatile, they don't just have more raw power.

Legendaries should let you do more interesting things. There's nothing complicated about bejeweled shortsword.

The devs have access to all the game that get played, they should be able to see if bejazzled elves are really pushing everything else out of the meta. If not, it's a good thing to have an archetype that's cheapish to build and less complex to play that does well, so newer players have an entry to competitive mp.

From the little I can see on Match stats at the meta site, it looks more like playing second is the biggest influence in ranked games, it's 45/55 last time I looked across last month's and this month's maps.

5. Youbo

Youbo Orc Soldier

From Flaxative Himself
    From the FAQ
    As Flaxative said, higher rarity =more complex,interesting and NOT straight-up more powerful.
    And from the FAQ, you can't put higher quality cards on an item without changing the level.

6. Wyvern25

Wyvern25 Kobold

The build does have weaknesses such as drawing traits late, traveling curses and blocks being dead cards to wizards. 3 wiz control/terrain teams can beat it, so can 2 wiz savage teams. Even so, this build is about speed. To be frank, I'd rather win or lose in less than 5 minutes than have a game go nearly 40 minutes-you know who you are. I'd rather have the equivalent of 8 chances to win rather than duke it out for near max time for a chance at getting absolutely nothing. I think much of the community feels the same way hence the shift to this faster variant; it is effective too.

Juxtapostion and Sir Veza like this.
  7. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

This has more to do with the fact that when the AI is part of a MP game, it's always player 1.

Flaxative likes this.
  8. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

They would explain it too. I wonder what the stats look like without the AIs. Melvin's really not very good.

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

We're not worried about it.
    Personally, I'm always glad when nigh-peasant builds are competitive. Was really happy when @The Final Doorman made 1500+ with a peasant version of 3DC back in the day.

ParodyKnaveBob and CT5 like this.
  10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I think legendaries should often have more raw power at the tokenless level, as they tend to have now.
    There are, and should be, highly competitive common and uncommon only builds.
    We have more unplayable legendaries than we need, particularly at higher levels. There should always be some duds, but in some item types there are too few that really have anything going for them.

11. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

No, I understand that ;)

So we change the algorithm and then we can have "cards with appropriate level" .. its not given in stone ..

This is card HUNTER game - we should find a joy in getting all those Legendary items .. and not get one and say "ok, it's one of those rare to find Legendary items, it has some tech, that is not competitive, lets just use Bejeweled Shortsword"

@SirVeza also pointed that we have more unplayable legendaries than we need .. I agree on that one..

If they need tech, let them have better tech.. I dont know.. whatever, just make them competitive..

12. Youbo

Youbo Orc Soldier

I agree with you here. I think the main problem is that tech in high-quality attacks is overpriced(make the attack pay too much damage for it for what they are worth) most of the time so straight up damage is often better. A +1 damage to all those bashes,sundering strikes,unnerving strikes,polearm slash etc. would help IMO.

Drakkan likes this.
  13. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

Exactly that .. most of tech is overpriced .. raw power attacks are simply better .. even armors are overpriced .. most players use tokenless armor .. as you dont get much by using a Major Token..

We could have more diversity if there were some cards (Helm, Armor) that offered different playstyle, but that required a Major Token .. so then at least there would be a diversity on weapons used (no more VP+Bejeweled, or double Bejeweled) as you would have to chose where you spend your 4 tokens ..

Btw, tech on some weapons used to be (probably too) good .. but nerfs reduced it (Dodge for example .. I suggested that dodge nerf could be done differently, preventing reusability and keeping dodge as competitive card.. now, nobody can/wants to rely on dodge, so we lost 3 great weapons .. you cannot keep both dodges and Reliable Mails .. and Reliable is so much better vs all those Wizards.. )

14. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Just had to jump in here:
    Ahem...
    Staff Of The Arctic (Legendary, 4/6 or 2/3 rare cards)
    Staff Of Winter (Rare, 0/6 rare cards)
    Staff Of The Misanthrope (Legendary, 4/6 or 2/3 rare cards)

Explain that. I dare you.

15. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

This has somthing to do with many copies of the same card. But yeah, Flax said something else on the previous page.

16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

4+ copies of a card on a weapon, or 3 copies of a card on a non-weapon, increases the rarity. 6 copies of a card on a weapon increases the rarity two steps. (Maximum rarity is still legendary hence Vibrant Pain.)

ParodyKnaveBob and Pawndawan like this.
  17. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

And that's what makes Copper Amulet what it is today. Its best feature is the 5 gp sell value.

18. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

So, back to the party at hand. I've played a couple more times tonight, won both with my cheapie versions. Swapped out the human warrior for a semi-vampire elf priest, who's also carting some Demonic Powers, because drawing two cards usually nets at least one more large attack, and he can move around almost as quick and deal decent damage himself with his gear. The step moves and elf mobility with big attacks can really put a hurt on unprepared opponents. I don't think it's any kind of broken (yet) though.

Quite the contrast to my record in the draft league tonight.

Sir Veza likes this.
  19. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

I have been playing the bejeweled elves for about a week and noticed a few things:

1st- My win percentage has risen from about 50% to about 75% :)
    2nd- I struggle most against priest builds. Not sure if it is just me but it seems like healing and a well timed nimbus can really mess me up. Not to mention the occasional Mighty Bludgeon from a Glinting Eye Hammer that just kills me. And of course getting purged is the suck.
    3rd- I have the easiest time against triple mage builds. There is enough cover on all the maps that I typically can stay out of too much harm before engaging the wizards. And often I will pass my first turn so that turn 2 i have both the initiative and extra moves.
    4th- If it was not for the thread http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/how-to-become-a-better-player.7033/ by Bluemage I would still be loosing a lot more.

I really appreciate the build post. And, definitely appreciate the speed of the matches I can play with it. Thanks Exythe.

2 Funny things- I got a path of knives put on me after getting within one square of a mage.
    Not a minute past I played a match where i gained the victory squares turn one. My opponent passed the next 2 turns, I assume out of fear of the elves, letting me gain 3 victory points before combat even started!

20. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

I'm glad that thread has helped other people, it helped me too. Keep posting tips in it to keep it alive!