Charging Wizard

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Killer74, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

Attention Dwarf Wizards!
    Are you fed up with those warriors thinking they're so tough? Want to get right into the action and smack them around? Do you want to cackle in delight as you prance away, leaving even the most agile of those elfin brutes staring in confusion at dust, and tremble in fear at your inevitable return? Look no further, for I give you:

Flashbang

The idea is to teleport charging through walls and shock your opponents, with lots of blocks to fend off warriors, and do lots of damage with Punishing Bolt. Is it viable? Debatable. Is it fun? Most certainly. Do note that this obviously isn't the best version of a teleporting charging wizard, I'm missing some key items, and have been varying him fairly often. Most noticeably: A second Staff of Chask.

You may think that Ironwood Staff Of The Magus might be a good staff to use, but in my experience, it isn't worth the two major tokens. Some of the other Staffs of Magus might be ok. Morbo's Pendant, Sky Locket (which sadly I don't have any of) and Vira's Chain are probably the better of the arcane items with teleport self, but most are somewhat usable.

There are obviously better maps and worse maps for such wizards. I've been using this guy (along with a dancing elf warrior and various priests) for a couple of months. I would probably make multiples of him, only I don't have the spare boots, which are the pretty pivotal for this build. Going to give him a rest for a bit, so I can play with more competitive builds. One can also play him as a firestormer (Morbo Pendants + Firehide Robes ) with a couple of draw, buff priests to make a very viable build but which is very very boring to play with.

Cons:
    Doesn't draw the cards you want very reliably.
    Doesn't do as much damage as most other wizards.
    Can die easily to warriors if you are too reckless charging.
    Often undervalues tokens.

Pros:
    Can chase down fleeing characters.
    Can do substantial damage with Brutal Charge.
    No one ever expects you to Brutal Charge through walls, even after your teleport self is revealed and you position yourself very obviously.
    Is very maneuverable for any character, let alone a dwarf wizard, and is very easy to get out of the way.
    Is incredibly fun.

2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

As you say, charging through walls isn't very reliable, but it's hella-fun when it works. I've only really played with it in SP, though.

3. Accent

Accent Hydra

This is really neat, and the kind of thing I meant in this thread.

Would it be worth swapping a token and using one of the dwarf skills with Brutal Charge? Wait, apparently there's only Charging Boulder, which is listed twice on the Wiki. Weird.

4. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

I was initially using charging boulder, which is a very good item. Toughness (nearly) always comes in handy. It is probably worth the minor token, but the extra charge (even if it is only a pathetic normal one) is good for maneuvering, and an extra token to put elsewhere is good. You can (rarely) brutal charge in, charge back the way, then brutal charge back in again.
    The tokens needed are: Minor: The Boots (of Etzicatl), Quickling Robes; preferably two on staffs with two Staff of Chasks, though Cottonwood Staff and a few others can be pretty useful as non-token staffs; a few tokens for Teleport Self, minor or major depending on what cards you want with it.
    As you can see, there isn't really a lot of spare tokens to go around. It really depends on how many Teleport Selfs you want, you can have a max. of 5, but that isn't really necessary. I found 3 to be a good number to be able to have it consistentlyish when needed.

But yeah, it's worth swapping the tokens about.

5. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  6. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

Looks decent. Electroporter novice instead could prevent blocks more often (though I realise it doesn't matter for SP as much) and a token to use elsewhere though it would lose a small bit of maneuverability.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise (though I should have from my wizard) that it shows the SP level for both MP and SP versions of a character.
    Also, personally, I find that if you are going through a wall people don't expect the charge anyway.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  7. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Well its a bit awkward but with some patience and softening up the opponents from afar, sucess can happen. Its more about the fun of setting up a teleport charge though. I like dimensional traveler and surging blast to get myself unsuspiciously into position.
    I use the force cones / cannons for the same reason, getting linear distance without raising suspicion.
    The sparkling cloth can get you out after a charge or help to set one up. I like to use the smoke to open up pathways for a charge when teleport self doesnt show. Path of knives combos with the force spells and helps to discourage moving away.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015