Black Oaken Heart (lvl 2) Help!

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by GageBlackwood, Jul 14, 2015.

1. GageBlackwood

GageBlackwood Kobold

Hello,
    i don't know what to do. My Warrior takes 40 damage first round and dies and my party is sourrounded by 8 enemys after 1st round "Coward-ly Attack-ing" and killing my Party 2nd round. I can play 6 or so attack cards and kill 1 of the 6 enemies. This is a joke. Died 12 times in a row.

Back against a wall or hiding in a corner delays this 2-3 rounds, however I cannot kill more then 2 enemies.

This made me quit the game 2 months ago and it still has not been fixed.
    Quitting again.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  2. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Yeah keep your back against the wall. Don't ever turn so a monkey can attack you from behind. Kill the Goblins first, the monkeys do minimal damage if they can only attack from the front so knocking out the goblins is what matters. Use burst and cone attacks to kill them fast and slow them down. Cone of cold, force cone, ember burst, arcane burst, fireball. If you can put savage curse or unholy wellspring on the wizard first that'll really kill them quick. Alternately you can go in with a lot of nimbus and firestorm. It all depends on the cards you have. If you still can't beat it, just skip it for now.

3. GageBlackwood

GageBlackwood Kobold

Thank you for your kind reply. I equipped my warrior with slashing attacks, my wizard with fire cone and my priest maximum offense. Still, my meele character is either in attack range and can actually do something, and dies 1st round, or hides and dies 2nd-3rd round. So I am starting 2nd round with 2/3 Party and my mage is dead after 2 attacks this round. No matter what I do or what i equip, i cannot deal 75 damage in 2 rounds.
    I cannot skip, there is nothing else to do.

4. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

You can post your deck list here to get more specific suggestions:
    1. Go to your Keep.
    2. Load your Black Oaken Heart build.
    3. Hit f1 to open the console.
    4. Type "partyanddecksbbcode" and hit enter. This copies your build's decklists to your clipboard.
    Equipping priest with Impenetrable Nimbus instead of max offense.

kustaa likes this.
  5. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

You can always go back and play old levels to get better items, I did that a lot my first time through the campaign.

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

What I like doing on this level is putting armor on my melee guys and control effects like Winds of War or Gusts of War on my wizard(s). This way I stay in a corner, like Scarponi suggested, and use the wizard's cards to keep the goblins away. The monkeys can get close but can't do much damage if they can't get behind you AND you're wearing good armor. Remember that it's very risky to attack monkeys from the front (especially with melee attacks) if they have more than 1 hidden card. Hiding in the corner doesn't help if they get to use Acrobatic Flip on you!

Christofff likes this.
  7. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

Volcano + Nimbus spam also works well on most of these missions...

8. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Yeah, two wizards + priest might have easier time, although good volcano /fire burst items are epic or legendary.

There's the new Overheated Force Suit that's worth a try in my opnion.

9. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

I usually take two dwarf vampire priests (with parrying shields and duck racial) and a fire mage through this module. The mage isn't ideal for level 2 but helps a lot with combustible trees in the other three levels. If you're a newer player, you're probably not going to have a lot of the epics and legendaries needed to make a good fire mage, so load up with terrain effects for this level, and lay a moat of hurt around your party (with their backs to the edge of the map). Enemy mobs, especially monkeys, don't like stepping on terrain effects.

Take out those goblins as a priority. If you're lucky, they're carrying raging strike as they charge at you, and you can lay some hurt on them with mage attacks, like winds of war. If you're really lucky, they'll pause at the hurt moat at range 2, and you can slam into them with the dwarves' unholy attacks.

The beautiful thing about vamps is that, once you've taken the enemy mobs down to 3-4 attackers, they can't do enough damage to stay ahead of your healing.

10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I've used lava on this map as long as I've been running it. One mage has a full load of Blister Stones (or equivalent) and any other Wall Of Fire items he can carry, and lays down a barrier in front of the party. The party is backed up against the wall, of course. Once I got past the 1/1/1 stage, I replaced the warrior with a second mage carrying bursts, firestorm, flash of agony, etc. A priest to buff and heal rounds it out nicely.
    On the other maps, the lava mage carries smoke to prevent the ridiculous ranged attacks of the trees.

11. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I always found this map to work to my advantage but it does involve a lot of damage. I would just say use good general tactics, try to eliminate enemies 1 by 1, use positioning to make the enemies fight you on your own terms and don't let wizards get teamed up on. The Goblins typically have a raging strike or two if you can hit them from range a few times early you can pop'em off fairly quick just make sure the monkeys don't out maneuver you while you are setting this up.

Bad news is the next map is my least favorite in the game (well before playing Black Plume Mountain). There you need to stay out of sight of the oak tree until you can pick off the others (while making sure not to get ganged up on) and go 3 on 1 against the oak tree by himself.
    The final battle is fun, nothing like ganging up on a big guy for a quick win.

12. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Gage there is another thread on it here and probably any other advetnure you have streuggled with. If you've struggled with it, someone else has, and written about it! Of course, don't spoil the fun for yourself by hreading how to defeat adventures without giving them a good try!

Edit: volcano + nimbus spam can be fun, but winning without nimbus will hone your positioning skills much better and give you a leg up for your multiplayer leagues.

Also, it can be hard to get the volcano-heavy staves. Firestorm, ember burst, sizzling bolts a nd glob of flame all work great against trees, and having good positioning + a chopping wwarrior will help against those monkeys.

With the monkeys, It can also help to think a little about "how the AI thinks".

Monkeys like to get behind you, to maximise cowardly attaclks and thievery. So, how do you position yourself to counter this?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015