Card Hunter Elimination Tournament #1 - Sign Up and Win Pizza!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Scared Little Girl, Jan 30, 2014.

1. TheShadowTitan

TheShadowTitan #3 in Spring PvP Season

I win 6-0 vs Niccodemus

2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

6-1 vs Ghostbrain (or was it 6-2?)

3. Magus

Magus Orc Soldier

Magus 4-2 Starcryst
    (Magus wins by time expiration)

4. codefive

codefive Kobold

Codefive wins 6.3 vrs owangolama

5. PaladinGP

PaladinGP #1 in Spring PvP Season

Paladin GP wins 6-4

6. Checkers

Checkers Kobold

Round 2: Checkers win vs DeathFace
    6-0

7. ArcadianRook

ArcadianRook Goblin Champion

6-5 Victory for I over KharbonKhan

8. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

ElShafto def. Dakmor 6-2

9. codefive

codefive Kobold

Codefive wins 6.3 vrs neoncat round 2

10. Qivril

Qivril War Monkey

Qivril: 6 - Magus: 5

11. SgtSteve

SgtSteve Kobold

Round 2: SgtSteve 6 - Stexe 3

12. TheShadowTitan

TheShadowTitan #3 in Spring PvP Season

I won 6-2 vs PaladinGP

13. Qivril

Qivril War Monkey

Qivril: 6 - Checkers: 1

14. ArcadianRook

ArcadianRook Goblin Champion

6-2 Victory for I over TheShadowTitan

15. SgtSteve

SgtSteve Kobold

Round 3: SgtSteve 6 - Elshafto 4

16. Qivril

Qivril War Monkey

Qivril: 6 - SgtSteve: 2

17. Qivril

Qivril War Monkey

Qivril: 6 - neneboss: 5

18. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Here's my analysis of the tournament after the fact.

There was no reason for it to be single elimination. It was highly self organized and a Swiss format would have been better and reduced the randomness that can result in good players being completely eliminated due to luck.

Also, there was no reason to have 3 byes. There only needed to be a single bye -- two of the three byes could have been matched against each other and the winner put into the slot of one of the former byes.

SLG's The Contest map was kind of boring and lame. It is very different from everything else and doesn't really work in a competitive aspect. Yes, I understand why you wanted it (to see who would adapt their build to counter it), but honestly it was just boring. Having your entire team split up that far apart kind of defeats the purpose of having a balanced team that all supports each other. I think it might work, but not in the way it was created there.

Limiting no WW/WWE was fine -- made the games more interesting and less chaotic and random (outside of the previous mentioned things). Also, having no Legendary items was good as well. Although in the future I think limiting it to Rare only or X amount of Epic would be best. I think an interesting tournament would be around limiting 1 of each item per team as suggested by neoncat.

Blue Manchu really needs to implement some kind of replay system. There isn't enough time to check what people are playing if they are from Legendary items or not, so it boils down to trust. At the very least cards played should have the item name a different color or something based on the item's rarity.

Finally, being able to rebuild your entire team 100% just to counter people is kind of silly. My opponent (SgtSteve) had a bye in the first round so he spectated my match. Then he saw that I wanted to play immediately, to which he wanted to wait (so he could build a counter deck). Yes, I could have changed my build, but I was curious to see how a single build would go. Additionally, I assumed he wouldn't spectate my match and know exactly what he was facing (I asked him if he did but he didn't answer). The ability for someone to know exactly what they are facing and who they are facing gives them a huge advantage in playing towards a specific player.

Ultimately, I don't think the tournament was good from a competitive aspect. It might have been fun casually, but it was overly random with SLG's map and the fact it was single elimination. In the future I'd prefer seeing a smaller rotation of maps, having it Swiss format, and some type of build registration before hand. Even if players are allowed to switch builds between maps, they shouldn't be able to switch builds based on WHO they are facing, just WHAT MAP they are on -- there was no reason SgtSteve would have picked a mass counter spell human Wizard team on that map unless he knew specifically he was fighting me and what I was running. Nothing technically illegal against what he did, just seems like against the spirit of the game and poor sportsmanship, but whatever.

If you want to have weird maps and see who can adapt to them, have each person register a build for each map. Also, having maps where people are scattered and there are random spawn points just doesn't work.

CT5 and Flaxative like this.
  19. SgtSteve

SgtSteve Kobold

While it happened by accident in my last game, I think that setting the timer back to 20 minutes (or removing it entirely) for just the finals would be nice. Gives more ppl a chance to get in and spectate, and it is supposed to be the best players. Giving them some more time to think would add to the match.

My 2c. Also, great tourney SLG, many thanks.

EDIT - Stexe, let's take this somewhere not public (just the you and I stuff) ok? PM sent

20. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

Counterpoint: I loved it. It was much better than Cats. I'm going to see it again and again.