Beta Key holder handicap.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TokyoDan, Jan 22, 2013.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Mushroom Warrior

I think anyone who got a beta key should also be handicapped downward in any competitive ratings once the game goes live because the beta key holders will have had so much more experience than, and be miles ahead of the rest of us by the time the game goes live.

2. Ryuuji

Ryuuji Orc Soldier

LOL

zz_tophat likes this.
  3. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

Maybe there should be some kind of period of time once the game goes live that they give everyone to learn it, and then do a rewipe so anyone who wants to can get up to speed with what the beta testers will already know about the game.

4. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Well, let's try to be constructive shall we? :)

He does have a point, but I don't believe it really will matter in the long run as the beta accounts will all be wiped, and the only real benefit the beta players are knowledge of the game. People paying for mp packs might actually do better than free beta players until they have built up a decent loot loadout et c.

Also, they could have rankings be wiped every month or a set time that could work as a season.

5. TokyoDan

How about this... Anyone with a beta key should not be rated for an equal amount of time after the game goes live that they held a beta key. For example if a person held a beta key for 6 weeks before the game went live, his games shouldn't be rated until 6 weeks have passed after release. (p.s. I hope you guys aren't taking me seriously.)

6. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

This sooo much this i have played for a unfathomable number hours and i still haven't seen the really good stuff from the mp pack don't get me wrong i have found equally good gear just not those pieces and sometimes they call out to me!

The whole point of punishing beta players for their experience is ludicrous you can gain almost the same experience i have by watching a few videos and you don't have to spend 3 days grinding gear while encountering and getting bugs fixed for the release. Not even if every one on the beta was strategizing and keeping all quiet with no videos or information this wouldn't be a valid request so when we aren't its just insane.

7. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

It's probably a moot discussion anyway, as there will most likely be an open beta period long enough for anyone who wants to get as much experience as they want in the game, then probably a rewipe after that anyway.

8. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yeah, not unlikely tbh. Still, I think it would be interesting if they rank rankings in seasons - has there been any discussion what BM has intended with MP?

9. TokyoDan

@wozarg It is not insane. There IS such a thing as experience.
    And I know there are probably some beta testers who are salivating and secretly laughing to themselves and just can't wait till the game goes live so they can enjoy crushing the rest of us. I'm sorry but non-beta players will get crushed by beta players. And when I get crushed I'll be thinking that it's because my opponent had months of experience and an unfair advantage over me. Maybe the beta testers should be only allowed to compete in a separate special league for the first few months. And if they don't like this what could be the reason? The only reason I can think of is that they'd be upset at losing their unfair advantage.

10. Scyrax

Scyrax Mushroom Warrior

Well, they'd likely have a lot fewer people to actually play against is the first thing that comes to my mind.

11. TokyoDan

Good! But there will be enough of them I bet. Anyway that'd be much better equalizing situation for the non-beta players to catch up.

12. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

[homicidal_rant]People like you make me wonder why i bother making videos explaining my setup or pvp videos at all since you think i deserve to be punished for being a tester despite doing litterally everything i can to even the field... and i went 5-0 today in the dev fights so i think my thoughts and gear walk through should be of decent value.

And if you think there are enough beta testers for their own league you need to be more active there is basically none to pvp against ever on the beta. What you actually want to request is that all the beta testers keep there rating but you are so twisted up in your own feelings of entitlement that you think that would be just as unfair to you. While somehow you are deluded enough to think there are no pvpers good enough to beat beta testers because they have played more games.

I have people commenting on my videos that spend considerably more time analyzing and figuring out better solutions to everything i do and you still think i would beat them because i have pushed some buttons?

Also as a funny side note that you probably didn't even consider. Assume all the beta testers are better you putt them in a league of there own where they fight each other learning and growing better from fighting strong people. What happens once they are released in to the general pool? Slaughter beyond what you can even imagine tricks you haven't even considered or seen.[/homicidal_rant]

13. TokyoDan

@Wozarg What I'm suggesting is not punishment. Is a handicap in golf punishment? Are pro vs amateur leagues punishment? No! They are just ways to hopefully level the playing field and make competition fair.

And I had no idea that you were making pvp videos. Where can I watch these videos? Is the reason you are making videos for everyone's benefit? (or are you doing it in hopes of getting some kind of popularity/authority?) And I wasn't singling you out. (Is every beta tester going out of their way to keep the playing field level by making videos to help us all?)

14. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I already have informational authority since i have access to the beta other then that i don't see how they would give me authority? The fact that i make them as well as a few other people should be enough everyone shouldn't have to make videos to keep it fair that is just a flood of useless information.

The fact is segregating people because of a slight advantage is ludicrous. I'm a former d&d player should i be in a special bracket because of that advantage? I also used to play magic at a decent level. Then again i was also a nationally ranked chess player when i was young. Do i now need to be in a bracket with ex d&d and magic players who had a national chess rank? Considering those are all 10 times the advantage of having played a few matches in the long run.

15. TokyoDan

Where can I see these videos? To tell you the truth I don't really care that much but you really seem to be taking this very seriously. I was mostly just being "tongue in cheek". But seeing how seriously you do take this and with all your previous and varied experience maybe there should be a pro league for people at your level. Wouldn't you want such a thing? Most serious players of any game/sport want that so they can weed out the serious from the not so serious in order to have competitive and interesting contests. That is, unless they get a dirty thrill out of beating people who aren't in the same class.

16. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

That is what the elo system is for after you lose a few or win a few matches you will be in your own league since matchmaking wont putt you up against the people you have been losing to or winning against. The fact that you don't know about any of the videos only further proves my point that you aren't qualified to make statements like asking for separate leagues and considering I'm frustrated with your "Tongue in cheek" I don't feel like finding the links for you and instead i suggest using the search function.

17. Tess

Tess Blue Manchu

Oh, now, relax, folks. You can get up-to-speed really fast, in this game. We devs have been playing WAY longer than anyone else, and yet, the beta testers are already competitive! It's going to take a lot more than a head start to rule the rankings.

18. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

No no, he's right, we're far too good to ever be unleashed on the general populace. :rolleyes:

This is not a game of skill shots and reliable strategy. No matter how good I am at clicking on things, I can't play any more cards per turn than anyone else, or play them any better than anyone else. No matter how good my mouse control, I can still only move onto the same squares as everyone else. There is no secret control method, no way to squeeze a bit more out of my movement based on clicking exactly the right pixel at exactly the right moment, and no techniques to get more out of an attack than other less-practiced people. It's not about learning skill timings and rotations or build orders or transitions or maintaining a high APM. It's all about the cards in your hand and your board position, which the tutorial is already designed to pound into your skull at level 2 of the single player campaign. You can't even do any reliable planning as you're limited to very small hand sizes and intrinsically hampered by the randomness of the draw. Sure, you can put amazing combos in your deck, but good luck ever drawing them when you need them. Especially since you're relying on three decks at the same time to work together.

The only advantage is the cards in your deck, which is controlled by the items your characters equip, which anyone can eventually find. You want to get ahead in multiplayer? Throw money at pre-made MP packs to get their ridiculously powerful items weeks faster than anyone playing single player could ever hope to. Then you have an advantage.

That, and believe in the Heart of the Cards. But everyone does that already.

Besides, if a few extra weeks gives someone such a tremendous advantage, why aren't the devs obliterating us poor beta testers with only a tiny fraction of their experience in the game? You're trying to discriminate against a randomly-chosen group of individuals for an imagined slight that they had no control over and gained no benefit from.

You want to know what secret knowledge I've gained by being in the Closed Beta? I'll give you a hint: everything the cards do is printed right on them. The only exceptions are bugs, which is why we're here; to find them, report them, and get them fixed. Not to get better than you at the multiplayer.

Pengw1n, Necrometzer, Kahar and 2 others like this.
  19. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I lost this when i missed my spot in worlds because of a auto qualify with a terrible deck that was 100% made to counter mine because his big brother plays that kind of deck >.<

20. TokyoDan

Thanks Tess and Zoorland. I realize beta testing is for catching bugs and not to get better than anybody at the multiplayer. I don't really care myself that much. I was just bringing up a point. I don't really like multiplayer and seldom play online. I've always preferred single-player games.