[Contest] CardHunter Lore

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by neoncat, Feb 11, 2014.

1. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

1. [Easy] Who killed Cuthbert?
    An ornithopter.

From Buzzsaw flavor text: "The diabolic blade made short work of Cuthbert's helmet, and shorter work of his skull." Although some would dispute whether Cuthbert died as a result of this craniectomy, Farbs has endorsed the hypothesis: "In the meantime, let's just assume Cuthbert ran a highly successful costumery, which then spawned a franchise of the same name." Ornithopter is the only monster with Buzzsaw, therefore Cuthbert was killed by an Ornithopter.

2. [Medium] What is the rarest "rare" item in the game? The rarest "common" item?
    Rare: The White Star Diamond / Demon Skull Snuffbox, Common: Rowan Magestaff

The White Star Diamond is an undroppable Lvl30 "rare" treasure (i.e., it's not in the random loot table) which can be obtained only during your first completion of the White Star adventure.

The Demon Skull Snuffbox is an undroppable "rare" treasure that was given to all players as a one-time gift on Nov 15, 2013. It is not obtainable at all during normal gameplay. (edit: thanks, Jarmo!)

The Rowan Magestaff is a "common" staff, but is actually the only Lvl19 item in the game. Due to the +/- 2 level spread on treasure drops, it can be obtained in random chests awarded by level 17 and level 18 quests, but it has an extraordinarily-low probability of dropping.

3. [Hard] What is the true name of the yellow dragon Xanthicius?
    Rose. Carlinian.

From Adventures.csv: "The Grand Card Hunter plot has led you to the lair of Xanthicius, known throughout the land as the fierce Yellow Rose Dragon!" Also, the completion flag for the adventure is simply "ROSE".

From Adventures.csv: "Rose Dragon Ogre Sentries,Rose Dragon Wisp Cave,Rose Dragon Honor Guard,Rose Dragon Carlinian" (thanks, Kalin!)

4. [Impossible] What is Karen's favorite race/class?

First post with all the correct answers gets a like from yours truly! :cool:

Answers will be posted on Saturday 2/15 around 6-7pm GMT. (Edit: Solutions posted.)[/SPOILER][/SPOILER]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    Sir Veza, Jarmo and Flaxative like this.
  2. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

1. I don't remember, but I know there's a thread that would answer it.
    2. Rarest Common is easy (I almost mentioned it myself a couple times in recent days), but it took me a while to remember the rarest Rare.
    3. This one's real easy, for certain people. :)
    4. Hmm, maybe it's time for me to finish collecting screenshots of all the tutorial text.

However, I do have to complain that this post is completely off topic for this board.

3. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Trick question? Cuthbert isn't dead. Cutting through his skull just made his right lobe dominant, and he took up costuming.

4. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Indeed. ;)

To save you some time, you won't find it anywhere in-game, in-forum, or in-wiki. (at least not yet...!? *acts sly and devious* :cool:)

I take Farbs' endorsement of the hypothesis as sufficient cause for the CH canon to state that Cuthbert is dead. :p

5. 1. Cuthbert runs the costume shop. He is alive and well.
    2. Shielding Token may as well be a legendary item for how rare it is.
    3. The dragon's real name was Nicol Bolas.
    4. Karen likes monsters similar to the Puddings.Anything that make a *squish* when it moves.

6. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Karen's favorite race: Brownie
    pools15t.png
    Karen's favorite class: Vampire
    black oaken02t.png

Though your "sly and devious" comment could mean you're looking at something more obvious.

Sir Veza, LeisureSuitLoli and neoncat like this.
  7. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Hahahah! Excellent. Bonus points for effort and amusement. :D

Close, but not quite. As far as I know, it's really not in-game, in-forum, or in-wiki at all, so you couldn't know unless you had already stumbled across it. *continues to act mysterious* ;)
    (Discovering this bit of trivia is actually what spurred me to make the questions.)

8. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I take this back, as this information does seem to be accessible in-game, but only with special privileges accorded to the game's founders... ;)

9. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Okay, Elf Wizard, though she doesn't seem to like forests:
    goblin woods17t.png

neoncat likes this.
  10. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Good sleuthing! As I posted over there, here's the dead giveaway (which I found before poking at the figures.csv file):
    [​IMG]

Pengw1n likes this.
  11. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Oh goody, a new bookmark for my list! So I guess the next two expansions will be Founders and Mechanical.

Oh, have you figured (heh) out how to get the rear view of figures yet? And I'm still looking for the URLs for the monsters and monsterdeck tables.

12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I don't think Mechanical is coming to players; it's used by Cardotron, and Stexe.

13. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Actually, all the manifest files are listed here: http://test.cardhunter.com/data/manifest/manifest.txt, but I didn't see monsterdeck lists anywhere.

Well, the large portraits are only used in the party builder view, so there is no large portrait backside. In battle view, the game uses four pre-rendered images for each orientation (NE, NW, SE, SW). I poked at those, but they're super-low-res and weren't interesting to me. I can dig up the url if you really want them.

Unfortunately, most monsters don't have large portraits. I haven't attempted to crawl the entire monster list, so this is the only large monster portrait of which I know: http://live.cardhunter.com/assets/large_portraits/GeomancerApprentice.png

Yeah, those sets aren't coming to us any time soon. :-(

14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Ooooooooooo......
    *readreadreadreadread*
    Found some typos in stuff we're not supposed to know about yet. :D And I see there's support for 70 levels and 20 items per char (I already knew about 10 maps per adventure and 10 cards per item).

Only monsters that are playable in Mauve Manticore have large portraits so far. I expect we'll eventually get a full set.

15. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Only if you submit enough good scenarios to cover the full gamut of monsters :)

Flaxative, neoncat and Pengw1n like this.
  16. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Solutions posted.

17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. The rarest "rare" item in the game is Demon Skull Snuffbox. It was given to all players as a one-time gift on Nov 15, 2013. It's not obtainable any other way. If you weren't playing at the time, you can't get it at all.

neoncat likes this.
  18. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Hmm... I intended "in the game" to mean "obtainable during normal play", but that wasn't the obvious interpretation. I will add errata.

19. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I guessed the diamond too, but you're right, the snuffbox is rarer.

That was my initial guess (I was going to mention it's his true color, not name), but looking closer at that file reveals:

neoncat likes this.
  20. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Ha! I'm getting a schooling from my own contest. Thanks, Kalin. :D