Board games!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Megadestructo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

Yup, the Game of Thrones board game is also really great. Much like Junta! But without the chaos :)

2. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Mushroom Warrior

Check out The Resistance. It takes the most compelling parts of BSG (determining your allies and enemies through observation, guile and social engineering) and strips away the boring fluff (like nearly everything involving enemy ships).

3. Krunchies

Krunchies Kobold

Recently I had a lot of fun with a group of friends and Last Night on Earth. A zombie survival style game with one player being the zombie hoard. The Game of Thrones board game and I have to break out Warhammer Quest when I feel like Dungeon Crawling. These games never seem to lose their appeal to me.

4. Funso

Funso Kobold

Been enjoying the Eclipse game on IOS the last few days.

Very good implementation.

5. CustodianV131

CustodianV131 Kobold

Really enjoyed these over the last year:
    Dominion
    Dungeons & Dragons Board Game: The Legend of Drizzt & Wrath of Ashardalon
    Summoner Wars (also the iPad incarnation)

Missed this so far. Definitely going to check it out. "Drag them kicking and screaming into the Century of the Fruitbat" Pratchett for the win!

6. Talonius

Talonius Mushroom Warrior

Board games! I have been playing Castle Panic (Wizards Tower XPac), Pandemic, and Munchkin (several Xpacs in) a lot lately. My cousin just started playing MTG for the first time, so I may revisit that to play with him although I sold all of my cards years ago.

7. Neils

Neils Kobold

There was a cool kickstarter board game called zombicide I bought recently. Great game especially if you are a zombie nut. I have played other zombie board games like last night on earth and I definitly prefer zombicide.

8. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

Is someone playing the zombies? or is it cooperative? Or is it similar to ZOMBIES!!! ?

9. Talonius

Talonius Mushroom Warrior

I'll have to check out Zombicide. I love Last Night on Earth!

10. Neils

Neils Kobold

You play against the board. Soo all human players are on the same team. The zombies have set rules that dictate how the move. It can be intimidating when you are surrounded by 30 zombies but nothing a good chainsaw can't take care of.

Grombak likes this.
  11. DarkStarCDM

DarkStarCDM Kobold

Anyone ever play Runebound? It uses decks of cards for encounters that increase in difficulty to tell the story so no GM is needed (though some light RP or mindset thereof helps). It is out of print but some copies are still kicking around. I like it a lot for laid back adventuring, loot collecting, and D20 rolling.

Harandir likes this.
  12. vexxing

vexxing Kobold

not so into board games due to the setup and cleanup, plus having enough people to play for extended periods of time.
    However, I do LOVE this one game I have called Twilight Imperium. It 's pertty much an 4x board game .
    Only been able to play it a couple of times ... still worth it ! XD

13. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

We wrote a new story skit into the game on Friday, which is on homage to a classic board game. It will be in the next build. 330 pizza to the first player who reports it here and tells me the correct board game reference!

Grombak likes this.
  14. Wounder

Wounder Mushroom Warrior

Been playing Super Dungeon Explore, Mice & Mystics and Smallworld with my kids lately.

15. Ravel

Ravel Mushroom Warrior

I'm probably not as huge into board games as a lot of people interested in Card Hunter, but I frequently play Penny Arcade's Gamers vs Evil and Betrayal at House on the Hill.

I also really enjoy, but don't play as often (due to time constraints): Mage Knight and the Game of Thrones board game.

16. Rubeus

Rubeus Kobold

Until I get my key to being able to play "Card Hunter"... ;) ... I'm enjoying "Warhammer Quest" on my iPad HD, and "Twilight Struggle" on physical board. I recommend you both of them: they´re great games!

17. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I'm not sure if you are serious, and I can't believe no-one has answered this already, but anyway... let the sleuthing begin!

You posted on the 9th of June. The next update after that was for Beta version 2.20, including this tantalising lead:
    I hadn't played Order of the Core so I bought it with some leftover pizza and began my quest.

After a tricky first battle I collected my loot and, what's this? Talk of shrink wrapped games and modules, Melvin asking if Gary had seen a new copy of Embassy, a no-luck all-tactical-planning negotiation game with a First World War setting. Why that sounds an awful lot like Diplomacy.

Continuing my adventure, and completing a very fun second battle, my suspicions were confirmed when Gary told me that he'd be allowed to play as Austria-Hungary.

Thank you! Whether you were serious about the pizza or not I really enjoyed reading the new skit and the battles forced me to totally rethink my item selection, cramming as many team moves, elven mobilitys and cleansing bursts in as I could.

P.S. In case you were serious about the pizza, my in-game Card Hunter name is Silver Flame should you need it.

Harandir and Megadestructo like this.
  18. Card Hunter Joe

Bravo!

I'll PM you with the pizza delivery!

Harandir likes this.
  19. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Diplomacy! A great way to ruin friendships!

20. Card Hunter Joe

OMG yes. The worst. I have had friends refuse to give other friends a lift home after a game of this. Awful but wonderful.