Board games!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Megadestructo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. CletusVanDamme

CletusVanDamme Mushroom Warrior

I saw Elder Sign finally got an expansion announced called Unseen Forces which is great, though I wonder how it will compare to the Call of Cthulhu and Trail of Ithaqua expansions for the iOS version. Unseen Forces looks like it's going to be just Elder Sign but more of it (in the museum), whereas CoC had you sailing around the Pacific in search of an amulet so you could enter R'lyeh and ToI had you collecting supplies and then galavanting through the arctic tundra to find and rescue a co-worker from Ithaqua. Both had an exceptional sense of narrative and identity for what is basically - as Destructo rightly said - Cthulhu Yahtzee . Will have to wait and see what Unseen Forces brings, exciting!

2. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

It's quite good, but in my opinion you have to use the "new" rules to speed up the game, otherwise it takes too long to win survive and the game start to be boring.

3. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Orc Soldier

I like it as well. And if you have a Windows Phone (which statistically I doubt) and soon Windows 8 or and Xbox 360, you can play an electronic version. An iOS version is to follow, but that is still in development. The Windows 8 and Xbox versions have already been submitted and are just waiting for MS to release them onto the marketplaces.

4. IshidaTsuki

IshidaTsuki Orc Soldier

Huh, I will give the XboxLive Version a definitive try.... (bloody Windows 8...)

5. CletusVanDamme

Yeah I might pick that up on XBL as well. I only played Zombies!!! a couple of times (years ago now) and don't remember a whole lot about it but the more board games I can play on my couch the better.

6. Kellfa

Kellfa Kobold

There's too many good board games to count lol I'm happy to see some people know of Betrayal at House on the Hill and of course Heroquest and Space Hulk (old and 3rd ed.) were great. I liked Catan and all also. I still need to find a group to play Warhammer Invasion and all. Oh and semi card game wise Ascension, Domination, and the Resident Evil DeckBuilding games were great. Now the question of the day though is how many play the old old original board games chess, shogi and Go? :p

7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Yes,no,yes but i am equally terrible at all 3

8. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

yes, no, no. There is no one among my friends that cant beat me at chess, thats why no one is playing with me anymore :( I always wanted to try out Go, but I cant find any proper game rules. I found some versions on wikipedia, but didn't put enough efford in it to find out which ones to use. Maybe I give it another try.

9. IshidaTsuki

IshidaTsuki Orc Soldier

Go rules are utterly simple, when I got the time I'll send you a link with them if you're interested.

I played Go and chess for a bit, but I'm equally terrible at both due to my overcalculative (or very, very aggressive) nature. Love them both though, great thing to do when you ahvent got anything else to do

10. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

Please do! I would really appreciate it!

11. TALISMAN! my wife and I are enjoying the remake of Dungeon! from wizards of the coast, just like the old classic to. I enjoyed Small Worlds with friends, and I'm also a Monopoly junkie as long as it's a funky theme - Star Wars, LOTR, etc.

12. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

Talisman is good? I always thought this game has some serious design flaws due to its age.

13. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Hells no, it's a great game. Then again, I haven't played the remake...

14. A88mph

A88mph Mushroom Warrior

Star Trek: Fleet Captains is an awesome game I got recently.

But I got no one to play with me. :(

15. Zolof Kimblee

Zolof Kimblee Mushroom Warrior

I love my version of Dominion, a Deck Builder game with a point-system, great replayability and compatibility between the cards and the best is, there are social aspects, so it's not just a race against each other without contact like so many other games tend to work.

16. Funso

Funso Kobold

We have Ticket to Ride, which while not new or particularly exciting is still the game we play most, because people not into fantasy or sci-fi can enjoy it just fine. It's amazing just how turned off people can be by those fantasy and sci-fi themes if they aren't game nerds.

Particularly loving Libertalia. I know it won so many game of the year awards from reviewers, but I didn't buy into it until I was made to sit through a game. Bought it immediately after my first game and try to get it played as often as possible.

17. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I think Talisman needs a few tweaks, otherwise whoever is in the lead tends to run away with the game. I have fond memories of it as a high schooler and have the 4th edition right now. It's an involved game, though, so it's hard to get people to commit :)

18. CletusVanDamme

I like Talisman, though it's not "up there" for me. I like the adventure aspects of it but when I play it I see it really more as an experience than a game.

FFG are working on a similar game set in the 40k universe that I'll probably pick up called Relic.

Got in some Descent 2nd Edition tonight, for something with flaws that can be so glaring I find it very compelling.

19. Grombak

Grombak Orc Soldier

Relic is also on my list. Allways wanted to give Descent a try, but I know no one who owns it. And there are some other games on my list with higher priority :)

20. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Would you care to elaborate? My friends and I are trying to decide whether to commit to playing a complete campaign of Descent 2e. We've only played a couple of standalone games so far.

I enjoyed Talisman but I've not played it in many years (and I have no idea which edition it was). I am watching Relic with interest.