Card Hunter Mobile Question...

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by lemonpips, Mar 14, 2014.

1. lemonpips

lemonpips Mushroom Warrior

I just saw that Card Hunter will be making a move to mobile as well. I know that it's still super early at this point, but is there any info on whether your browser and mobile accounts will be linked? I'd hate to think that I'd have to recollect for the mobile version.

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

From what I gather, it's going to be a different game. Tablet & browser players will be in separate environments, and not playing with each other.

3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

4. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Yeah, the tablet version will be a stand alone and will have single player offline mode supposedly. Probably for the best as offline modes could result in hackers more easily than a constantly online variation.

Curious to see how it pans out. Shame they are doing it for iOS only though.

5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Not sure that's been declared as 100% certain it won't - at least not according to Jon.

6. Stexe

Oh, I remember reading something on the Reddit saying offline mode or whatever. Maybe I'm mistaken though since I was half asleep and had to slog through so many silly MtG questions... ><

7. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Oh, my comment was about a potential android version. I believe a tablet version is likely more offline than the browser version, just as you.

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeah DropForge is going to support Android from the start, supposedly.

9. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

I really don't know how to react to this. I have a tablet and would love to play on it, but the thought of going through another SP playthrough again.. starting from scratch doesn't appeal to me at all. I hope it brings in new players but how will it affect the community? Will there now be two segments, browser-based and tablet-based and never the twain shall meet?

10. SystemIsDown

SystemIsDown Mushroom Warrior

Same here. I wish we were able to use our existing accounts. I have no desire to create a new account and start from scratch. I think this is a missed opportunity. Oh well.

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

If only the whole game were actually a browser game, and anyone with a browser could play it :(

12. SystemIsDown

SystemIsDown Mushroom Warrior

Look what Blizzard just announced today. So sad our devs can't do this too. :(

Stexe likes this.
  13. Stexe

Yeah, they really do need to go for cross platform.

Granted, Blizzard is a multi-billion dollar company and has a ton of resources. I wouldn't mind if content was split, but the ability to play people from the computer and iOS and Android and so on in multiplayer would really go to furthering the game. Right now MP is really stagnated. Once you've finished SP and most of the challenges the only thing you have left is to go for MP... and the more people there the better.

14. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

When you generate $117,000,000 in revenue every month, you get a lot of bandwidth in your capabilities ;)

Stexe and Flaxative like this.
  15. Stexe

Wait, Card Hunter doesn't generate you billions per year?! :-P

Yes, it is a LOT more dev work -- but I really fear that it will fracture any possible growth. The game takes a ton of investment to make a team viable in multiplayer, splitting that into "iOS vs Web" means people will stick to one and not change. Which is problematic if a friend wants to join in but doesn't have an iOS device.

Keeping single player separate seems fine and maybe keeping multiplayer split at the start would be fine -- but if they NEVER allow for the possibility of cross platform it seems like it will either kill the Web one or split the player base. Imagine if League of Legends players on Macs could only play with other Mac people...

16. namad

namad Kobold

not a great example because most games aren't designed to support mac's at all and games don't really suffer at all as a result. if the smartphone version of the game is well made it could actually end up seeing more players than the browser version which would make it even more disasterous for the multiplayer to not be linked. that said I think a touch device might result in slower play and as such would need different timing rules. perhaps letting browser players opt-in to slowmode would make it fair.