Challenge the devs!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jon, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

So, by chess clock timeout only, I just "beat" Tess. To summarize my experiences:

I'm too tired to summarize my experiences. I stayed up late last night, and I need to sleep before all I see are cards and tiles. And I have something else to post, so I'll get on that and then bid you all adieu.

2. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

Nice job. A time out is still a win, though it's a pretty cheap tactic (if intentional) in my book.

I'm betting you are going to dream of cards. :)

3. Sir Knight

Okay, I'm back, and I have one story to share. My favorite little story.

So I was fighting Farbs and got a couple screenshots, which I have made into the below composite: models with black bases are his, the white is mine. As you can see, we're having a good old-fashioned dwarf party on the victory squares. Farbs would win in ONE ROUND if I didn't stop his victory square domination. Either I needed to kill somebody or encourage Farbs to go elsewhere. Killing, of course, is preferred in the long run.

I pursued this by placing lava beneath his cleric, Ficks. Lava (from Hot Spot) would do 10 damage next turn, but victory points are awarded at the end of THIS turn, and in any case the cleric had 14 health (I got the screenshot . . . a little late in this tale). Surely, I couldn't kill the cleric. How could I scare the enemy off?

The screen captured conversation then occurred.

[​IMG]

Hello, Staggering Blow and your "Immediately discard the two oldest revealed cards in target's hand" properties. Farbs' little emoting text there made the match for me. Farbs revealed he still had another move card, and with such stepped away from any hypothetical subsequent beating; which was completely a psychout, as I did not have any more attack cards. (And Farbs still won. Oh, well.)

I'm thinking of putting "Farbs regrets" in my signature line. Thoughts?

4. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Do all PvP matches have victory squares? As soon as i saw them in a dungeon i thought they'd be in PvP as well, seems to give Dwarven durability an edge, or maybe Elvish speed to get there first ? Certainly changes things, i hope for multiple game modes!

5. Sir Knight

All the ones I saw did. Some had four squares, but one noteworthy case had just one square.
    Yes to both. In my matches, I usually dashed onto the squares before my opponent due to really nice movement draws. Then I'd get one victory point, and everyone would approach to contest the points on the next rounds. Simply standing there and soaking up damage (which I couldn't always do, but did in cases like this where my dwarf was the one with the speed (or I did lots of healing)) then helped.

But don't forget the ability to push opponents away, like with Simple Bash. The "Bash Brothers" starter pack gives two human warriors a lot of those cards. They get there moderately quickly, survive a beating, and then move aside pesky opponents. I faced that in multiplayer, too, but apparently the deck needs tweaking and is a little hard to use right now.

6. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Bash Bro's sound perfect, especially if the priest gets spells to cleanse areas as Fire Wall would be DEVASTATING.

7. TotalNerd

TotalNerd Kobold

I envy you all.

8. TotalNerd

TotalNerd Kobold

Not vehemently, just to the point of checking my email every 20 seconds.:(

9. Szczypior

Szczypior Orc Soldier

Well, that was funny :D BTW: it seems for me that the 'chat' font and combat font don't differ much from each other, I hope they will tweak it some way, because it will be hard for me to see what's chat and what's combat log when quick looking at it..

10. Tess

Tess Blue Manchu

So, I was playing Bash Brothers, and it actually had a wizard, instead of a priest. After playing it, I kind of feel like a priest would have been a more effective third member on that team. In my experience, the wizard mostly died early in most matches, and didn't get to do much. The eponymous Brothers need to bull forward and get up on top of their enemies, and that makes it impossible for them to defend that squishy robe-wearing spell-dork back there.

Still, maybe someone can do a better job than I did! (I sense a future challenge...)

As for my ignominious defeat -- I think I spent too much time thinking and yammering! The lesson: Shut up and play! You may have forgotten the chess clock, but the chess clock hasn't forgotten you. :oops:

11. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Will this be going on this tuesday aswell? If so I'll try to join in on it and record the games that my opponents allow me to.

12. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yep, we're going to try to make this a weekly thing.

13. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

I meant as far as PvP holding a victory point goes ! The wizard can lay down fields but the priest can remove them, then again, a wizard can replace them, so both are good ! How were the wizards spells in this pack ? I'm interested in a Warrior/Warrior/Wizard pack.

14. Legolas

Legolas Kobold

I am interested to see how long the Devs will be able to hold the top spots of the leader-boards once open beta or the final product gets put out there! I hope you are ready for some stiff competition from all of us eager Kobold slayers in training chomping at the bit to take you on ;)

15. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I expect our reign to come to a speedy end as soon as you guys start accumulating a decent set of items to compete with.

16. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Are you implying we dont have the skill so we have to compensate with fancy shmancy cards to compete? ooooh its on !

I think everyone should get Pizza if they beat the reigning Dev in a best 2 out of 3 :eek:

17. Jon

Or possibly sooner.

18. Jon

19. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

20. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I'm far from ready but i will be there and it will be fun! or so help me god