[BUG] game crashes on battle timer defeat .. 50/50 -ish

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by ParodyKnaveBob, Apr 11, 2016.

1. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I was just sure I'd posted this months ago. Weird. I've certainly talked about it enough. Anyway.

Imagine right quickly a regular event of basketball teams duking it out on the court. After games, not always, but regularly enough, teams shake hands and maybe talk a little about the match, especially if it the score got really close up to the buzzer. Now, sometimes, some teams will walk off the court if things don't seem to be going their way. A few rare ones will explain themselves, but most of this type will just leave right in the middle of a shot or pass, or when switching control of the ball or something. These types often get talked about (even if not by name) by the more social teams at large, how ridiculous and sometimes even rude this is -- combining words like "rage" and "forfeit" into single terms. Some losing teams will wait for the final call but scram immediately afterward; sure, life happens, but sometimes a winning team can be caught off guard when turning around to say good job etc. but the losing team's already left the building; not as big a deal when you think it all through, but it's easy for this last group to get associated with enraged forfeiters. Okay. Now, imagine one team in particular gets a lot of close-at-the-buzzer games, lots of nail-biters, more often perhaps than seemingly reasonable, and approximately half the time, while the ball is flying toward the hoop, and the buzzer sounds, ... while the ball is bouncing off the rim and not scoring the shot, some bouncers appear from nowhere, grab this one team by the collars, and start shoving them out the doors before the other team can even notice. Just get out of here. Go. The losing team might want to congratulate the winning team, maybe even seek to feel better about the loss by at least being sociable about it -- but instead, the losing team repeatedly feels like they're resembling the many teams who, to one degree or another, just walk out on their own. This really, seriously disheartens the losing team. It's not the loss. It's not even the loss which *once again* came down to the wire. The game was fun. It's the jerk bouncers. It's the hateful guys in black suits and sunglasses who smilelessly hoist the players up and shove them out the doors while everyone's attention is on that orange ball arcing through the air. (Even if the team was going to leave fairly shortly thereafter, the team feels fairly obligated to make their way around the bouncers through another door and look for the winning team. Sometimes, when this takes a literal five-or-more minutes, the winning team's already gone. Understandably. They have things to do, too. The losing team just feel like a bunch of jerks now. If the losing team can consciously see the irrationality behind the feeling, the losing team might even feel worse for being irrational.)

~exhale~

(Sorry. Intended that "right quickly" to actually be a "right quickly." The mental picture really got fleshed out, though.)

When I lose to timer (which doesn't happen as often anymore, but can still be frequent, especially with the insanely short constructed league timers), there seems to be about a 50/50 chance of the game crashing. Details:
    • Kongregate, latest Chrome and Flash, Version 3.126.0.11612, SFS Version: 1.2.0, but really this has been going on since I started playing MP about 9-11 months ago. I've only played through Chrome+Kong.

• Timer alert sounds. Defeat music plays. Defeat screen appears. Background darkens, pop-up appears, "You have run out of time." Background darkens more, pop-up appears, "You have run out of time." Background darkens more, pop-up appears, "You have run out of time." Background darkens more, pop-up appears, "You have run out of time." There is no way to end the pop-up onslaught except for refreshing the game.

• I cannot get you info from the console of course because the game's crashing. $E^ J

• This never happens if I lose for any other reason.

• This never happens when I win, including by timer.

• For the longest time, I had no clue as to why it sometimes did and sometimes did not crash. I'm still only going on guesswork b/c game-crashing bugs are the furthest things from my mind when I'm trying once again to eke out a victory with a 5-0 score and 25 seconds to go, 10 seconds left to go, 3 seconds left to go, just need one more click to get it. I want to guess that if I've selected a card to play but have not finished playing the card -- such as moving to a location or attacking a target -- then that might be when it crashes. I want to guess that if I haven't yet clicked a card to start playing it, then it doesn't crash. This would require testing of course. Maybe if one day I'm not feeling totally burnt by its existence, I can try to reproduce this reliably with someone? $:^ | ~exhale~ EDIT: Nevermind, see next post.
    Please fix this spirit-crushing bug if you can. $E^ ) Seriously. $:^ \

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  2. ParodyKnaveBob

I've now confirmed:
    • mid-selecting a card's action, run out of time, game did not crash
    • not selecting a card, run out of time, game crashed
    So yeah, I still don't know the cause due to the result's seemingly arbitrary nature.

3. ParodyKnaveBob

Am I seriously the only Card Hunter who sees this? Out of hundreds, a thousand-plus?

Just now, had a nice match going, was on the losing end, and the timer ran out at a kind of personally frustrating moment (because I was right in the middle of playing a card that was going to bring me immense satisfaction after an intense battle-workout), and BOOM PUNCH IN THE FACE KICK OUT OF THE GAME. All right. Time to reload. Time to go hunt the player down if still online. Time to apologize for the game crashing -- that I'm not some sore loser who poofed after the loss. Time to give a nice verbal handshake for game quite well played. Time to hate this bug again and see if anyone, anyone on the forum at all, might have faced this bug as well. ~exhale~

Edit: Btw, it seems to me the easy fix would be to just completely remove the "You have run out of time" dialog that pops up since the defeat screen *already says* the loss came due to time (plus the audible timer horn). No need for three (or in my case fifty thousand *oops* reload) repeated explanations of why the loss.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  4. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Has happened to me a few times during leagues too.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. ParodyKnaveBob

Timed out in Barrels just now.

Yeah, I don't wanna see that repeated, either. I got it the first time. Really, I did. I'm sure you did, too.

The differences are your browser doesn't crash upon reaching my post, my post ended on its own, and if you really want to not look at my repeats you can just use some tried-and-true keyboard shortcut to get it out of the way.

It sears the brain. It induces rage.

I expect after several more of these, I'll once again bring my acidic disgust. (This happens in Steam, too. At least I don't time out as often these days -- in ranked anyway. League timers are still [replacing several different emotional phrases here] debilitating.)

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Can you check in your browser's developer console when this happens?

7. ParodyKnaveBob

Thank you checking in, Flaxative.

Since my low-end machine can barely run CH in a browser, I've been playing in Steam for the past month or two. (That reminds me. I still need to post my stats in that Steam vs. browser comparison thread.) Meanwhile, every now and then, (in general play not involving a timeout,) CH will even crash in Steam for me.

I don't see myself trying to actually play in a browser in the near future, thus after this week, I'll see if I can't test in a browser via casual matches set for 1 minute or something. I'd record it, too, but RAM is tight enough already.

Thank you again, ~nod~
    Bob

8. Game crash doing some campaing maps... Cannot leave the battle, I can talk, but couln't play a trait.

9. ParodyKnaveBob

10. After a restart the problem is fixed, the bad thing is I lose the chance of found my bandit.

11. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Can you please post the battle log next time this happens? Press F1 twice and then copy all the log entries that relate to your current battle. We're particularly looking for any errors, of course.

12. OK it happend again meanwhile searching for my bandit

The battle log is enourmous so I cut it to the last part (the important thing)
    ANd keep the first part

=== CARD HUNTER CORE PC Client ===
    Tue Dec 27 19:37:33 GMT-0400 2016
    Sandbox Type: application
    Version 3.176.0.12031
    SFS Version: 1.2.0

BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Squirrelbane took 8 damage
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Force.ofWill,Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=TriggerSucceed,Trigger=Volcano,TriggeringActor=[Null],AffectedActors=Ancada,TriggerType=StartTurn,TriggerLocation=SquareAttachment
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Force.ofWill,Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=TriggerSucceed,Trigger=Combustible,TriggeringActor=Ancada,AffectedActors=,TriggerType=PreDamage,TriggerLocation=ActorAttachment
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Ancada took 11 damage
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Force.ofWill,Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=TriggerSucceed,Trigger=Volcano,TriggeringActor=[Null],AffectedActors=Wotota,TriggerType=StartTurn,TriggerLocation=SquareAttachment
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Wotota took 8 damage
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Force.ofWill,Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=TriggerSucceed,Trigger=Volcano,TriggeringActor=[Null],AffectedActors=Cequeb,TriggerType=StartTurn,TriggerLocation=SquareAttachment
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Force.ofWill,Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=TriggerSucceed,Trigger=Combustible,TriggeringActor=Cequeb,AffectedActors=,TriggerType=PreDamage,TriggerLocation=ActorAttachment
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Cequeb took 11 damage
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Force.ofWill,Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=TriggerSucceed,Trigger=Volcano,TriggeringActor=[Null],AffectedActors=Nomino Eximo,TriggerType=StartTurn,TriggerLocation=SquareAttachment
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Force.ofWill,Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=TriggerSucceed,Trigger=Impenetrable Nimbus,TriggeringActor=Nomino Eximo,AffectedActors=,TriggerType=PreDamage,TriggerLocation=ActorAttachment
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Nomino Eximo took 0 damage
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Force.ofWill,Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=TriggerSucceed,Trigger=Volcano,TriggeringActor=[Null],AffectedActors=Camperigan,TriggerType=StartTurn,TriggerLocation=SquareAttachment
    BATTLE LOG: Player=Force.ofWill,Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=TriggerSucceed,Trigger=Resistant Hide,TriggeringActor=Camperigan,AffectedActors=,TriggerType=PreDamage,TriggerLocation=Hand
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Camperigan took 0 damage
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=AttachmentExpired,Attachment=Impenetrable Nimbus,AttachedTo=Nomino Eximo
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=AttachmentExpired,Attachment=Firestorm,AttachedTo=Nomino Eximo
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=AttachmentExpired,Attachment=Impenetrable Nimbus,AttachedTo=Camperigan
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=AttachmentExpired,Attachment=Firestorm,AttachedTo=Camperigan
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=AttachmentExpired,Attachment=Vulnerable,AttachedTo=Leonaraka
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=AttachmentExpired,Attachment=Firestorm,AttachedTo=Leonaraka
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=AttachmentExpired,Attachment=Firestorm,AttachedTo=Ancada
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=AttachmentExpired,Attachment=Firestorm,AttachedTo=Wotota
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=AttachmentExpired,Attachment=Firestorm,AttachedTo=Cequeb
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Detaching and discarding Impenetrable Nimbus from Nomino Eximo
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Detaching and discarding Firestorm from Nomino Eximo
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Detaching and discarding Impenetrable Nimbus from Camperigan
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Detaching and discarding Firestorm from Camperigan
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Detaching and discarding Vulnerable from Leonaraka
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Detaching and discarding Firestorm from Leonaraka
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Detaching and discarding Firestorm from Ancada
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Detaching and discarding Firestorm from Wotota
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Detaching and discarding Firestorm from Cequeb
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Event=Draw Phase Initiated
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Gary drew Walk for Towering Maple Trees
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Gary drew a card for Towering Maple Trees
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Gary drew a card for Towering Maple Trees
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Gary drew Walk for Towering Maple Trees2
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Gary drew a card for Towering Maple Trees2
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Gary drew a card for Towering Maple Trees2
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Gary drew Walk for Spreading Oak
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Gary drew a card for Spreading Oak
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Gary drew a card for Spreading Oak
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Force.ofWill drew Run for Nomino Eximo
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Force.ofWill drew Able Bludgeon for Nomino Eximo
    BATTLE WARNING: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Command::instruct Unhandled Instruction:
    (utf_string) type: handPeeks
    (int_array) SENDID: [0]
    (bool) IIU: false
    (sfs_object) HP:
    (sfs_array) peeks:
    (sfs_object)
    (int) cownerp: -1
    (int) owner: 0
    (utf_string) origin: Human
    (int) cownerg: -1
    (utf_string) type: Run
    (bool) logOnClient: false
    (int) group: 1
    (int) card: 0

BATTLE WARNING: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Command::instruct current command queue:
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::DeckPeekCommand
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::DeckToHandCommand
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::DrawTemporaryCardCommand
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::StartDrawCardCommand
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::StartActionPhaseCommand
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::StartScoringPhaseCommand
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::StartDiscardPhaseCommand
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::EndTurnCommand

BATTLE WARNING: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Battle::run failed due to command error.
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Received invalid instruction on command com.cardhunter.battle.commands::DeckPeekCommand: forced defeat
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Gary was defeated
    BATTLE WARNING: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Command::instruct Unhandled Instruction:
    (bool) IIU: false
    (utf_string) type: handPeeksSent

BATTLE WARNING: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Command::instruct current command queue:
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::DeckToHandCommand
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::GameOverPhaseCommand
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::StartActionPhaseCommand
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::StartScoringPhaseCommand
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::StartDiscardPhaseCommand
    com.cardhunter.battle.commands::EndTurnCommand

BATTLE WARNING: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Battle::run failed due to command error.
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Dense Wood,Room=BLK2 (Force.ofWill),RoomID=136561,Msg=Received invalid instruction on command com.cardhunter.battle.commands::DeckToHandCommand: forced defeat

> clip

13. Wasn't in a MP match but the problem is similar, you can talk on world chat, but you can't play. Only restore after a restart.

14. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Can you please repost your report in a new thread please? This thread is for discussing the client crashing when the battle timer runs out.

15. ParodyKnaveBob

Sorry for taking so long getting back to this. Seems like my To Do List just keeps piling up...

Fired up the latest Google Chrome to test for about an hour straight with a one-minute timer against Gary. Tried doing nothing, tried doing all kinds of stuff. Never could reproduce. $:^ [