Card Ideas

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by timeracers, Jan 2, 2015.

1. adajon

adajon Thaumaturge

Some Geomancer-themed card ideas:

Fissure
    Magic Crushing Attack, Silver Quality
    Range 6, Damage 4

Play Effect: 'Linear. Attach this card to affected characters. Halt, Duration 1.'

Pebble Swarm
    Magic Crushing Attack, Gold Quality
    Range 8

Play Effect: 'Deal 2 Unbuffable Magic Crushing damage to up to 5 targets. You may choose the same target multiple times.'

Quake
    Magic Crushing Attack, Gold+ Quality
    Range 0, Damage 8

Play Effect: 'You are not affected by this Attack. This attack is not stopped by Blocked terrain. Burst 4. For each affected character, subtract 2 damage for each tile they are away from you.'

WexMajor, tolkien and seth arue like this.
  2. trrst

trrst War Monkey

Trismegistus' Grimoire
    Magic Holy
    Play Effect: Affects all adjacent allies.Create a Healing Potion card and put it in their hand.
    Healing Potion
    Play Effect: You Heal 5. Free card.

tolkien and Mark2249 like this.
  3. Mark2249

Mark2249 Kobold

Dark Vision:
    Trait Duration 3
    You can see through smoke terrain and add 1 to range of all magic and projectile attacks

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    trrst and WexMajor like this.
  4. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Illusory Wall

Magic assist - Range 5
    Linear
    Target squares become Illusionary Terrain

Reflex Armor

Armor 1 - Roll 2+
    Immunity to laser
    Apply damage and effect of laser card on a random enemy

Mark2249 likes this.
  5. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

I like @WexMajor s absorb life and @Super4011 s human shield.
    We vampires could use a punishing vamp strike though maybe the damage should be only 1 point per card.
    To differentiate the human shield from disorienting block, I would have it only do one thing: give the damage to an adjacent character.

6. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Stomp it out
    Utility
    Helmet only
    Remove terrain attachment in your square. Take 2 points of crushing damage.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  7. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Electrical Storm
    Hybrid utility/attack
    Monster only
    Emerald
    Create smoke terrain in your square and all adjacent squares. Do 7 electrical damage to everyone in those squares.

Allure of the Divine
    Attack
    Monster only
    Amethyst
    Affects all characters. All elves discard their oldest move card. All humans discard their oldest attack. All dwarves discard their oldest armor.

8. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Lesser Spellsteal
    Arcane Magic, Utility, Bronze
    Discard a random card attached to target character. Attach a copy of this card to yourself with its base duration. Range 6.
    "I'll be taking that, see?"

Spellsteal
    Arcane Magic, Utility, Gold
    Discard all cards attached to target character. Attach copies of these cards to yourself with their base durations. Range 6.

Greater Spellsteal
    Arcane Magic, Utility, Amethyst (Probably a monster-only card)
    Discard all cards attached to all enemies. Randomly distribute copies of these cards among your allies with their base durations.
    "Those are some nice buffs you have there. Would be a shame if someone stole them all."

Radiation Affinity
    Boost, Silver
    Whenever a Handicap card would be attached to you, discard it and attach a random Boost card instead. Duration 3. Trait.
    "You think Radiation is your ally. But you merely adapted to Radiation; I was born in it, molded by it."

Spellsteals would be for Wizards, Radiation Affinity for Divine Skills.

ParodyKnaveBob and adajon like this.
  9. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Smite That!
    Magic Holy
    Hybrid attack/ utility
    Bronze quality
    Damage 2 Range 6
    Unblockable. Remove all attachments in target square and attached to a character in target square.

Smite Them!
    Magic Holy
    Hybrid attack/utility
    Silver quality
    Damage 2. Range 6
    Unblockable. Remove all attachments in target square and attached to character in target square. Burst 1.

Smite Me!
    Magic Holy
    Utility
    Paper quality
    Damage 2. Unblockable. Remove all attachments in your square and adjacent squares and attached to characters in your square and adjacent squares.

10. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Parrot Peck
    Monster only
    Attack
    Projectile piercing
    Range 3 damage 2
    Penetrating. Reverse target character's facing. Cantrip.

Iron Hook
    Attack
    Melee piercing
    Range 1 damage 3
    Penetrating. Target discards their oldest attack card.

Eye Patch
    Drawback trait
    Character may only target in forward cone.

Cutlass Slash
    Attack
    Damage 6 melee slashing. Range 1
    Deal damage to any characters in the three adjacent squares in front of you.

Cutlass Stab
    Attack
    Damage 6 melee piercing range 2
    Linear.

Cutlass Parry
    Block melee. 2+
    Subtract 2 from your roll if the attacker is in your forward cone.

Peg leg
    Hybrid attack/ drawback
    Damage 6 melee crushing range 1
    Encumber 1.

Cannon Ball
    Monster only
    Attack. Amethyst Quality.
    Range 6 Damage 15 Linear. Create a Reload card in your hand.

Reload
    Monster only.
    Drawback.
    Mandatory Action. Slide back 1.

Cannon Shrapnel
    Monster only.
    Amethyst Quality.
    Attack.
    Range 6. Damage 7. Create a Reload Card in your hand.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    WexMajor, wereviper and trrst like this.
  11. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Why not just call it Penetrating Beam? $F^ J
    (Arcane Beam exists, as well as Beam Of Hate for that matter.)

Why Attack hybrid on this series of cards? Cleansing Ray and Purge, plus their burst versions, are just Utility (with the Cleansing cards not even being Assist hybrids despite heals).

--

I came here to partly brainstorm a card.

Inspiration: Dwarves have tanky natural HP and tanky racial cards -- and it's what keeps them safe; it's why so many people complain about dwarves in World Chat and elsewhere. Elves have natural mobility, which indeed boosts their potency as glass cannons and their escape mechanisms, but it often doesn't keep them safe. They have Skip and Smashing Spin? Who plays Skip aside from tokenless double trait for pure cycling (Dainty Silversmith)? Who plays Smashing Spin at all? (I mean, I played it in a successful build over a year ago, but that was because I had a spare major to spend on a Smoke wizard supporting two warriors, and Perfect Evasion kinda stuck me with it.)

This is intended as an Elf Skill card.

Surely, it's a Boost, no question there -- but should it be a hybrid with a Move? (If so, what might the Move do?) If not a Move, might it be better to still remain in hand (my preference so far) or to be a Trait with the usual Duration of 2 or 3? First draft:

Heightened Senses
    Boost
    Whenever you roll a die on a Move card, add 1 to it. Keep.

I know my wording is slightly different from the Harness series, but I call their wording a text bug anyway. The point is, cards like Skip, Jump Back, Dodge, and Reflexive Teleport would get a 16% boost to every roll. Are you a human or dwarf? Great. Usual movement reaction chances. Are you an elf equipping such an item? (Such as, I don't know, "Skipping Perception," with Heightened Senses, Skip, Skip, especially if that would squeeze through at tokenless, although I have a feeling H.S. would have to be something like gold quality -- unfortunately, for the fragile elves.) Goood. You get more bang for your get-out-of-the-way buck.

Jump Back: 2/3 -> 5/6
    Skip: 1/2 -> 2/3
    Dodge: 1/3 -> 1/2
    Reflexive Teleport: 1/3 -> 1/2

"But wizards can get sooo much RT!"
    Yes. No one needs to point out which wizards would benefit the most from this Elf Skill card. (Plus, RT is a gold card. Generally gotta spend for good itemization. Plus, after the 2016 Summer Balance, Elven Maneuvers is no reliable RT-puller like before.)

Draft 2:

Heightened Senses
    Boost
    Whenever you must be targeted to trigger a Boost card, that Boost card can be triggered by any such effect affecting you. Keep.

(I know, wordy and redundant-sounding. Trying to be clear, though.) This version's a little looser because it assumes for the current playable cards. The goal would be to let the four Move|Boost cards above react to merely being affected from the front. (It doesn't change Terrain Attachment interaction. It also doesn't change any current Block reaction nor Helmet Boost cards. Nevertheless, I know it's wording is not necessarily future-safe. Just talking concepts here.)

Serious thoughts, overall?

I wrote a lot more, but I've decided (just before posting) that it should become its own thread.

12. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

I love the idea of Heightened Senses boosting dice roll for moves. As a Boost card you keep in your hand, I think it may be balanced at Silver. Because the thing is, this card would take up space on your hand, so at most at the end of the round you can keep one avoiding card in the hand along with the Heightened Senses. Two Dodges/RT in hand give you a slightly better than 1/2 chance for one of them to trigger, while having one Dodge/RT and one HS would mean you only had a 1/2 chance to dodge.

So HS doesn't break Dodge/RT, but what about Jump Back becoming 2+? Not really a problem, Jump Back already has a good trigger, can be rather easily played around by opponents, and sometimes does more harm than good to the player using it.

And I don't think anyone would be worried about Skip becoming 3+.

Hence I think this version of HS would be balanced at Silver. And it is awesome, I would use it. (One possible way to break it is to ABT or BT HS to a human who has Forward Thinking so that they can keep HS and two other Dodges/RT, but that combo is kind of hard to pull off so I wouldn't worry about that.)

I don't really like the second version, it is kind of convoluted and imo not that big of an improvement to the avoiding cards anyway. I think if I just started playing and saw that card I would be utterly bamboozled.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    wereviper and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  13. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

I hate this idea. Elves are already mobile.
    Try getting into melee range with 3 dwarven warriors to 3 elven mages.
    You die. Slowly, because of your hp, but you'll never catch them.

14. ParodyKnaveBob

@WexMajor: Apparently you haven't played with Vengeance, Sparkling Cloth Armor, Quickness Aura, Energize Move, Nimble Strike, Dancing Cut, Team Walk, team pushes, and Mighty Charge like the rest of the triple dwarf warriors I've seen. EDIT: Should I also mention Human supporters granting more team pushes via Assists and Vanguard, not to mention Delegate seemingly every time one turns around?

wereviper, trrst and Maniafig like this.
  15. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Yep. That's cheating. Dwarves are supposed to be durable, not fleeting ballerinas.

16. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

The Smites also do 2 damage. I recall watching my son play Loot and Legends once and I think their purge was an attack card. I could be wrong.

I love Heightened Senses by the way! I prefer the first one. The second one is less powerful and more likely to actually make it in game but...the wording is key. How about: Enemy attacks affecting your square count as targeting you.

I don't know how that would interplay with Flash Of Agony but you might be able to jump back off of a newly placed hot spot, acid blast, or smoke terrain. It has a little built in drawback because sometimes you don't want to jump back when untargeted.

My only other concern with my wording is the interplay with I'm Here About The Job. Which, as we've discussed, is a problematic card. If you have I'm here about the job or invisibility attached I think attacks that don't target you should go off (i.e. be allowed to affect you) and then be reacted to by heightened senses triggering jump back, RT, skip, dodge.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  17. ParodyKnaveBob

@tolkien:

Ah, sorry, I missed the Damage 2 written next to your Range X stats. I was looking everywhere for how it was an attack yet missed that. Derp. $E^ b Lol.

ty @ H.S. feedback (even though it's just a player creation)
    I kind of think I like the first better, too, although the second makes you safer against all the many Magic untargeted effects (aside from Terrain in my version 2). As for Jump Back, don't worry, I know firsthand, when the player has built for it, it can be used to prevent ranged targeted attacks, too. $;^ D

Interesting thought on the potential boost combo there, yeah, using your wording. Hm.

18. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Moment of Clarity

Assist - Warrior only -
    Play this card only on yourself - Duration 1
    Your next melee attack has unblockable, the damage delivered is unpreventable.
    If you take damage and this card is attached, discard it and discard your oldest attack card.

19. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

This sounds like Surestrike Blessing but far, far worse, due to only being able to play on yourself and the drawback. If Surestrike is Paper, what would this be, Tar? It would only be good in very narrow situations like against Nimbus spammers, in which case just use Purge, good against just about anything.

20. WexMajor

WexMajor Thaumaturge

Nope. It's a warrior card.
    No need for priests.