Brewing with Peon

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by peonprop, Mar 5, 2015.

1. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

I wouldn't add anyone who relies on adding more attachments to the mix. It might not happen too often but between handicaps and traits stuff is bound to get pushed off. I would add someone that can get in, shoot some fish in a barrel, and get out. A wizard could work too but that pretty much locks your third in as a buff priest. Does Healing Beacon only heal your own party because that could be an interesting way of partially negating the effects of Irradiated terrain while working with Accelerate Time?

2. Beacon heals anyone within one square.

3. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Yes I read the live file: "terrainOnly;playerRelative"

4. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

I tried to build a radioactive priest simply by adding him in my volcano party. Since irradiated terrain affect adjacent squares, I saw an opportunity to deal more damage at the same time as volcano. I had some hilarious moments when it attached a trip or when a warrior took 16 hp in one turn from all those irradiated terrain. You have to pay attention not to accidentaly cover your lava square with irradiated terrain. The range 4 is also a problem sometime. by the way this is the reason entanglment doesnt work well : you need to be too close and it can be purged.

What I realized is that the area covered by irradiated terrain is just huge. You can cover half the map with two spells without a specially lucky draw in the terrain location. If you irradiate in front of a warrior and he moves 2 toward you, he is still in the range of the irradiated square.

But ultimatly its just 2 damage. a reliable armor negates it entirely. Handicap are attached at the begining of the turn and are often out-attached by traits and buffs. And I lost several games because of a stupid Festering Guts. usually the guy realise he just got a damn black hole and suicide bomb him in my mages... very painfull.

I also tried to add an Iradiator in a deck where I play with gene therapy. Same story : very easy to land, but so random you will win more from people stall-quitting.

But I really enjoyed playing with my irradiator, which is what you should expect from an expension right ?

5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Apparently it does heal enemies I tested it in quick-draw recently.

6. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

Yeah, both the text of the card, and my own experience with it would lead me to believe that it works on both parties.

7. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Generally when the database says playerRelative they mean it, the only cards that have it are: Wall of Illusion. Illusory Barrier, Healing Beacon, Hypnotic Beacon, Dual Laser Beacon, Laser Beacon. All those cards except Healing Beacon do not apply to both players.

8. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

Maybe it refers to the visual change that happens depending on which team played the healing beacon? Normally, I would expect that also indicate that there is some kind of different effect depending on which team you're on, but in the end I like the fact that it works on both players.

timeracers and Bandreus like this.
  9. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Can't believe I haven't stumbled onto this post until now :) this is a really cool idea peon! Could I request a composition that utilizes chops efficiently?

10. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Chops and Bashes are kinda lame in large quantities.

11. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I read that as Bacon heals anyone within one square... mmmm tasty healing.

12. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Ehh, maybe it would be fun with a chop/positioning warrior plus a control wizard with a draw/nimbus/frenzy priest :)

13. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Well, I do have some Bloodchoppers collecting dust. I'll see what I can do.

Sir Veza likes this.
  14. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Smoke Bomb

Pros
    • They are a wizard's worst nightmare
    • Useful for clearing enemy terrain attachments and difficult terrain

Cons
    • Useless against characters that rely on range 1 attacks
    • With Smoke Bomb active, your own wizard is essentially only good for reapplying Smoke Bombs
    Verdict- As always, Smoke Bomb is a great wizard hoser but you'll wish it was just about anything else against melee characters. Even if you're running Volcano, Smoke Bomb isn't a great inclusion since other cards that answer it cycle or have other uses.

15. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Woooh go peon :) Looking forward to the chopping team ^^

As for this, I don't completely agree with the second con. You can position your smoke to be useful for control purposes plus you can still move your characters often times. Also, burst still works relatively well :)

16. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Smoke Bomb + Cone of Cold + Buffs = great fun

Mr. Magnifico and doog37 like this.
  17. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Burst 2 works decently against Smoke Bomb. However, if you're in the Smoke Bomb iteself, you are literally in a world of hurt if you cast a Burst spell.

18. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Chops get a bad rap. In exchange for below average damage, they allow you to hit an extra target. That means killing things twice as fast right? Well your opponent isn't likely to be eagerly lining up for you to Chop away. When you do get that rare double hit in you can be sure that your targets are going to be getting the heck out of Chop range. The trick is to get people back into position once the jig is up. So what is a poor lumberjack to do?

Khrumzorn
    Level 20 Dwarf Warrior

Grundkazad
    Level 22 Dwarf Priest

Marroo
    Level 22 Dwarf Wizard

The warrior is a pretty generic Chopper. There aren't too many good options when it comes to Chops so double Bloodchopper seemed like the way to go. I was waffling between going with an elf or a dwarf. An elf seemed like it'd be much better at getting into Chopping position but I chose short guy in the end. When you're purposefully setting yourself up to get double teamed you want as much hp as you can get. The priest was originally going to be purely a buffer but then I saw Demon's Golden Blade and thought "Why the heck not?" Throw in some Bleneth gear and few Purging Bursts in case of any funny business and we're good to go. Last but not least, the wizard is the cog that makes the whole build tick. It is filled to the brim with Gusts Of War that should be enough to get everyone into position. All the important stuff being range 4 might be a little dicey but Gusts of War seems like the best spell for the job. Here's hoping I fight a bunch of trees during testing.

Fifjunior7, Obernoob, PDXTai and 4 others like this.
  19. I don't know, man. I had great fun with my lunging bash/laser whip build.

20. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Lunging Bash and Pressing Bash are both strong positional cards. Laser Whip is neither a chop or a bash.