Buff Penetrating Bolt

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by tolkien, Jan 6, 2017.

1. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Make it Linear.

2. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

Linear...
    I need some basis, such as universal uselessness compared to other silver cards, or otherwise.

3. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

4. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Um, tolkien, I'm pretty sure PULSEFIRE was saying you need to supply the basis for it to be Linear because PULSEFIRE does not see universal uselessness compared to other silver cards (nor otherwise).

Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

I wrote about Pen. Bolt being adequate quality (even if people don't like it) during the AA contest/discussion to create a new card. I'll see if I can't find and link it here at some point. (No promises.)

5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Even if you wrote that is was adequate quality, that doesn't change the fact that it really isn't strong enough. I don't think I would ever replace my deadly spark, or arcane burst, or punish bolt or most silver cards for a pen. bolt. I don't even think I use it in campaign either. Compare pen. bolt to pen. cut, +7 range for +5 rating and req. wizard.

6. ParodyKnaveBob

7. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

The funny thing is, sometimes I'm glad my Spark doesn't have penetrating so I can find out who's the best target for my armor removal before I close to melee range. Another idea besides making penetrating bolt linear is to make it a spark instead of a bolt, thereby making it more buffable.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  8. ParodyKnaveBob

Of course, there is Jumpspark already.

Wait wait wait, and it's bronze?!

$:^ |

9. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Jeez, jumpspark makes a convincing case that penetrating bolt needs a buff.

How about this: range 8, damage 1, add 1 to the damage for each square closer to you than the max range. (Example: at range 1 its 8 damage. I

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  10. ParodyKnaveBob

Whether or not that half-new mechanic (think Charge) is the answer, Jumpspark does present an imbalance somewhere (although I must say I haven't looked into plus and minus qualities). $:^ \

11. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

It seems like a good sign that all the devs balance efforts have been successful when we are talking about a card that shows up only on nine items total, and shows up in multiple copies on only 3 items in the entire game. :)

WexMajor, ParodyKnaveBob and tolkien like this.
  12. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

The main reason why I find Penetrating Bolt should be Linear is because it makes total sense that a bolt which can penetrate would be able to have linear targeting. Not much of a penetrating bolt if it can't even penetrate through one enemy to hit another!

13. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

It would certainly make my favorite staff more favorable, so I'm all for this.

14. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

Hmm...
    I have decided that it indeed needs a buff.
    An increase of 1 damage compared to it's PAPER quality cousin, penetrating zap, is neglible at best.
    THEREFORE!
    This card simply needs a damage buff.
    A large one.
    Linear is not warranted.

15. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

so let it be written...

16. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

Anyways, all silliness aside, I don't simply know why it's silver.
    It's supposed to be..
    WAIT!
    Why is it labeled bolt if it's literally a Penetrating parody of Sorcerous Blast?
    It's just like penetrating zap vs normal zap, with a damage reduction of 2.

17. ParodyKnaveBob

PULSEFIRE, huge range difference, though.

18. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Huge? +33% range from 6 to 8 isn't huge.

19. ParodyKnaveBob

timeracers: Nope. $:^ }

(emphasis in original)
    Huge range difference between Penetrating Zap and Penetrating Bolt.

20. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I see your mistake now, you named the person you were replying to without specifying the post. I think most of us will assume the most recent post unless specified otherwise. Even if you argue that it wasn't a mistake, you still got to admit that the message you were trying to deliver to the forums wasn't clear enough for everyone to understand and could be more clear by specifying the post.