[Bug] movement boosts applied after encumber

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by neoncat, Aug 6, 2014.

1. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I tried several combinations of movement + boosts + encumber, and I found the following bugs (in red):

Run + Chilling Rime = 2
    Run + Chilling Rime + Frost Jolt = 1
    QA + Run + Frost Jolt = 3

QA + Slow + Frost Jolt = 2
    QA + Thick Hide Armor + Frost Jolt = 3
    QA + Run + Frost Jolt + Cone of Cold = 3

This bug seems to result from Encumbrance being applied to the base movement value, which can't be reduced below 1 (excepting Slow which has a base move of 0), instead of the base + boost movement value.

Boost effects are applied after the (possibly truncated) encumber effect, leading to extra movement points when fully encumbered.

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Not sure it's a bug, but I personally would prefer if encumber applied after the boosts (especially given the nerf to encumber). @Jon?

Squidy likes this.
  3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

If we apply the "minimum 1" at the end, the order we apply boosts and encumber won't matter if we allow negative intermediate values.

Lord Feleran likes this.
  4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Haven't had time to make it over to the test server yet, has anyone tried encumber and step moves? Are they still move 1 minimum?

Has anyone tried Slow and encumber without boosts? Does it result in movement 1? :D

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Squidy and I tested this. Slowed is still 0 with encumber, but if you have boosts they apply directly to the 0 and the encumber doesn't matter.

6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I'm late to the party, but got the same results as neoncat & Flax. (I remembered yesterday's question, but didn't read all today's posts. :p )
    Step attacks also receive an encumbered minimum of 1. (wai?)
    Slow is kind of a non-issue aside from boosted movement.
    I'll opine that movement, boost, and encumber (in that order) should be calculated before setting the minimum move to 1. Some systems don't work well with negative numbers, and this would avoid the problem.

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I agree with this. I'll see if it's possible. (And yes, step attacks at minimum of 1 is WAI.)

8. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

This is working as intended, in the sense that I knew the code would work that way. I wasn't 100% sure how it should work though.

The reason I coded it this way (encumber is applied first, can only reduce to 1, then boosts are applied) was to:
    1. Provide a consistent system that didn't rely on the order that the effects triggered in (which it did previously).
    2. Ensure that move boosts were as useful as possible.
    Perhaps its more intuitive for the total encumber and boosts to be summed and then applied to the move value which is thresholded at a minimum of 1. I'm open to opinions either way.

9. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Encumber got a big nerf anyway (not being possible to lock down targets with it), I don't think it needs another one.
    I definitely vote for this option. More intuitive and more reasonable too.

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  10. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I'm on the same boat here. As in, I agree.

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader