Cardhuntrian Festival: A Co-operative Tournament Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Rainingrecon, Jan 4, 2016.

1. If someone plays 4 tk's, all with Luke's Iron Hand on the card. Sure it's unlikely, but if they are caught playing that 4th card, that team can be disqualified by the referee.
    Sure someone could submit a legal loadout and make legendary substation, but why? Is winning really that important that you go to such lengths?

Don't forget legos. Those things hurt. :)

2. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

As Pawndawan noted, since co-op can be really tough for scheduling, I think best-of-3 should be for the finals and 3rd place match, with all the other matches a best-of-one.

I volunteer to be a referee!

Sir Veza and MathuranF like this.
  3. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

As someone interested in the tournament -- not just abstractly but as a potential player -- I know the scheduling is a potential nightmare, but I really, really like the idea of best-of-3 for each round, and I figure I can do 1.5-2 hours at any rate. Contrasted with best-of-1, as Raining said, you get a better chance (ha) at the results being more skill- than luck-based.

My opinion arbitrarily continues that best-of-5 should really help settle the question of luck vs. skill, but wow, 3 hours for one round, especially for 7 ppl... Just wow... Yeah, 1.5-2 hours sounds a lot more feasible.

4. After looking at the feedback, matches have been changed to 1 game. The championship and 3rd place matches remain as best-of-3.

Still thinking about relaxing the legendary rule for wizards.

5. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Well, something I didn't consider/remember is all the loser replay chances. Losers' bracket, semi-finalist loser head-to-head for 3rd ... ~checking main info thread~ ... Oh. You got rid of the losers' bracket.

While reading your edits, I got confused, but then I think I worked it out. Correct me if I'm wrong, please:

1. Everyone registers. Got it.
    2. Teams divide into two brackets based upon availability to play. Got it.
    3. Each team plays one match. This is a grand total of four matches during this portion of the tournament. Got it.
    4. These four teams face off in a best-of-three series for the championship match? And what final match in brackets?

After writing out my confusion into words, I believe I've concluded you meant to add in #3 that teams will play single-elimination, right? (..resulting in a grand total of six matches during that portion of the tournament?) If so, then is this what it's supposed to look like?.. (I'll write rather redundantly for an attempt at utmost clarity.)

1. Everyone registers. Eight teams of three each for a grand total of twenty-four players.
    2. Teams divide into two brackets based upon play-availability. Each bracket has four teams.
    3. Teams play "best-of-one" single-elimination within their brackets. Each bracket sees three matches. At this point, the whole tournament sees six matches.
    4. Each bracket's top team battles the other top team in the championship match -- a best-of-three series for to take first and second places in the tournament. Each bracket's second-place team battles the other second-place team in a runner-up match -- a best-of-three series for to take third and fourth places in the tournament.

Btw, thank you, @Rainingrecon, for organizing this. And, thank you, @Jon and @Flaxative, for officially endorsing this (and other tournaments) with in-game prizes; that's really cool of you. $:^ )

Oh, question, though, since I haven't hit "Post Reply" yet. Just to clarify, how are the prizes distributed?
    • Each player receives 1 Magnificent Chest? Or only the four players tied for fifth place get 1 Magnificent Chest?
    • Each of the three players on the fourth-place team gets 1 Bonus Epic Chest, right? (Why "bonus"? Saying it's better than a normal Epic Chest, it's in addition to the Magnificent Chest, it's actually a meaningless word in this context, or something else I missed?)
    • Same with third-place, each of the three players gets 2, I assume, and there's the same "bonus" question.
    • Each of the three players on the second-place team gets 80 Pizza (for a total of 240 Pizza for the team), or the team gets 80 Pizza to decide how to (unevenly) divide amongst themselves (such as by being given to the team leader who unevenly distributes at will)?
    • Similarly, each of the three players on the first-place team gets 150 Pizza (for a total of 450 Pizza for the team), or the team gets 150 Pizza to decide how to (potentially evenly) divide amongst themselves (potentially via team leader)?

Thank you in advance for the answers!

6. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Here's my input on the 1-legendary rule: change it.

Technically you could still run Vibrant Pain + Bejeweled + Blazing Shortsword on dwarves which is bonkers strong (the current meta VP deck has Strongarm or Troll's Ire instead of Blazing Shortsword). You couldn't run heavy Savage Curse, which is good. Wizzes are crippled immensely by the rule, as most of the good cards are Rare, especially on Arcane Items. Telekinesis is not as scary as Nimble Strike.

I suggest that on top of a legendary item limit you ban six identical Rare card legendary items (Vibrant Pain, Blue Destruction, Staff of a Million Embers; Deadly, Deadly Staff; etc.), Searing Pain, and Skull of Savage Iljin (because they're gamebreaking). You might also want to ban the use of more than one Bleneth item. Additionally, I think you should ban using three of a kind of an Epic item (so no triple Ring of Appropriation or triple St. Ulrich's Bones).

Maybe you could try something along these lines: 2 legendary items maximum per character, with an additional legendary Arcane Item allowed for wizards. Legendary divine armors, robes, or martial skills do not count toward the legendary limit. You cannot have two of the same legendary item.

With these restrictions, you could still play a fairly good Crusher build (which isn't OP, imo), an okay but not too strong Volcano deck, a decent fire deck, a decent but not too strong accel deck, a decent but not too strong frenzy support, a decent healer, a decent vampire, a decent bashy warrior, a decent maneuvering warrior deck, a decent AoA deck, a decent radiation deck, and a lot more.

The sum of the rules would be:
    • Maximum of two legendaries, with the following exceptions:
      • An additional legendary Arcane Item is allowed, not counting against the limit
      • Legendary martial skills, divine armors, and robes do not count against the limit
      • Hu La Houp's Vicious Circle is not counted as a legendary item
    • No two identical legendaries and no three identical epics
    • Only one Bleneth item maximum
    • The following items are banned:
      • Legendary items with six identical Rare cards (Vibrant Pain, Blue Destruction)
      • Searing Pain
      • Skull of Savage Iljin
    This should even the playing field a lot without reducing build variety too much, but it's quite complicated.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

<3
    My man!

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  8. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Geesh, we are in third place this month, and we still get no respect.
    Oh well.

40c_rudy likes this.
  9. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

that's because you keep forgetting about 2/3rds of classes CH has

10. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

AND 2/3rds of races! :p
    But now we're derailing the thread... :oops:

11. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I said WE, not ME.

But I digress, back to the tournament talk. Sorry for the distraction.

12. Yep, that's right! There were plenty of people who voiced concerns about how long each bracket match was going to be, so those matches were shortened to 1 game. However, I still believe that the championship and runner-up matches should still be a best-of-3 series.

Apparently my explanations are about as clear as mud. But it's good that you asked since it forces me to try explaining everything in a different way.

Every player who participates receives a Magnificent Chest. If your team places 4th or better, you get the participation reward in addition to the reward listed for that particular place. And pizza rewards are per person. (In hindsight, perhaps the word 'bonus' wasn't the best pick, but I wasn't sure how else to express that at the time)

@Deepweed
    You've given me plenty of great insight into how to better handle legendary items. (and other items too!) I think I'll take a bit of time to poke around and look at the different items for myself, but there is a good chance that I will adopt the majority of the suggestions you've given.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  13. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

In my opinion bonus was well used there because it says that you already have some chests and when you get 4th or 3rd you get more chests. @ParodyKnaveBob

14. Aerendhil

Aerendhil Ogre

speaking of item ban : any with more than 1 rad bomb.

15. After giving it plenty of thought and looking through the wiki's item database, I've decided to adopt all of your suggestions. I've also given you credit for the awesome suggestion. =)

Now that we've taken care of the legendary rule and the length of each match, anyone care to sign up? :)

16. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

I wish... ;__;

17. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

I would like to join, but I'm not exactly sure how busy I'll be in a month or so (quite busy I bet).

18. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

In the process of making a team :)

19. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

When it start? And when its the time lĂ­mite to join?

20. @Macizo
    Right now registration is set to close on the 20th with matches starting by Feb 3, if all goes to plan. I may change these dates, but I'll make those changes very visible.