Beta Keys coming here!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jon, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CletusVanDamme

CletusVanDamme Mushroom Warrior

I can't imagine there not being a reset.

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

It's only in beta right now, so of course there will be. You'll know that their system is live and ready to go when they start charging people money for pizza and stuff. Once that happens, you can be sure that the final mechanisms for such things are in place and whatever you spend money on is not going to disappear into the ether.

3. Kodi

Kodi Orc Soldier

TaC better :p terms and conditions

4. MrMojoRisin

But I think of a used car if you say "terms and conditions", lol. Or those commercials where at the end, the guy speaks really fast in a low voice and tells you something like you owe the company your first born child.

5. Kodi

Kodi Orc Soldier

Well I think in STEAM with Terms of Service because a game isnt a service? or maybe im just crazy

6. MrMojoRisin

You are crazy. :p In this day and age. EVERYTHING is a service, because you can keep charging for a service. If a game is a just a product that you can buy, then you can only buy it once, and they have to actually come out with a new product for you to pay again. But if the "priviledge" of playing the game is a "service" offered to you by the software company, then they can keep charging you for the "service."

7. FalconGK81

FalconGK81 Orc Soldier

This post is very... elegant, almost poetic. I like it. Makes me think maybe we need to start a "beta-key begging haiku" thread.

8. Kodi

Kodi Orc Soldier

But a free to play game its really a service? because you dont need to pay for anything

9. FalconGK81

FalconGK81 Orc Soldier

F2P isn't really free. Every single F2P game has a system for monetizing the game. Often it requires constant micro transactions, which require constant updates and new content, which sounds very much like a service.

10. Kodi

Kodi Orc Soldier

But seriously back to the "reset" there is any source that there is going to be a reset? I mean look at the game Airmech they have a beta right now and this is what they said about reset "" Early players have been so valuable to us, I can’t imagine why we would take away what they have unlocked and helped us test. Personally I don’t like playing Betas of most games for that exact reason, which is another reason why we don’t want to do that. So I know it’s not normal procedure. There will be no wipes or resets at the end of beta. We would much rather reward our early players than punish them

11. MrMojoRisin

If anything, "F2P" games are even MORE of a "service" than games that you pay for outright, because the price of the actually playing is not an issue, so there is no "ownership" of any kind that can even be argued.

12. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

There is a source. I've linked Jons response in several threads.

Edit: Airmech is in OPEN beta, so that's not quite the same. Wiping a closed beta is standard.

13. Ryuuji

Ryuuji Orc Soldier

14. Kodi

Kodi Orc Soldier

Thx guys that clear my head ^^

Edit:
    There will not be a wipe or reset! Ask any of our players from way back in Alpha "" Quote in Airmech page

15. MrMojoRisin

I don't know the specifics of Airmech, but I'm assuming that the "early players" paid to be such, and were not randomly selected. It would be unfair for a game developer to randomly select a group of people to test a game and then let them keep all the stuff they got for free while everyone else has to pay up or forever be on uneven footing with the lucky few.

16. Kodi

Kodi Orc Soldier

Nope Airmech its F2P too but anyway there is no point talking about this if Jon already say that IS going to be a reset

17. MrMojoRisin

True, no point, but I will just say that it would suck to not be a beta tester in a game and then go into it against a group of people that got a bunch of stuff for free that I now have to pay (or grind, because they will always be ahead of you in that case) for to be competitive. So those devs are just going the other way and "punishing" new players instead of the beta testers.

18. FalconGK81

FalconGK81 Orc Soldier

I agree with MMR. I wouldn't play a game that had a closed beta that didn't wipe before open/release.

19. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Just a heads up airmech did reset after closed beta the difference between that and a wipe being you keep what you buy with real money and your nick

20. MrMojoRisin

That's more than fair, then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.