Color of Demonic Pain

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Sir Knight, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

This is an odd card. I've often left Demonic Pain out of my deck because it's colored black and I mistake it for Demonic Revenge. Well, Demonic Pain isn't a Trait, so it's not so bad. In fact . . .

It's kinda like Demonic Feedback. A white card. It's just downright awful in utility by comparison.

So Demonic Pain is obviously a poor card, and it deserves a black TITLE BAR, but shouldn't the card itself be white?

2. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

Think of it this way. It's like "Trait. Take 3 damage", except with one key difference; It doesn't force you to play it. Which can be better, or it can be worse. It is better if you're able to discard it with Leadership, or you included it with the intention of filling your deck with self-replacing cards, but it's also worse because you need to spend an extra action to get your replacement card (a drawback in itself, unless you need to pass turns without actually passing) and if you choose to discard it somehow without using Leadership to avoid the damage then the drawback essentially becomes being down one card.

I think the main reason it's not a White card (being a lesser Demonic Revenge) is that it can only self target.

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I have no idea why this card isn't a Trait.

4. Heretiick

Heretiick Goblin Champion

I can understand why it isn't a trait since it has no lasting effects and it's dmg is not affected by outside factors. As far as the color goes, possibly changing it to a white/black split card would work.

Neofalcon likes this.
  5. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

There are other traits with no lasting effects, although Brain Burn is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Edit: Fumble too

6. Sir Knight

Then make it a Trait! And change the text so it doesn't get redundant, I suppose.

However, it is also kinda cool to have a choice like this. Do I want a replacement card this badly? Hmm . . .

7. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yeah, Trait just means "you must play this and it replaces itself".

Doing that would make it clearer why it is black instead of white. Because it would then just be a Trait whose effect is "Do 3 damage to yourself".

Megadestructo likes this.
  8. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Can we give Sir Knight a promotion or something?

9. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

Right, but is that the intent of the card or is the card intended to be a conditional (high cost) deck cycling card? I personally like it as it is. It's a drawback card because it's of the obvious detrimental cost (turn + self inflicted damage), yet it can still be useful in some cases. I actually use it quite a lot through the campaign.

I would argue that Demonic Feedback is white because, even though it also has a high cost it benefits an ally, where Demonic Pain does not.

If we were to bring these two cards more in line, I think I'd rather see Demonic Feedback be black than Pain be white because of the self harming nature -- but I don't really like the president that sets for (optional) beneficial cards with a trade off as part of the cost.

10. Heretiick

Heretiick Goblin Champion

Of course some traits have no lasting effect, but all of those traits interact with some other aspect of the game. The two examples that you gave interact with the other cards in your hand in different ways and it makes sense to force someone to play them. Even Loner, which only does damage once and stays attached, interacts with the characters that are around you so giving the player the option to delay playing it isn't a good idea.

Overall, I feel that Demonic Pain is good as it is.

Edit: Grammar

11. progammer

progammer Ogre

I welcome our new Sir General

12. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Goblin Champion

I also like the card the way it is - it provides an interesting choice, and sets it apart from the other drawback cards (which are almost all traits).

I feel that both Demonic Feedback and Demonic Pain should be Black/White hybrid cards. Black simply means "This card does something bad for you" whereas white means "This card does something good for you". So if card does something good for you and something bad for you (ie, has a tradeoff) it should be both black and white.

13. Sir Knight

I'm already a Cerulean Dragon, with 83 trophy points from those trophies for post count and "likes."

Gimme 85 more "likes" and we'll find out.

14. Tasmanian Devil

Tasmanian Devil Mushroom Warrior

There are other black cards that aren't traits, Slowed and Arcane Feedback. Like Demonic Pain these negative cards provide interesting deck building challenges as well as requiring the player to weigh their decisions more heavily on the turns they draw these cards. As traits the decision is made for you, you get a negative effect and don't have a useless draw. As a trait the negative effect also has a built in time limit for how long it lasts as well as can be useful to push off even more detrimental attachments(three damage to push off -2 encumber: yes please). A negative card that isn't a trait could potentially remain in your hand and effect you the entire game. Demonic Pain is unique in that the player is able to choose to play it instead of required to like a trait or can't like the other two. If the player chooses not to play it, it is a useless draw. If they do choose to play it, it is three damage. The dead draw aspect on a priest with low life is much more negative than taking three damage and potentially drawing one of my greater heals, or better yet a talented healer and then a greater heal. Unless my priest is below three life and has no armor, to me Demonic Pain is actually a better card as a trait because it doesn't consume a turn and never has the potential to make me choose it as a useless card over a potentially deadly cycling card.

15. Sir Knight

Wuaraugh?

I was wondering if I'd actually get the 85 "likes" (13 and counting), but it appears that the powers-that-be have taken matter into their own hands. I am now . . . a "Super Cerulean Dragon."

If I get the remaining 72 "likes," will I still earn trophy points and level up? I was hoping to win the forums someday . . .

Phaselock likes this.
  16. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

;)

17. Sir Knight

When the GM smiles, it's already too late.

So what about when the mod smiles?

18. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I'm much slower than Gary so there's still time.