Bronze Golem needs counterplay.

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Slightly, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Slightly

Slightly Kobold

Hi, new beta participant.

Doing the level 2 Wizard's Tower 2nd fight at the moment against the Bronze Golem and it's a bit of a numbers slog that basically comes down to how unlucky you are with his armour rolls.

There's not really any counterplay available - I'd suggest maybe making his armour not block attacks from behind? That would also match his 'disability' card which stops him turning around, which seems pretty redundant in his current state.

2. jsutcliffe

jsutcliffe Kobold

Him not turning helps stop you from getting hit when at close range. Id also try filling you priest with'discard oldest card' cards not sure on the name of them. But often first on takes away a walk card then after that you seem to take away his armour. Even taking away one armour card helps alot with him.

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Wavering Faith is the card you're looking for.

4. Slightly

Slightly Kobold

Howso? I thought facing was just for armour that states 'doesn't cover your behind' and block cards?

5. Pengw1n

I think the not turning might be related to him playing the trait drawback "clumsy".

6. Slightly

Slightly Kobold

Yeah his trait stops him from turning when you attack him but I can't see how that is to my advantage as none of his other cards care what direction he's facing?

7. Slightly

Slightly Kobold

Oh i see, I just found another one and Clumsy has triggered again. There's two parts to it, he doesn't turn when attacked (which isn't relevant I don't think) but more helpful is that he can't turn to attack so I guess you can use that opportunity to 'hide behind him' for a round to stop him attacking? Makes a little sense now.

8. Pengw1n

Yeah, Clumsy makes it possible to dart in/out if and kite him if you have a mobile enough group. Should get him down with a few tries!

9. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is like those boss fights in other videogames where you have to run around and hit it from behind to avoid being crushed by the boss's massive attacks. "Not turning when attacked" is perfectly relevant, as it is critical: you're not trying to hide, you're trying to attack. Attack from behind and the "boss" is helpless.

Another plus to this is that the golem winds up with a lot of cards to discard (all those wasted attacks), increasing the chance that Gary will discard some of that annoying armor for you. Win-win.

I'm impressed by how many different "videogame feelings" the programmers fit into Card Hunter, really. Strategy gets complicated.

10. Slightly

Slightly Kobold

Yeah I got it in the end and think the fight's pretty good. Although I think it could've felt more intuitive somehow. Not sure whether rewording Clumsy would help or maybe a better explanation of facing in the tutorial? Not sure. I enjoyed the fight once I 'got it' but think it could've been made a bit more intuitive that it's what you need to do.

11. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Boiling armor, Dissolve armor, Shredding strike. These are the cards you need.

12. Slightly

Slightly Kobold

Yeah didn't have anything fancy like that, I guess the loot is pretty random :)

13. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Hey, hey, I didn't get a single one of those until higher levels. My lowest-level item with Dissolve Armor is level 6, and the others are in the teens.

What you meant was "Penetrating. This is the keyword you need." I still use level 1 items with armor penetrating cards.