Beware of Mom!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Lance, Jun 20, 2013.

?

What do you think about Mom, and how have you faired against her?

1. Mom is a beast! She spanked me hard...

31.9%
  2. Mom, oh how I love to hate her. It's a win some lose some relationship.

14.9%
  3. Mother may know best, but that doesn't mean she plays best.

53.2%
  1. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

The latest update marked the addition of a new MP AI. This AI is known only as, Mom.

Hear my warning and take heed, for this opponent is not to be taken lightly. Mom has cards like Impenetrable Block and Perfect Block in her arsenal. You may want to take a moment before you decide if you should keep the Allow GM opponents button to remain checked.

I would also like to know what you think about Mom. Please post your thoughts.

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I'm sad that I don't get to test her - I haven't played MP much since reset so my ranking won't match me against her (also my gear would leave me crying). I'll take partial credit for her schooling of anyone however, I *think* I was the one who suggested her being added as an ai. ;)

3. BFrost

BFrost Kobold

Well, her deck is very strong. She will one-shot your weakened guys often - beware!

4. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

After our initial encounter I took a step back, a deep breath, and challenged her again. This time I knew what I was looking for and focused on flanking as much as possible. Success! I defeated her and prepared for our next match. I then proceeded to best her, with the record standing at 3 to 1 in my favor.

Well, aren't you the devil! ;) Or at least the devils advocate! But seriously, it was a great idea that I am elated about. I'll try and post a video of her awesomeness later for you. :D

5. Pengw1n

Well, I can't take credit for her deck, playstyle or anything - just thought it would be fun to have an ai named after her. I think I even suggested her as a mp tutorial bot - i e really simple, but I like that they turned the stereotype on it's head.

6. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

Well, it is Mom.

She isn't the best player, which is to say she relies mainly on ridiculously amazing blocks and attacks. Her Warrior trio is as I've said, a force to be reckoned with. Considering the score now stands at 4 to 2 in favor of me against Mom, I'd say they ran with the idea! :D

7. kogi

kogi Ogre

Just got spanked by mum, score 4:2 my favor. I guess her uber cards are a way of balancing AI weakness. But damm, it's a frustrating way.

8. Unprepared4u

Unprepared4u Mushroom Warrior

Mom's cards are too powerful. You have to prepare to beat her, with a build and playstyle that directly counters her. It's like fighting a raid boss. Pretty stupid.

I have yet to see her use any weak/self-harming cards or traits.

9. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

Mom's decks are designed, from what I can tell, more like a monster's deck than a player decks. Monsters decks are not built by a set of items, and thus do not necessitate the same balancing elements as player decks. So, I doubt your going to see her play any, "weak/self-harming cards."

10. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Mom's got a good deck. I've been toying around with how to build an all warrior party, but I think you need very specific gear to be viable. Mom appears to have that gear. I've beaten her so far on open maps, but I fear running into her in the dungeon.

Not specific to MP, but I noticed that the last party in Cardstock II Secret Preview pulled some new surprises today as well. The elven priest used a Contagion (which I have never seen before) to drop Holy Nimbus on their entire team. Needless to say I was impressed.

11. Pengw1n

Contagion/Nimbus combo's been used by Amy (I believe), since that ai was introduced. Very nasty.

12. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

Yep.

13. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Good to know. Going back to Lance's point though. I would hope these builds are built in the same "via item" method regular parties are. If for no other reason, than to show players possible builds.

Do their decks get built like monsters, so they get access to cards we currently don't like Contagion and Perfect Block ? Or do they get access to items we don't have yet, that contain those cards?

14. Pengw1n

Pretty sure they have decks rather than item suites - they're basically monster decks without the player limitation, and can thus be "gamey", like mom's deck.

15. Unprepared4u

Unprepared4u Mushroom Warrior

That doesn't make any sense.
    Its the multiplayer AI, which is used in the stead of another player. Why, then, should it be equipped like monsters? It makes no effort whatsoever to emulate a player.

I do appreciate that the AI is now a challenge instead of a free win, but there has to be a better way to do this.

16. Anticleon

Anticleon Kobold

Mom's AI does have a couple of problems - for example, she kept wailing on a character protected by impenetrable nimbus instead of preserving her good attack cards for the next round or attacking other vulnerable characters. Her AI should be tweaked to fix this. Mind you, I still lost - my two warrior, one priest party usually wins by holding victory territory, buffing my warriors, and killing one or two of the opponent's squishies, but Mom beat me to the victory territory and my priest didn't draw anything useful for the first three rounds.

17. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

So far gone 4:1 against it (her?).

Would be very capable deck in hands of a good or decent player. But against AI, it's easy to avoid one or two characters completely and divide the damage from the rest. Usually ending up in a situation where I have 2-3 guys alive with low HP, while she has one or two with almost full.

18. kogi

kogi Ogre

True true. But I do end up losing badly if I get the temple map and/or a bad draw.

19. JMTron

JMTron Kobold

What does Holy Nimbus do? There's no entry on the wiki

20. Mutak

Mutak Goblin Champion

To whomever thought a 50% block any with keep was a good idea: F#@$ you.