Challanges: Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Gabbek, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

I will start off the topic with the hardest challenge I've had a pleasure to do:

• Goblins in the Woods - Level 11 Adventure: reduced lvl to 1 of your entire party.
    After some theorycrafting I decided to run triple dwarven warrior - leveled them up to lvl 7 to unlock all slots. I would suggest using Hefty Stout Club x2 and Cumbersome Axe on each warrior. Dueler's Buckler is the best available shield.

Tips for 1st map:
    This is by far the easiest map and you shouldn't really have all that many issues - focus down hulks and you will be fine.

Tips for 2nd map:
    This is the hardest and most troublesome battle - penetrating attacks of goblins as well as nasty poison attacks of spiders make armor close to useless in this battle. My general advice would be to kill 2 goblins as fast as possible - if you are lucky and drawn Massive Chop in the right moment you might dispose of them quickly. Remember that they have mostly range 2 attacks but they will stand always next to you when they want to close the gap - use it to your advantage with chops, if possible. Prefered kill order would be 2 goblins -> spider 1-2 -> goblin -> remaining spiders. Blocks are really good on this map - if you believe in dodge and parrying strikes you could change weapons for this map.

Tips for 3rd map:
    Save all of your attacks for goblin berserkers - dont bother to waste your cards on small goblins, if you dispose of one berserker quickly you can kite 2nd one with one of your warriors while you take care of 9hp goblins. You should try to soak 1st attack of goblin berserker with dwarf which has full hp and Parry - that way you have a quite high chance to kill him before he kills any of your guys (retreat if low hp - always better to do so than die in vain). Use corners tactic against goblins to avoid chops (3x3 grid scheme)

y o x
    o g o
    x o y

x - dwarf position
    y - dwarf position
    o - empty slot
    g - goblin berserker

Tips for 4th map: Try to hit goblins with chops and able bludgeon afterwards - they can't block attacks above 4 damage so make sure to have the right weapons. As for the hulk - try to get one dwarf with parry to take the first strike, then retreat after you have been hit once with his strong attacks - you won't be able to soak moar than one hit from him unless you have 2 armors are some lucky to block the damage. Hit-and-run tactic works best against him - if you happen to see his hands (obvious maneuvers and he lacks attack cards - go all out on him - just remember that he has drawn one card after using the said trait)

2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Good stuff!

3. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Yeah . . . I'm doing all the drawback challenges, and I'm finding some things are crazier than others. I FINALLY beat Diamonds of the Kobolds (using only items with drawbacks) after many, many failed attempts, and I believe I have the strategy: three Warriors. Three [insert invective of your choice] Warriors.

The issue I found with Wizards was that I didn't have enough crowd-control spells on drawback-infested Wizard equipment. Or, literally, any. Thus I had an array of four-damage-or-less spells (easy to block) and an Acid Blast or two. And one Thunderblast, which is ideal for the level. But otherwise: inadequate.

The issue I found with Priests was pretty much as implied here: there currently aren't enough worthwhile cards to counterbalance the drawbacks.

However, I now have two copies of Sword Of Thunder for Warriors (yay, Thunderblast), plus no-talent weapons that do plenty of damage to offset the drawbacks. Thus, my suggestion for Diamonds of the Kobolds (and possibly The White Star; I'm trying that one later) is simply: three Warriors.

4. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

Wizards without epic staff of 2 fireballs & 2 firestorms, 2 backdraw traits are rather painful for those challanges - once you've got 6 of those staves - you will see head's burning :)

Edit: Triple warrior is actually really good for a lot of challanges - wizard tends to be better for creatures like oozes, zombies, ogres, goblins

5. Sir Knight

Did you mean to say Wizard for Goblin? Because all those annoying magic-reflecting spells are a pain.

6. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

Yes, meant AoE spells against goblins. Fireball, firestorm, firewall mainly.

7. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

• The Pools of Slime - Level 11 Adventure: reduced lvl to 1 of your entire party.
      Suggestions: 2 elven wizards + 1 dwarven warrior or 3 elven wizards. Make sure that they are - in fact true level 1 (wizard: weapon slot, arcane slot, boots). I would suggest using Staff Of The Inferno, Smoking Bangle (item name is rather missleading!) or Burning Bangle and Soft Boots (hurray for double Think Hide Armor). Warrior should use the same boots & random non-crushing damage weapons - if you run with warrior he's there only to soak the damage from green ooze - nothing more, really.
    Tips for 1st map:
    Keep re-trying until you clear black oozes fast enough, if possible try to reduce health of Green ooze to 10 - then you can hot spot. The trickest part is the start - oozes start close to you so your wizards will always take some damage, this map is rather tricky but it's easy enough when you get a little lucky - keep re-trying, 1st map - no loss ;)

Tips for 2nd map:
    This is rather easy if you deal with green one quite early - if you manage to kill the green one you can pretty much kite every other ooze for few turns and dispose of them slowly.

Tips for 3rd map:
    This is insanely tricky - kill green ooze as fast as possible or you're simply dead - reduce it's hp to 10 with fireballs, then hotspot. If you've killed green ooze start dealing with puddlings - if you reduce their number to 1-2 it's much easier to kite them. Remember the terrain - it's really helpful on this map, use it to your advantage with elves! If you have a dwarven warrior - this should be much easier than with triple wizard.

Edit: Remember the green ooze's attack range is 6 - keep wizards out of that range and you're fine (impossible on 1st map after 1st turn but otherwise - 2nd/3rd map this tip is useful)

8. Sir Knight

Flushing out Block cards from Goblins is definitely a strategy, should you have the right abilities yourself.

You know . . . I think I'm going to have to create my own compilation thread. I started making a list on my computer, but I stopped when it looked like it was going to be redundant. Hang on; I'll go do that.

9. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

Hurray! Sir Knight will shine once again :)