Brewing with Peon

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by peonprop, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Exactly. Laser Whip requires positioning, which is why bashes may be needed.

2. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I stand by the thought that chops or bashed in large quantities are lame.
    Having an oblit chop or 2 can be useful. Lunging and Pressing bashes are useful.
    Having a build with 14+ bashes or chops is lame in MP.
    Chops can work in SP especially levels where you don't have any major tokens.

I never said Lunging Bash and Laser Whip is lame.

3. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

I haven't put in enough games for a conclusive verdict yet but I must say that people are not playing around Chops as much as I thought they would. Maybe ganging up on my warrior is too tempting but I have yet to use or even needed to use Gusts Of War for its intended purpose. The priest doesn't draw enough Chops to move to the front lines so I'm likely going to make it a pure buffer as originally planned. Heck, I might even do away with the wizard altogether if things continue to go so smoothly. Kinda wish I had a 4th Bloodchopper now. I will need to increase mobility somehow though. I forgot how awfully slow dwarf warriors are without their Vibrant Pains.

4. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Wish I had one. Lately I was killed by a blood chooper from a blind raged, unholy frenzied and mass frenzied warrior, which jumped with a sprint team in the first round into my chars and had three chops, a parry and additional was protected by a defenders block of his fellow warrior. It was ridiculous.

5. doog37

doog37 Hydra

That's a LOT of cards for first round.

6. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I guess the most difficult part for him is the sprint team on his priest. Depending on the priest he has a lot frenzies and when his warrior runs double Bloodchooper, then having three is not that difficult. Allthough I do not remember where his blind rage came from.

7. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

The first build was doing ok but there were things I didn't like about it. I retooled it a bit so hopefully it's now a lean mean Chopping machine.

Pork
    Level 20 Dwarf Warrior

Marroo
    Level 22 Dwarf Wizard

Nerlaze
    Level 23 Human Priest

So it turns out I've been going about it all wrong. Gusts Of War was fine but since my opponents had to attack me eventually, the first Chopee is pretty much free. I only need a way to get the second one in line and keep it there. So the wizard got a major overhaul. Telekinesis takes over the "get over here" spell slot and I added Cold spells to make sure even the most fleet footed elves can only waddle away. I realize this doesn't work against triple wiz teams but we'll burn that bridge when we get to it. The priest wasn't getting much chopping done so out went the Axes and in come the buffs and team movement. Only one minor change to the warrior. I wasn't too happy with the smaller Chops so I got rid of them altogether. Troll's Ire gives a bit of armor removal while cycling to the Obliterating Chop. I know I said I wanted more mobility but Rageblood Dagger is mostly Step 1s and the addition of Sundering Strikes allows my wizard to run more Telekinesis, which can double as Walks. Oh, and I renamed the warrior to Pork since it only seemed fitting.

Inkfingers, Pyrogoth, Han Lee and 3 others like this.
  8. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Cause he needs less armor removel on the wizard. If that equation will work is another story, but in a vacuum it is fine.

9. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

As many of you may have guessed, I haven't had the time to play multiplayer the past couple months and that isn't likely to change for the foreseeable future. But seeing as how Bloodchopper has graced us with its presence in The Daily Deal this is as good a time as any to share my findings with my very brief foray into Chops. Again, I've only put a few games into testing Chops so take my words with a grain of salt.

10. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Chop

Pros
    • So uncommonly used that no one plays around Chops
    • Even after you've gotten a full value Chop in, people continue to leave themselves exposed due to...
      • not wanting to give up their outnumbering advantage on the Chopper
      • not wanting to retreat without getting their own attacks in
      • not wanting to give up central victory squares
      • not believing you have more Chops
    Cons
    • You are mostly at the mercy of your opponent's positioning unless you bring along control cards or expose your Chopper to make double teaming more tempting
    • Non-melee attackers aren't as likely to group together making full value Chops incredibly hard to pull off against them
    • Currently, only Obliterating Chop (and Massive Chop but Giant Skeletal Arm sucks) is impactful enough as a single target attack, severely limiting the pool of playable Chop items
    Verdict- Much better than I would have ever thought since I underestimated how often you'd be able to get double hits in. However, I still think Obliterating Chop is the only way to go. If you want to make a dedicated Chopping build, you pretty much have to go with double Bloodchoppers. Check your local Daily Deals. Act now while supplies last.

Sir Veza likes this.
  11. MathuranF

MathuranF Lizardman Priest

I would say that Vibrant Pain might be a nice pairing with the Bloodchopper to hop in between 2 chars and get the value of the chop. A con of this is pretty much after the first combo your opponent will probably be more wary of their spacing, but it could help with the divide and conquer strategy.

Although you did said "dedicated chopping build" which would not include Vibrant Pain

12. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

I think it would be better to:
    - include movement on your other characters
    - put movement into everything - armor, shields, etc.

And... yeah, I'm planning to make a deck with 2 Bloodchoppers. Just you wait people!

Sir Veza likes this.
  13. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Nothing like telegraphing your wall-breaking, Lucky. ;) "Take THAT meta! HA!"
    I hope it works out for you!

14. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

2x bloodchopper, spiked tzthuli?, helmet of thorns for ouch madness

15. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

If you can spare a token, Necalli Cap can be fun. I usually prefer Energizing Moves, but the AOA is often useful if it shows up.
    And Looty is at Riddle today! A perfect spot for breaking in those shiny new Bloodchoppers from the DD. :cool:
    It had to be Looty's doing. Randi isn't that organized.

degensquared likes this.
  16. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

There were several ppl in the 17++ and 18++ using this tech.

17. visak13

visak13 Ogre

I want to add a few more points.

Pros:
    • Reduces melee range to 1. This cancels the advantage of the Double-edged Sword.
    • Maintains your line of sight while nullyfying opponents' if you know where to throw it.
    • Also a priest's nightmare. Priest has less movement than a warrior, right? And how about smoking the bless? 3/36=1/12 of the priest is already useless.
    Cons:

I have been using the smoke wizard for a heck lot of months. I never ever felt like giving up on him!:)

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Jump Back isn't related with Smoke Bomb whatsoever.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Obernoob and Sir Veza like this.
  18. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Interesting take on Smoke Bomb. I'm not sure I agree with all of it but you've definitely put a lot more games into playing with the card than I have so your input is appreciated. What is the interaction between Jump Back and Smoke Bomb? Also, you linked all of the cards as items. Use the button to the left of the green orb for cards.

19. visak13

visak13 Ogre

The strategy for Jump Back users is to maintain their distance and they won't keep that card in hand for long if you smoke them. In short, they'll have to use their defense card to maintain the purpose of their warrior. They do it most of the time. Most of the guys are more concerned about positioning in the current round rather than the strategy that the game demands which is foreseeing. It's true that you get unexpected results for a few battles but otherwise this control wizard rules the game.