Brainstorming an online build tool

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by raffishtenant, Dec 7, 2013.

1. So, an idea I've been considering, though it's still in the early conceptual stages. Making it happen would require a pretty significant chunk of time, and I'm not sure how useful it would actually end up being for reasons discussed below, but I thought I'd see if anyone would be interested in kicking it around a bit.

The idea would be to create an online form-based tool that would know each item's card inventory and token cost—I imagine I could get hold of this data in one big table somehow, extracted from the wiki perhaps?—and use it to help plan builds that met certain criteria. An "extreme build" generator would be the most obvious application: it would produce lists like the ones at http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Extreme_Builds, but could do so automatically for any card (or set of cards) and any level/token availability. This model could be extended so that the code would know about certain categories of card, so one could select, say, "range 2+ melee" or "penetrating melee" or "step melee" categories from a list and have every melee attack in that category added to the list of cards for prioritization. Calculating builds designed for maximum deck cycling (i.e. the infamous draw decks) at a given level might be another possibility, though this could get tricky given that the card-draw mechanics are much more varied than simply "This card lets you draw this many additional cards." A feature to generate drawback-only builds for the quests would be more straightforward, though that one might not save much time over messing around by hand in the keep. And so on.

The code could assume availability of every item, or it could use the actual item inventory from one's account. It seems to me that the latter would be far more useful, the drawback being that I imagine most of us would find it extremely tedious to enter our entire inventories into a form for that purpose—and then keep them in sync, even if there were a login system to store that data between sessions. (I don't think there's currently a console command to export one's entire inventory in one big list, correct?)

Anyway...thoughts?

2. Lusus121

Lusus121 Goblin Champion

It wouldn't be too hard to get the card/item data. If it was built well it'd be a great way to easily share builds.

I don't think using your own inventory will be realistic until/if the devs give us the ability to export our inventory. But, yes, that would be awesome.

I wish you luck.

3. Shoe

Shoe Mushroom Warrior

I'd use that tool

4. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

I think it's a good idea, though I also think that there are only a finite number of really good/usable items. Most players figure out their own favorite lists and pretty much automatically plug in replacements as needed. (That is, I *know* which one of a handful of items to consider based on tokens available at this point, and if I need to swap out to make "room" I generally know what I'll be trading out, and for what.)

Still, good idea.