Board games!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Megadestructo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Darion

Darion Kobold

Currently playing Legends of Andor. Great fun!

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I got burned playing Diplomacy as a teen, by my buddys older brother. You never forget your first betrayal! Had a similar experience with my kid brother playing the GoT boardgame - where he got emotional and burst out "But we shook hands!". The rest of us, a bit older and more disillusioned, s******ed - "you have much to learn young Padawan".

3. Soldan

Soldan Kobold

My gaming groups are currently playing Core Worlds, Batman: Gotham City Strategy Game and Ascension.

Megadestructo likes this.
  4. toborprime

toborprime Kobold

My neighbor recently introduced my wife and I to Betrayal at House on the Hill, so I definitely second that! Great game, and never the same twice.

Megadestructo likes this.
  5. Mivo

Mivo Kobold

I'm fairly traditional, and perhaps boring, but my two board game loves are Go and backgammon. I enjoy the occasional Euro game too, like the frequently mentioned Ticket to Ride, or card games like Ascension, but prefer those in an electronic format (iPad).

6. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

Very interested in this game. It looks a bit like Defenders of the Realm. Is it worth buying?

Harandir likes this.
  7. shram86

shram86 Kobold

Don't laugh.
    The Doom board game (yes, the iD software game) is one of the coolest board games I've ever played.
    You can build your own layouts and scenarios because all the room pieces are interlocking. It's like, a levelbuilder's wet dream.

Grombak likes this.
  8. gorbad_6

gorbad_6 Kobold

i just bought android:netrun a cyberpunk cardgame for two. im really curious about that. other than that its catan (since for ever now it seems) & carcassonne

9. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

So, even though I own the board version, I've found myself wholly invested in the iPad version of Eclipse because...there's no clean up and everything is calculated automatically. I'm still TERRIBLE at it, but I find it one of the most compelling 4x games I've ever played.

10. Rogen Jemi

Rogen Jemi Kobold

Currently most frequently playing Ticket to Ride. Before that was Quarriors. Before that an odd duck called GoLong, a dice-based football game(most likely bought due to my disgust with last year's NFL season).

11. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I've been playing a lot of board games on my iPad while away from home. Right now, I've got:

Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy - figured out the optimal strategy against the AI, which would get me massacred in a human game. Still, great translation!

Alien Frontiers - A bare-bones translation of a great game. AI is wanting.

Ticket to Ride - See above.

Talisman: Prologue - A reminder of why the game is mostly nostalgia because it's far too random and tedious.

Stone Age - Lots of fun and the AI is marginally better, but I've still won every game I've played so far.

Agricola - This is great and brutal. Right now the best translation on iOS of a board game I've seen for single player.

Warhammer Quest - many similar complaints to Talisman, but some how it doesn't bother me. I'm having a blast playing this right now and it looks gorgeous!

12. MadHab

MadHab Kobold

I have been playing a lot lately, but Pandemic (plus expansions) is the one who hits the table almost every gaming session with my group...

Cheers!

13. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I really like playing Pandemic. A co-op game without a traitor mechanic! Don't think we've beaten it on the hardest mode yet.

Most recently I've been playing:
    1. The Game of Thrones Board Game (2nd edition). Thoroughly enjoying that and we've been fortunate enough that we can always get at least 5 people together to play. It takes a looooong time to play though, we don't always manage to finish the games.
    2. Summoner Wars. Not played it much yet, but I've really really loved the games I have played.

14. Eusix

Eusix Orc Soldier

Neat thread.

I was a computer gamer for a long time before I found fun (IRL) board games or card games.

Munchkin is a must-play for anyone who hasn't tried it.
    And recently I played Thunderstone with some friends, really fun deckbuilder so far.

Looking forward to seeing what I can find at Pax next weekend!

15. Reint

Reint Ogre

Lol, I'm actually going to play Descent 2nd Edition later today.

I like that, DOOM: TBG, and various versions of Axis & Allies, though I don't get to play them very much. Munchkin is very fun with it's different genres and expansions; I haven't played a mash-up with multiple different base games yet, though that may be coming. Another card game that's fun IMO is Treasures & Traps, which is playable everyone for themselves or in teams. Oh, and another vote for Thunderstone, too.

I also own Battlestar Galactica but have never had a chance to play it. :/ I've also wanted to try Settlers of Catan but I don't think any of my friends would be interested.

Risk is also fun, but my favorite version is, of all things, the one for the original Playstation. :p

16. Banezilla

Banezilla Mushroom Warrior

i don't get to play much board games anymore, only when the whole family gets together on holidays really. and don't laugh but the best one we play is clue, there is nothing more fun then getting a bunch of siblings ages from 30-43 (there are 5 of us "kids") playing clue and trying to out smart each other.

when i was in Army, where i started playing D&D, we would take some weekends off from D&D and play Axis & Allies. one of the best times i remember having with it was when we did a game with everyone VS. everyone and passed around secret notes to one another trying to make alliances for one turn or more. it was a blast and ended up taking about 12hr to finish the game.

ive been looking into Zombicide and think i may have some friends that would have fun playing that so that maybe my next game i get into.

17. Harandir

Harandir Kobold

1-Lord of the Rings LCG
    2-Runebound (second edition) (One of My Favorites)
    3-Zombies!!! (One of My Favorites)
    4-Pirates Cove
    5-Arhham Horror (One of My Favorites)
    6-Elder Sign
    7-Munchkin (One of My Favorites)
    8- Munchkin Cthulhu
    9-Talisman (fourth edition)
    10-Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game
    11-Cthulhu Gloom
    12-Mag·Blast (Second Edition) (One of My Favorites)

All of them very good.

18. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Mushroom Warrior

Brutal is right. You think, happy little game, about farming, with cute little piggies. Then someone grabs the family growth space before you and the KNIVES COME OUT. You are definitely right, though, I think Agricola is the gold standard when it comes to board game conversions. Carcassonne is excellent, Eclipse is excellent, but Agricola is masterful.

In the physical space, I really dig Legendary, Marvel's deck builder. Tons of variety with mixing heroes, Masterminds and schemes, and a neat semi-cooperative gameplay where you need to balance out helping and hurting your fellow players.

Dungeon Run is a light dungeon crawler set in the Summoner Wars world. You start out potentially working together (though you can hinder other players as well). But at some point someone will kill the Boss monster, get the Summoner Stone, become super powerful, and at that point the game turns into pure player elimination, last-man standing. A few weekends back I was playing at Stabbins, the goblin rogue, and ended up stealing the Summoner Stone from the boss without killing him. We weren't sure that was legal, but it was awesome so we went with it. Then I died horribly, so it all worked out.

And I love Sentinels of the Multiverse. Love it.

19. hwango

hwango Hydra

Current favorites include Ad Astra, Eminent Domain, and Dominion. I’ve only played a few games of Ginkgopolis so far, but so far that one looks solid. Other old favorites include Puerto Rico, Le Havre, Caylus, Endeavor, 7 Wonders, and In the Year of the Dragon. It’s been a while since Settlers of Catan hit the table, but it’s a classic and was my introduction to Euros all those years ago.

20. Swiffle

Swiffle Mushroom Warrior

Played a lot of Yomi, a lot of Dominion, good amount of Puzzle Strike. Couple other games on the side, Flash Duel, Settlers of Catan, Carcasonne.