Card Combos

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Tim The Unready, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Will there be the ability to mix cards together to see some synergy? Either your own cards or even more interesting, with other players. Some obvious ones would be poisons (applied to blades) and also effect combos. For example, a fireball sets someone on fire and the warrior may have a potion of alcholol witch either grants him plus one strenght minus one dex or can be used to do d8 damage to target on fire.

Personally I would really like synergies between characters as I feel that often this element is poorly explored in rpg's.
    Thought this thread could be used to 1) get feedback from the makers and 2) be used to see whethe the community think its a good idea and for their creative inputs to be noted.

2. Strumiker

Strumiker Mushroom Warrior

I can see this two ways, although there should be more ways heh - synergies adding more depth to just your basic classes or making specific duos of classes the norm removing the desire to mix and match a rag tag team. What I dislike with most gaming is min/maxing where combat performance is all that matters. This is my opinion of course - I'm anti-competitive in gaming and in life :p I'd rather work together against a goal rather than fight amongst ourselves.

I do however think there could be room for some conditionals like you said. Your example is good, another could be a form of water and lightning. We don't really know yet if they are going to be tracking certain conditions. I'd assume they'll have some, since poison and other lingering effects are a norm for this setting.

Don't take what I said in the first paragraph in a negative light - I am just against having it turn into a "must be played this way or your playing dumb" scenario :) Maybe having tons of synergy possibilities per class would solve that as long as one is not overly powerful.

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Card combos are a really important part of any CCG I think, so we are definitely looking for them. And classes are a very natural way to express those. In many ways a class is a bit like a colour in Magic - and a party is a bit like a multi-coloured deck. You can build a mono-coloured deck (all one class) but you are going to miss out on some possible synergies/combos that you might get between different classes.

breakfish likes this.
  4. Hopibear

Hopibear Mushroom Warrior

Sounds very nice !!
    Very curious how you gonna sort that out Jon!

5. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Conversely there could be an advantage for a mono-colour / class deck, such as three warriors would be needed for a 'Shield Wall' combo, which adds to defence or three mages could combine three different spells to create a 'Prismatic Spray' etc., etc.

6. Kvothe_Rocks!

Kvothe_Rocks! Kobold

So in contrast we could symbolize:
    Warrior = Red = Main damagers
    Ranger = Green = Damager/Healer/Support
    Cleric = White = Main healers
    Mage = Blue = Befuddlers/Support
    Necromancer = Black = Main necrotic/life steal

Or is this much too simplified or outright incorrect?

7. breakfish

breakfish Kobold

warriors making a "shield wall" screams white to me.

8. realmsgamer

realmsgamer Kobold

Card combos give me the same feeling as when I find cash in the couch or laundry. When you go beyond the combos everyone knows about and find a gem of a combo on your own, life is good! :)

breakfish likes this.
  9. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

The best thing about being involved at the start of a game is that there's no "l33t pwnorz" to spolier the whole thing!

breakfish likes this.
  10. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Well, I assume you're just making an analogy; as that, the analogy seems okay. The graphics we've seen do use colored cards, though, and they don't match classes: "Parry" is Green, "Tactical Move" is Blue, and the Elf Rogue holds both.

11. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

I think the Magic analogy is a little stretched - though you can't knock "The Red & The Black" as the Blue Oyster Cult would say.

12. Kvothe_Rocks!

Kvothe_Rocks! Kobold

I agree that was a very rough analogy. I really like however, the concept of using a character class as a magic/color in some fashion.

13. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

14. Jon

Ooh, that looks really cool. Never played it though.

15. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

It's a great game, one of the Microgames type affairs. A strong warrior could hold a doorway or narrow corridor for ever and a day, but was vulnerable to outflanking or a sneak attack.

16. Hopibear

lolzzz that game is old!!i tried it as a kid ( 6-7 years) was to complex for me since i couldn't understand english very well :p

17. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Kudos to you for trying under those circumstances!

18. Jon

19. Hopibear

20. sageco

sageco Kobold

Good to hear that synergy is being considered well, hate it when games force you to "focus" in a single class/role to do well.