Card Analysis 2: Mysteries in the Dark

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Roshirai, Sep 15, 2011.

1. sokolov

sokolov Mushroom Warrior

Hmmm... are you able to see what cards your opponent discards?

2. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yep, anything that gets discarded is revealed to everyone.

SurgeonFish likes this.
  3. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Let us admire the shiny new combat possibilities:

http://www.cardhunter.com/2011/11/crushing-gauntlets-preview

[​IMG]

Now that's neat. A built-in "oops my item broke" system that doesn't feel like a total ripoff: hey, at least your broken equipment saved you from 2 points of damage. However, I think there's a problem with the icons. Consider the "explosion" icon in the corner which is supposed to tell us when the reaction effect kicks in. It looks like . . .

[​IMG]

. . . the damage icon. Which would be okay, if only Bash's "damage boost reaction" used an explosion icon and not a sword icon. But I wager it's actually a mistake (best not to use the same icon in different places), and I think Crushing Gauntlets would be most easily understood with the sword icon.

Did anybody follow my attempt at logic there?

4. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

Probably just an artifact of tuning up the icon system. Though I'm ready to make the opposite argument, that dealing damage should use the same icon - in this case, the explosion - regardless of action or reaction type. The same icon is in two places because it means the same thing.

5. Jon

You are right! Crushing Gauntlets had the wrong icon on it (rushes off to fix the bug).

6. Jon

Fixed!

7. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Are we going to have a card/equipment list on the website? Something we can scroll through at work or home to look at the different options available and deck combinations, or is it going to be a big secret till we find the cards?

One more question
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    They are both Old Chainmail?
    And is that extra point of absorption worth the shiny border when the regular chainmail goes back into my hand? Nevermind the icon is that of returning to your hand

8. Sir Knight

Two things:

One, as you know, Old Chainmail will grant multiple cards. Thus, neither of these cards "are" Old Chainmail.

Two, I'm gonna guess you've spotted card revision in action! Care to link the original sources? Most likely, only one of these cards will exist in the final version.

9. SurgeonFish

Actually i think they are 2 separate items/cards because you can see the flavor text and borders are different as are the names and slightly different effect. Perhaps this is one of the few ways we will progress as heroes. here is the link

10. Sir Knight

Yes, those are the things that I am calling "revision." I could see it going either way, really. "Dzeddhome" is a much more game-relevant quote than "sticks and stones," implying revision to me, and everything else could just be them changing their mind about it; but on the other hand, if they kept going and gave each card a distinct graphic, then okay you've got two cards.

Also, you provided the link to the second version of the card. Where did you find the first?

11. Jon

Yeah, so this is a bit confusing sorry. The Mail card preview was sitting around for a while and I published it over the weekend. Then I realised that it was a bit redundant after previewing Solid Mail in the dev diary. So, I replaced it with the Crushing Gauntlets preview. But it seems that it's still there in the blog.

Anyway, both cards are part of the Old Chainmail card suite. The top color indicates that Mail is just an ordinary power level card whereas the bronze strip indicates that Solid Mail is a more powerful card (because it is Armor 3 instead of 2).

"Return this card to hand" is indicated by the icon in the lower right, which both cards have. However, we've started writing it out in full just to make things clearer. That's why Mail says it but Solid Mail doesn't (it's an older render of the card).

Does that clear things up? :confused:

12. SurgeonFish

Like Ben Stein in a Convention for the dreary red eye

(If you know who ben stein is high five, bonus points if you laughed)

Zoorland likes this.