Beware of Mom!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Lance, Jun 20, 2013.

?

What do you think about Mom, and how have you faired against her?

1. Mom is a beast! She spanked me hard...

31.9%
  2. Mom, oh how I love to hate her. It's a win some lose some relationship.

14.9%
  3. Mother may know best, but that doesn't mean she plays best.

53.2%
  1. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

I don't do MP, but it seems the ideal solution is to keep Mom, but add other AI players that require other strategies. Then your build just needs to be okay against most of the AIs, it can afford to be weak against a few of them.

Masayuki likes this.
  2. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

Don't agree with that at all. I don't really care about encumber. I can generally just wait it out. I don't use it (currently) nor worry about building against it -- although I do have one purge to cover most of the possible wizard tricks. I generally beat mom so long as I don't get hit with the 40 damage whack she can draw into. I certainly don't build around her either. I just have what I would consider a pretty standard build with perhaps a little more flexibility than others might go for. I some decent cards but the build isn't not stacked with them.

3. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

I have developed a pretty unhealthy dislike for Mom. Games against her are causing me to rage-quit, which is (honestly) new behavior for me , and it turns out, not something I enjoy. I also tend to think this is against the spirit of the terms of service.

So here's what I think it boils down to. The AI represents, more or less, a stupid opponent with incredibly powerful cards I (we) don't have access to. I would never choose to participate in this type of gameplay in real life, at least not in any type of supposedly fun/competitive sense. I actually think this pretty accurately describes the type of perceived game environment that turns players away from Magic and other collectible games. In campaign, each of the levels is a puzzle to beat (which still annoys plenty of people). But, in MP it represents a repetitive grind stone.

I also don't understand how you can include these types of AI opponents (using unique and unavailable cards) in an ELO ranking system. AI opponents, bound by a separate set of rules, clearly alter the expected normal distribution of wins/losses.

4. PIZZA

PIZZA Orc Soldier

Just faced her for the first time, exciting to match with her finally. I happened to be running two push wizards so I didn't give her very many chances to get inside, and I bested her easily that way.

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I've only played her twice, one win one loss (the time I won was partly luck).

6. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

Here is the one thing you need to know about Mom. She has almost no concept of attachments. She does not register player attachments and so for example will relentlessly attack a character with Impenetrable Nimbus. Additionally, she does not register terrain attachments to be the threat players do. So, exploit this if possible. Now, use this knowledge to your advantage.

PIZZA likes this.
  7. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

I would assume that if the multiplayer base gets big enough, the AIs can fade into the background.

Ben_Lee likes this.
  8. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

I keep the box unchecked. What's the point to playing against AI? That's what campaign is for.

9. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

I'm just waiting for somebody to give those warriors Arrogant Armor and Immovable so she can tango with wizards more effectively. At first I thought there would be a high ranked Wizard AI to counter balance her, but honestly I don't think a warrior build could be nearly as effective against it as wizards are against Mom, unless it was intentionally designed as such (Giving them Counterspell with Keep, for example; That is only going to affect wizards and maybe clerics.

10. Generica

Generica Mushroom Warrior

Mom would be pretty scary against any team if the AI were better. Some different AI teams might be nice, but in the end they'll all play like the same computer anyway.

11. Weezel

Weezel Mushroom Warrior

I have to completely agree with Oberon. An opponent like Mom completely ignores the rules of deckbuilding with items, and also uses cards that don't exist in the game for regular players. Since it's regular players you are opting to face when participating in Multiplayer games, it really feels like whenever the timer ticks down i'm thrown back into the SP game. Also seems a bit wrong to itemize against cards that human players can't even use, as some have suggested.

On a side note, the last dozen or so AI matchups i've had have all been against Mom, not sure if that is significant or just my bad luck.

12. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

You get mom based on your ranking. The AIs also have, gain and lose ranking.

13. PIZZA

PIZZA Orc Soldier

Mom and the other AI's exist to match with when there isn't a suitable human player. We are closed beta without a ton of opponents. For now just think of them as a source of amusement. Her team is clearly a joke squad, I mean Gary's mom is running an unattainable deck, ;) .

Keyser likes this.
  14. nickv2002

nickv2002 Mushroom Warrior

I got lucky and beat her once but I think she's destroyed me 3-4 other times. Like not even close... Now I just keep the box unchecked. I think you get Mom if you're at above rank 1100, maybe 1000. The lower level AIs are all very beatable though.

15. xophnog

xophnog Mushroom Warrior

So today was the first time I beat Mom on her own terms (meaning I didn't resort to her wasting her attacks on Impenetrable Nimbus). I had to stack the blocks pretty deep, but since all she plays is warriors, her deck is not impossible to beat with effort (and a bit of luck). The score is 3-1, my lead. Twice I won with Impenetrable Nimbus on a character in the victory square. Todays win was less fluke-ish. My deck wasn't designed to beat hers specifically, so I was pleased to see it work as well as it did. She still plays pretty stupidly, which is an OK thing considering the decks she is packing.

16. Ineptie

Ineptie Mushroom Warrior

She has some very strong cards, but her deck lacks most of the things that would make it a good triple fighter deck. The dwarf can't move more than 2 without charge and doesn't have anything to help vs encumber, the elf doesn't have much of anything against ranged attacks. The human is dangerous, but will very rarely draw more than 1 move a turn.
    I think mom's problem is that she is very weak to control decks.
    My triple wizard build has a 100% win rate to her.

17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I just beat Mom on one of the new crypt boards, just by camping on the victory squares (none of her chars even tried to reach my priest). I didn't kill any of her chars, though my fighter got her elf down to 1 health, despite him having two of those Enchanted Mails.

18. Nolan Murphy

Nolan Murphy Kobold

I lose sometimes but only because the dwarf sits on a square with enchanted harness and mail and i dont draw any of my numerous acid cards. Not too hard, not too easy. The only complaint I might have is about the impenetrable block, and that might be made accessible by players somewhere down the line, and my complaint is that the card itself would be overpowered if made accessible to players, and that is a maybe. So I think Mom should stay the same.

19. Generica

Generica Mushroom Warrior

I don't know about 'overpowered', that takes a lot of context we don't have yet about the card, but 'frustrating to play against' is a given. Nobody likes to lose to repeated coin flips.

Lance likes this.
  20. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion