Buff Desperate Block

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by tolkien, Jan 6, 2017.

1. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Add Draw a Card.

2. Goodwin

Goodwin Ogre

mmmmm maybe

3. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

It's not enough for you that it invisibly lets through that Bludgeon Parry-check then tries to stop the Mighty Bludgeon follow-up in its tracks? $E^ }

Maniafig likes this.
  4. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I find that Desperate Block's niche of only preventing 'big damage' attacks is useful enough against low-damage blockchecks to not need an additional card draw, IMO Card Draw is why some blocks have such an odd value problem in the first place, but I wouldn't mind its dice roll being 2+ so it doesn't as often then totally fail to actually prevent any of those 6+ damage attacks.

karadoc and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  5. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

2+ instead of 3+? Sounds good to me!

6. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Give it something! It's block any but mostly worthless against ranged attacks which frequently have hard to block or a less damage. Shield block is vastly preferable at this point if you're going high cost block any. So sure make it 2+!

7. PULSEFIRE

PULSEFIRE Ogre

I think lowering its roll to 2+ is a good idea. But, do they look at these threads?

8. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

They read everything, at least once.

9. Frostguard

Frostguard Thaumaturge

As others have pointed out, the biggest upside of Desperate Block is that it can't be drawn out by weaker attacks, and it's a quite powerful one at that. I've seen a bunch of times, Quick Draw or not, when it worked the exact way ParodyKnaveBob mentioned; people don't expect it, I guess.

Regarding its uselessness against ranged attacks, that's not an issue with Desperate Block itself. Spark Inductor and Spark Generator grant massive Hard to Block bonuses to arcane cards (which, honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing reduced), which makes blocks generally hard to use against wizards (who tend to use a bunch of arcane attacks to move enemies around and things).

As for card draw, yes, that's easily one of the most valuable asset on blocks. Blocks that draw an additional card are generally seen as the best ones. Parry is definitely undercosted at bronze. Which I understand is a conscious decision to have a cheap counter to melee attacks from the front. What I don't understand is the fact that such a purposefully undercosted card is so easy to spam (looking at you, Blocking Mace), especially together with a number of great attacks, but that's another problem altogether.

I don't know if it'd be a workable idea to have separate requirements for blocks to block an attack and draw a card, for example Parry could require 2+ to block an attack but it'd only draw a card on 3+. On one hand that sounds incredibly frustrating when it decides not to work, but it could also increase the value of rarely seen cards like Bad Luck and Feinting Strike.

ParodyKnaveBob and Maniafig like this.