Beta Build 1.21 (21 Mar 2013)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yeah, from a casual player level 20 wins will be a bit hard - then again, it depends on how easily reachable that goal is supposed to be attained. There has recently felt like there's a lot of the free pizza floating around, so some players have some insane decks - to a point where it might have surpassed realistic (think release) spending, since you can get as many chests as you want. Kinda kills enjoyment when you don't want to go for that yourself.

2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Have to agree with phase 20 sure is a lot especially since you get nothing for losing currently.

3. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Well, that's probably good, then. a) It's been iffy whether multiplayer SHOULD give rewards whatsoever, and all this current stuff is an experiment to see whether it's viable. b) Currently, I view multiplayer vs. the AI as free gold. Kinda like playing Ommlet every day. I've earned hundreds by playing 1 to 3 multiplayer games (plus Ommlet) per day.

Edit: I should clarify. My response "b" there was, in part, about any concerns that the highly-lucrative "20 wins chest" might be too far off for all the people who'll want it. Because I don't really want it: "Epic + Uncommon" isn't very "lucrative" to me, not when you consider how very common "uncommon rarities" are in this game, and how two different rarity boosts are available at minimal effort (1 win and 3 wins).

With 1 to 3 wins giving you the highest reward-to-effort ratio, the "20 wins chest" is just a pretty placeholder at the far end of the spreadsheet. I'd say it's good as-is.

4. Pengw1n

I haven't seen Mom yet, as I haven't seen the updated tutorial in a bit - but, maybe it would be fun to have Mom as an utter hopeless ai player for the rookies? Maybe Gary has ben trying to get her in on CH as well - and she's hopeless. "Oh my, what's that bearded little man doing with that pointy stick?"

Jon likes this.
  5. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I spotted her in a non-tutorial capacity in . . . uh . . . Garnet Demon Portal? The Sinister Wood? One of those. She interrupts partway through the module.

6. Dark Wolfe

Dark Wolfe Orc Soldier

I don't know. The group of friends I game with are such avid gamers because their parents used to (mostly still do ) RPG & model. Haven't seen anything from her in the story yet but I'd love to see Gary's mom be someone like that, absolute bloody experienced hard-arse.

7. Pengw1n

I guess the mom-perspective is dependent on what generation gamer you are. Since this is based around the old 70's vibe - not many gamers were parents (yet), kinda the first generation.

8. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

The 20 win reward was never intended to be easy to achieve. It's supposed to be the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

The single win reward, on the other hand, is supposed to be a quick, rewarding incentive to play once or twice every day.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  9. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

I don't quite understand the argument here. Anybody could build an insane deck on Day 1 though paypal. In fact, I'm pretty sure that early game release, MP is and will be flooded with such players. Which is a good thing for the game and for Blue Manchu. For gen pop, it just sets the virtual entry level which I've talked about here. It'll be interesting to see what the early dominant meta builds are and how fast they are farming wins (off human opponents).

10. Pengw1n

Sure, people CAN flood the game with hundreds of dollars - maybe I'm foolish for thinking this won't happen as fast with real money as with unlimited pizza. I know people will spend money on the game, but the amount of chests opened by some of the current players are pretty much heftier than anyone is likely to spend real money on (how much money would people like Woz has spent real vs fake?). Like I said, if the purpose of testing top tier gear only - this makes sense for the beta atm, otherwise not so much - live there will be a large variation of power due to a much larger playerbase.

I'm not in any way saying people won't spend money or that money is bad for BM - but the truth is, free pizza doesn't simulate a real game climate in terms of spending/power.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.