Cleansing Burst vs. Wall of Stone

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Mutak, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Mutak

Mutak Goblin Champion

I just tried playing a Cleansing Burst against a Wall of Stone and the stone was not affected. I assume that happened because Wall of Stone prevents the Cleansing effect from getting into its own square. Is that intended behavior? Are the walls meant to be indestructable?

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Apparently they are. When I encountered a bug related to this (dealing with Rockfall attachments), Jon said:

3. Mutak

Mutak Goblin Champion

That seems like a bad decision to me. If one effect is going to have primacy, i would say it should be the effect that returns the board to its base state. Inconsistently saying some terrain attachments overwrite some others and some don't seems like it could lead to a lot of confusion. I don't think i have it in me to test various combinations of smoke, illusion, stone, lava, spikes, rocks, mud, and acid, but how they all interact should be a known quantity for competition.

4. Sir Knight

I'd rather it were otherwise, too. The supremacy of "blocking terrain" makes sense (else it's not truly "blocked"), but I think most gamers expect "player-made effects, even the most 'supreme' ones" to have a counter.

5. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

Interesting dilemma. Although only problem is communicating final answer to players so that they won't assume incorrectly.

There's really no need to be able to cancel Wall Of Stone. But then again card than would knock out walls would be nice.

6. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

Except of course when your opponent uses it to your detriment. I'm curious why you say there isn't a need to be able to cancel it. I wall your character into a corner taking it out of the game for the full duration of the spell... Unless it's a wizard packing teleport you're down a man, and I could continue repeat.

7. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

The reason this can't happen is that nothing can affect a blocked terrain square.

We could write some exception for terrain cleansing cards if Wall of Stone is turning out to be too powerful.

8. Haxzploid

Haxzploid Ogre

+1 On being able to cleanse Wall of Stone.

Otherwise the description of the card needs to change.

Either remove the "terrain attachment." keyword

Or put a hint in description letting you know it can not be "removed" by other cards. (saying "removed" since the blooming ground card still affects it)

A cool feature would be to make it a neutral mob with 20 hit points and built in "immovable" (so that it could not be purged)

PIZZA likes this.
  9. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

erm, actually...I think Blooming Ground shouldn't affect Wall Of Stone. Its a low priority bug that needs fixing.

10. Sir Knight

By what reasoning do you call it "a bug"? Based on current code and phrasing, it's working exactly as intended. Blooming Ground doesn't require line-of-sight or anything, and Wall Of Stone makes ordinary terrain attachments. Ta da, no bug.

. . . Of course, I know you're referring to this madness:

http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/wall-bug-unable-to-finish-treasure-hunt.3654

Because of this, and because of the Wall Of Stone issues in the current thread, I think it's more "The devs didn't realize just how maddening Wall Of Stone could get WHEN WORKING PROPERLY and will need to be creative to make it work some other way."

11. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

ok, let's discuss:

a) WoS gives 3 blocked terrains when cast. Its not cleansable and follows the rules of typical blocked terrains drawn on the board, ie, block LoS etc. Right ? Fine.
    b) WoS interacts with Blooming Ground. Regardless of whether it affects chars on the board, by similar reasoning as (a)...Blooming Ground doesn't cause blocked terrains (drawn in by Ben) on the board to increase. Well, yh...it would be funny :D

Now there's a bit of a double standard here. Since its a terrain attachment, then why is it not cleansable ? It interacts with Blooming Ground and the reason its because its a terrain attachment. Duh ! These are the minor stuff that when added together become larger than the sum of its parts, creates unnecessary confusion. Yada, yada, yada...

12. Sir Knight

Confusion, not a bug. The inevitable edge case that came out of what SEEMED like oh-so-good ideas when the devs put them in; the exact sort of madness that they depend on us players to identify; and not a bug. I was being picky. PICKY!

Hence I attempted to phrase it in a whimsical manner.

13. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

hmm...yeah..well if you put it that way...then it is indeed not a bug. heck, i seem to have presented all points leading to it not being a bug as well... gah !

14. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

Just bumping this because I just realized Cleansing Ray was unable to cleanse Wall of Stone, despite the description when right-clicked said "Terrain Attachment".

In my opinion, this should be changed -- either by allowing Wall to be cleansed, or by changing the description to make it clear that it cannot. I am personally in favor of the former, but that latter would make sense as well.

15. alphazed

alphazed Kobold

There is no way this isn't a bug. The only question is whether the game functionality or the description of functionality is in error. Both cannot be right. I think as written it makes perfectly good sense for the cleansing cards to affect wall of stone. Then you have uniformly consistent interaction.

16. Midniteryu

Midniteryu Kobold

I agree that the cleansing spells should affect wall of stone.