Cowardly misbehaving with groups?

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Cerebral Paladin, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Cerebral Paladin

Cerebral Paladin Mushroom Warrior

The Cowardly trait card doesn't seem to behaving like its text suggests when drawn by creatures who are in groups. I was just fighting some guard dogs, and the guard dogs played the Cowardly trait card ("Discard all attack cards.") The dogs (same group) then made another attack. That may be working as designed--perhaps with groups "all" attack cards means "your share of attack cards" or something. But then I just hit a situation where there was only one dog left in a group, it played Cowardly, and then it attacked me.

(Looking carefully at the log, I guess they get a draw after they play the trait? So if they're lucky, they could top-deck an attack? That might be working as designed then, but it's hard for the new player to understand. Might be worth having Gary clarify how this works? I found this really confusing and frustrating. Partly I'm just frustrated because I can't beat any of the level 4 adventures I'm fighting, so I'm more susceptible to other frustration. But it's still worth considering.)

2. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yep, so I think what happened is this:

- Cowardly forces discard of all attack cards.
    - Traits replace themselves, so the dogs get to draw a new card.
    - That card happened to be an attack card.

I agree that it's not intuitive but not quite sure how to best address this.

3. Michael

Michael Mushroom Warrior

Maybe switch that particular trait/all traits so they draw first then activate their effect?
    Although it does sound kind of silly to invert a mechanic to re-jigger one specific card.

4. Cerebral Paladin

Cerebral Paladin Mushroom Warrior

Or just add a mention from Gary that after a trait card, a new card is drawn, that's triggered by the first appearance of Cowardly. I don't actually object to the behavior, I just didn't expect or understand it.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. Spinewire

Spinewire Kobold

Is there a way of just preventing from that npc from activating attack cards, it does not necessarily have to drop them.