Challenge - The Nudie Run

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Farbs, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

It works great if they play cave-in. I too often get acid and/or lava expanded wall-to-wall.

2. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

So I continued my run from earlier where I messed up at lvl 11. Here's the rest of my path:

11) The Pools of Slime (slimes are so annoying!)
    12) Tomb of Tvericus
    13) Jewel of Alet Zhav
    14) Lord Batford's Manor
    15) Riddle of the Gnome Lords
    16) Temple of Terror
    17) Yellow Dragon's Lair

There were a few adventures that gave me scares, like Garnet Demon Portal and The Pools of Slime, but for the most part I never had much of a problem. I don't know if it was because of the Club Membership loot or what. I noticed later on I had to drop items from filled slots so that I could switch in dual token items. Some of those items I tossed didn't get replaced on the way. This is a very fun mode. I'm going to be doing it again.

Here's my final party:

Azuratan
    Level 20 Human Warrior

Mel'javana
    Level 20 Dwarf Priest

Isidiril
    Level 20 Elf Wizard

3. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Congrats! You took the same path I took :)
    I suggest you to try without the club membership items to add more difficulty to the challenge. I also tried a couple of times with the same hard rules but with level 1 characters, that seems to be the ultimate nudie run challenge.

hatchhermit likes this.
  4. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Thanks! I didn't even realize I took the same path. :D Grats to you by the way!

Yes. That's the plan for the next try. I should have kept track to see how many I used from the membership to see how much of a difference it made. Level 1 characters will be after the next try.

5. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

The second run didn't go as well. I got stopped on the last map of Lord Batford's Manor. I didn't use the Club Membership items, but I don't think that mattered. Just had bad luck in the Manor.

Mugger Arvek
    Level 20 Dwarf Warrior

Faldirion
    Level 19 Elf Wizard

Cassy Marisdaugh
    Level 20 Human Priest

6. rowspower

rowspower Goblin Champion

@hatchhermit How did the removal or several of the early levels affect your run? Also, have you tried starting with level 1 characters?

7. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

I'm not sure what you mean about the removal of early levels.

No, I haven't. I was going to try lvl 1 characters after I succeeded not using the club membership.

8. rowspower

rowspower Goblin Champion

Was referring to the levels listed in this thread: http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/bug-highway-robbery.6289/

Although based on your reply, I'd say you didn't notice any difference :D

9. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

After I beat the nudie run with the hard rules I tried with level 1 characters a few months ago, and it's hard as hell. You are most of the time cursing because a) you got an item which you can't use right now because of your level, or b) you got an item which you can't use right now because of the power tokens (oh, and c) you got treasure). You need to be extremely lucky obtaining the items you can use at that moment of the run. They don't have to be great items, but you must fill the empty slots as soon as you can.
    I have tried it again 2 times after the balance changes without luck, but now it feels at least not impossible due to the power tokens becoming available earlier than before (this was changed a couple of months ago in some patch).

10. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Yeah, I didn't notice a difference. Still hate to hear that SP content has been removed.

My second attempt I made sure not to just replace an item just because I could. I wanted to make sure I could upgrade all my weapons to double tokens on my warrior. My first run I had to throw away some slots just to upgrade weapons. Same with my wizard. Not as much with my priest. All and all it's a fun mode, but when two treasure drops and that club membership item is sitting there it is really hard to resist using it since I can't use treasure. Still, if this is my grinding technique, I'd prefer that treasure still drop.

11. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Trying again and this time it's going poorly for item drops. I'm running warrior, wizard x2. I think I've gotten treasure drops of every rarity except Legendary. So I have that going for me. Which is nice. (For my bank)

I've gotten through Shield Haven Prison and my team is below. I could have used those 2 removed adventures.

12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Ouch. Good luck with (a) drops, or (b) your next run.

13. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

I'm very happy to announce that, after beating it with normal characters, now I have beat the nudie run challenge with level 1 characters!! :D So I now can proclaim myself the "Master of the Nudie Run" :p
    The challenge was made with the same rules as I used before: no shops, no loot fairy drops, once an item goes into your inventory, it's gone forever, 1 and only 1 module per level, 3 tries per module.

Chronology
    I used the same team that made me won the last time, which was a dwarf warrior, a human priest and a dwarf wizard. Elves are just suicidal in this challenge (although maybe the next challenge could be using only elves :eek:).
    Some great early drops really helped me to pass my way through the low level modules with relatively ease. After beating the 3rd level module a Blazing Shortsword dropped, and I got a Staff Of The Inferno after the fourth adventure. My team was doing well.

My first setback was at level 10, in the Garnet Demon Portal module with a couple of unexpected deaths (one on the 3rd battle and one on the last one). But it wasn't something very worrying, specially after obtaining a Staff Of Glowing Coals after beating that module, and one nice Novice Stoutness after the next one. I still had the wind behind me. At that point, my wizard had 3! FS, one Volcano, 3 Ember Bursts and other fire spells, which had great synergy with my Pixie Hide Cloak (for the Resistand Hide) and my Varied Combustion. My warrior had at that moment some medium-good damage weapons (the aforementioned Blazing Shortsword, plus Carved Club and Club, also with good synergy with my Untrained Bruising). And my priest had nothing spectacular but she did have tons of healing to help the team survive, some Frenzy and a couple of weapons to help my warrior with the melee damage (Bad Juju Mace and Long Axe Of Retribution). (minortoken)

The winds changed at level 12. I was very close to losing on the second map of Tomb of Tvericus with those damned squeletons. Their axes in a very tiny map, the Solid Armors, the armors that prevented all slashing and piercing damage plus the trait that self-healed them after every round made my life impossible. If I have had some armor removal it would have been easier, but all I had was 2 Acid Blast which I didn't draw. I finally managed to beat them in my last try thanks to drawing Vulcano mainly. As a prize, St. Gwendlyn's Armor dropped after this battle (didn't have that one!), but I chose to keep my tokenless Blessed Ring Shirt (I wanted to use those precious tokens in a divine weapon). My luck with drops ended here. (majortoken)

Surprisingly, I beat levels 13 and 14 easily. But the drops weren't helping me as before, so I arrived at level 15 with little damage weapons for that stage of the challlenge. FS helped at times, but was also very risky, specially now that has only range 5. My wizard had absoltuley nothing good in the arcane slots (Blasting Rod, Pewter Amulet and 2 empty slots), my warrior had made a very minor improvement with a Weighted Shortsword, and the only new thing with my priest was one Mass Frenzy (Incense Of The Nether Fog) which I tended not to draw. With this context, it was not a surprise to struggle in the last map of Riddle of the Gnome Lords. One guy camping the VP and the rest coming for me. All with high hp and big attacks. In a tiny corridor which left me almost no escape. So, I had to kill all or some of those and then go for the one camping the vp, all in a maximum of 6 turns and without any of my guys dying. Easy, right? Well, I still don't know how I won that one. After 2 deaths, I was 4-4 in my last try. It was one of those situations where if the figurine camping the vp stayed there, I was dead. If they killed me one guy, I was dead too. So I had to lure him somehow with my warrior to abandon that spot, and then running myself to the vp (with the surviving gnomes coming from behind). I managed to do so, and the next turn some miracle made my priest draw 2 of her best attacks to finish him off. (greattoken)

The storm had passed, and now the calm had returned. After beating those gnomes, I knew I couldn't fail this time. A premature death in the first map of the Temple of Terror scared me a bit, but my team knew about tough battles now, so they made it to the final module avoiding all the obstacles. The dragon was hard, but not impossible. Just in my first try, my guys managed to beat him down, ending all with red hp, but with the pride and satisfaction of the fulfilled duty. (ultimatetoken)

The complete itinerary:

1) White Skull Canyon
    2) The Wizard's Workshop
    3) Highway Robbery
    4) Ruby Demon Portal
    5) Rescue From Shieldhaven Prison
    6) The Defense of Woodhome
    7) The Throne of Strench
    8) The Compass of Xorr
    9) Gladiatorial Arena, Qualifiers
    10) Garnet Demon Portal (lost once on the 3rd battle and once on the last one)
    11) Goblins in the Woods
    12) Tomb of Tvericus (lost twice on the second battle)
    13) The Jewel of Alet Zhav
    14) Lord Batford's Manor
    15) Riddle of the Gnome Lords (lost twice on the last battle)
    16) Temple of Terror (lost once on the first battle)
    17) Lair of the Yellow Dragon (lost once on the 3rd battle)

My final team:

Vornbezek
    Level 16 Dwarf Wizard

Dereaxesteel
    Level 16 Human Priest

Gorril
    Level 16 Dwarf Warrior
    Blazing Shortsword
    Carved Club
    Weighted Shortsword
    Ogre Hide Armor
    Bare Arms
    Silver Helmet
    Turquoise Boots
    Novice Stoutness
    Untrained Bruising

2 x Potent Stab
    1 x Dodge
    2 x Trained Bludgeon
    1 x Dynamic Armor
    1 x Clumsy Chop
    2 x Bruiser
    1 x Combustible
    1 x Thickened Mail
    1 x Thick Hide Armor
    1 x Healing Dash
    1 x Duck
    2 x Bludgeon
    2 x Pressing Bash
    4 x Unreliable Block
    1 x Weak Strike
    1 x Officer's Harness
    3 x Fiery Stab
    1 x Quickness Aura
    2 x Able Stab
    1 x Stab
    1 x Simple Strike
    1 x Scuttle, Team!
    1 x Rushing Aura
    1 x Reliable Hide Armor
    1 x Sparkling Cloth Armor

Final notes
    I want to thank my family and friends, who always supported me at the toughest times, they believed in me when nobody did. I want to thank all of this wonderful audience as well, this would not have been the same without all your enthusiasm. And, last but not least, I would like to say thanks to my team: Vornbezek, Dereaxesteel and Gorril. I know we only know each other for a couple of days, but since I picked you up on that tavern, I have really grown fond of you guys. I saw you growing up, level by level, to finally become what you are now: heroes. This prize is for the 3 of you ;).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Jarmo, hatchhermit and Sir Veza like this.
  14. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Nice one. :) Didn't know people have completed it before, haven't tried myself. A version that allowed to switch items that you've gotten in that nudie run between adventures would be good imo but since we already have our collections, we wouldn't know what items we can choose from. And when creating a new account or using test server (there's a delete all items you have command), we wouldn't get the loot. So an official mode would be nice :p And with extra rewards perhaps? :p

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Jacques likes this.
  15. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Nice, Jacques! Congratulations. I haven't continued mine from the other night. (Still higher level characters) I've been working on a Session Report for a boardgame I played recently. Once I'm done with that I'm going to continue my run. Hopefully my luck changes. You seemed to have a lot of good early luck. I think that is most important. Getting tokenless or a single blue token drops really help make the team strong for the 2nd leg of the run.

Jacques likes this.
  16. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Thanks. Yeah, this mode is so fun that an official version would be very welcomed. Similarly to the Loot Fairy, it's something that you can't do compulsively (once you die, you have to wait for the modules to refresh), but this mode allows you to play those adventures in a completely different way, and it's also different every time you played it. It adds something that SP lacks after you have done most of the quests: variance.

If it becomes official, I wonder which would be the best rules. I used the hardest rules, but I understand that isn't so appealing for a more casual type player. Allowing to switch items that you have gotten would make the challenge significantly easier, but not a cakewalk. And of course that it would have to be with full leveled characters. The level 1 mode doesn't allow you to equip major tokens until the very last module, which makes it extra hard. Or maybe we could have both of them? :)

karadoc and hatchhermit like this.
  17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Saved parties include items equipped on inactive chars, so you can use them to hold your extra items.

18. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Finally finished my 3rd run. Died again in Lord Batford's Manor. I had that jerk down to 1HP on the last board and got too agressive. He ducked my arcane spray and then killed me with it. Anyway, doubling up on one class and then taking all of one race was really tough on the drops. I did get Troll's Ire and Evasion so that was cool. My second wizard was kind of weak. The only thing I did differently on the path this time was doing Against the Cockroaches.

Maythusela
    Level 16 Human Wizard

Tigerral
    Level 15 Human Warrior

Ruby Smoke
    Level 13 Human Wizard

19. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

I think choosing a 1-1-1 is the best choice in the Nudie Run, otherwise you are much more luck dependant with the drops. That's what happened here with your 2nd wizard I think. The decent stuff went to your first mage, leaving very bad items for the second one.

20. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I just had my first attempt at a nudie run. I've scrapped through with a few very-close wins. In particular, on the second last map of Garnet Demon Portal I won with one my warrior left, with 1 hp. I spent a couple of rounds just hiding behind cover, with 1 hp left, so that I could draw my Hardy Mail before charging in for the final blow; and it paid off. The Hardy Mail saved me from a Flame Spit, and I finished the last sprite off with a Trained Bludgeon. - A very close call...

Unfortunately, I've now made the mistake of picking Pools of Slime as the next map. The Amorphous Body is really ruining me. I thought I had enough armour removal on my wizard to deal with it - but I've just lost three times in a row on the first map. I guess that means I'm eliminated, but I'm unsure about the nudie-run rules for the first map of the module. Since it is the first map, it is giving me endless retries - but I figure that the spirit of the nudie run is that 3 losses means elimination even if I don't have to pay gold to retry... Does that sound right?