Beta Build 1.20 (19 Mar 2013)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

More work on the tutorial, lobby and multiplayer along with a whole mess of bug fixes.

Enjoy!

Tutorial
    • Player gets a guaranteed amber shards item at end of tutorial.
    • Adventures supports second guaranteed first time loot item.
    • Ensure that the shop is revealed after skip tutorial.
    • Added a prompt about item filtering in the shop.
    • Removed Pig in the Middle battle from tutorial.
    • Rework Canyon Lair scenario.
    • Removed the third tutorial shop.
    • Renamed taverns and shops.
    Figures
    • Added figures for War dog and Chef
    • fixed glitch in sprite/fiend cardboard effect
    • fixed acid Fiend figure depiction

Cards
    • Implemented Bungled Heal.
    • Implemented Slippery.
    • Implemented help the weak.
    Scenarios
    • fixed dead markers in a few boards
    • tweaked magic circle color
    • Renamed Slub'Gut's group.
    • Adding Asmod's Telekinetic Chain to Slub Gut adventure as a Rare drop. Noted in scenario debriefing.
    • fixed VP in melvelous crypt
    • Fixed victory points for two tutorial battles.

Pizza to Gold Conversion
    • Pizza convert rejects negative amounts or attempts to spend more than you have.
    Shops
    • Store stocks 100 items by default.
    • Remove the old loot table for the initial shop after tutorial.
    AI
    • AI trait handler uses exactly the same logic as CheckForTraitsCommand (might fix AI trait crash).
    • AI trait handler warns when it can't find a trait card or instigator.
    Story
    • Fixed a number of story and Gary typos
    • Fixed minor factual inaccuracy in final Slub'Gut battle briefing.
    • For the following adventures: Caverns of the Troglodytes, Lair of the Trog Wizard, The Wizard's Workshop, Dungeon of the Lizard Priest, Slub'Gut's Sanctum, Highway Robbery and Ruby Demon Portal:
    • Rewrote all battle brief and debriefs in active, second person;
    • Rewrote all Gary adventure comments, bar the first one of every adventure, to focus on the meta experience of playing games, in order to try and establish greater separation between Gary and the adventure text;
    • Placed some "Gary as GM" adventure comments in the battles themselves, just as the player draws cards;
    • Added more Melvin and Karen dialogue and developed story-lines.
    • Re-wrote Trog Grotto adventure to put battle briefs and debriefs in second person.
    • Re-wrote Trog Grotto GM dialogue to exclude GM commentary and to focus on Melvin / Gary relationship.
    • Rewrote dialog for Viscous Tombs
    • Edited dialog for Garnet Demon Portal. Removed placeholder text
    Items
    • Massive overhaul of Racial Skills.
    Multiplayer
    • Update multiplayer user list to new-style code. This removes the broken private message interface and ban/kick buttons until we can make better ones. Also fix issues with users always being subscribed to updates from all rooms.
    • Change room naming a little. Separate out MP battle and SP adventure rooms into separate groups
    • Move icons for users in player lists
    • Move the lobby room to a 'lobby' room group instead of 'default'. Don't have all users automatically subscribed to updates from all single-player and multi-player battle rooms.
    • Showing loading overlay on entering a ranked match.
    • Speed up rating change animation (maximum 2 seconds)
    • Fixed win/lose music in ranked matches.
    • Made landing page MP/Campaign buttons fade in, so they don't appear over the top of the box lid.
    • Disabling Results button on click after ranked match, to acknowledge the click.
    • More interesting audio in Tournamentria map screen.
    • Bonus chest info in Tournamentria map screen - no clock yet.
    • Made final MP bonus chest 2x Epic. It's just 20 wins away folks. Get in there!
    Characters
    • Add filters to character names
    Monsters
    • Added missing kobold hero deck.
    • fixed spelling of 'berserker' in various places
    • fixed capitalisation in monsters xls
    Version checking
    • Fix version check so the client doesn't continue to try to load in the game when it has an out-of-date version
    Internal Stuff
    • Fix up account verification UI for when beta keys are no longer required
    • Fix default DB port in config file to not be my local non-standard port.
    • Increase the max length of room names
    • Default extension logging to debug level, so our extended logging system can change the level at runtime
    • Fix a login race condition that shows up when logging level is turned down
    • Make battle logging also respect minimum global log level
    • Fix a log function that was inconsisted to respect the min log level setting.
    • Change a bunch of log messages from info to debug to reduce normal logging output
    • switch matchmaker over to use new per-system logging functions
    • Break out name validator into a separate class so it can be re-used in more places
    • Add debug-level logs for battle actions.
    • Bring client log functions into line with the server ones.
    • Fix a few bugs with the user editor tool.

2. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

:(

*sniff* That'll do, pig. That'll do.

Cronus likes this.
  3. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Egad, wow. That's a lot of stuff, and it'll take a lot of time to absorb.

Which is a good thing.

4. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Almost blew my eardrums out. Pls implement volume control...thanks!

edit: my bad...there is volume control. Just that I'd left it at default and my pc volume as at max, apologies :p

5. Boxcar12

Boxcar12 Kobold

I assume the "Massive overhaul of Racial Skills." is why I am missing the 1 Elvin skill I had, and my Human and Dwarf skills are now something completely different?

6. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Ha, no worries. We will want to do an audio level pass at some point anyhow.

7. Kodi

Kodi Orc Soldier

Great job! getting closer to co-op (I hope) :D

irongamer likes this.
  8. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I really like the racial rework but i seam to have lost a human legendary among other things and i get the feeling that humans are the underdogs after this rework but it does look a lot better so it will be fun to test.

9. Jayce

Jayce Hydra

Loving the new music!

It may be because I hadn't played through the tutorial for a while, but the Gary/Melvin dialogue is really pushing up my empathy points for Gary; before, he was a funny little enthusiastic opponent for me, but now..*sniff*... he's starting to feel like a friend.

10. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yeah, the dialogue work is great - Gary has gone from annoying - almost opponent - to buddy.

11. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

If you lose an MP game despite a winning streak before, the lobby msg resets to 'Win to Earn Bonus Chest! 1 Rare or Better.' If you resign battle, the lobby msg gets even more borked....and doesn't correctly reflect the current streak. This persists until you get a win back...

edit: I think the bug here is that losing fouls up the lobby msg regardless of how the loss came about.

12. Zeetoois

Zeetoois Mushroom Warrior

Whatever you did internally helped me greatly. I'm on the geomancer campaign (order of the core), and experienced tremendous amounts of lag whenever they cast the cave in spell and the effect had to be applied to a large number of space. Anyway, loving the changes so far! *thumbs up*

13. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

. . . Including adding separate controls for "effects" and "music/ambient"?
    I just posted this elsewhere, but I thought I'd mention here: I think this makes stores difficult to just jump in and use.

You'd mentioned thinking about guaranteeing at least one item for each slot, which would mean 17 guaranteed items per store. I'd imagined the inventory "boost" would thus be 17 + [a random bunch], totaling perhaps 40. This would mean, annoyingly, having to scroll the shop screen to see everything, but surely we'd get used to it.

Seeing 100 items and screen after screen . . . I used to read all the card suites every day, but now the only way I could see to interact with the store is via search function. It's too much information.

14. Pengw1n

I wholeheartedly agree with Sir Knight on that's how the store should be handled. 100 items are simply, too much clutter. By going Guaranteed 17+Random, it would still make sense to update stores every day, which is also good for having people log on regularly - which I believe matters in terms of the game's popularity et c.

Zoorland likes this.
  15. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

The thing is if it doesn't update every day you have time to get gold for that item you really want but cant afford so there is a upside to that as well

16. Pengw1n

Currently it updates every day, I believe. So your logic only applies if it's changed? Also, it's hard to keep track of what's in a store of 100 items, will you even notice those items you want - if it's on a 3 day timer or something?

(also, if it doesn't update daily - and if you are in really, really bad luck, some item types might not even be represented in those 100 random - making it a bit annoying)

I look at the store change as a difficulty balancer rather than being able to luxuary shop rare/epic/legendary gear that someone can't afford to buy instantly. If BM wants those items available on a longer timer - I suggest they can set up a separate store with a different timer, but I believe having rarer items available to grind money for is a bad thing for the game balance in general.

Zoorland likes this.
  17. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

I'm not sure I see the difference of grinding for gold verses grinding for cards? You grind content to obtain the gold, which then gets you a random card from the store. You also grind content to find random cards. Time is still invested both ways.

Personally I don't really mind the store reset, primarily because I'm used to it in other rpg games.

That said, I'm indifferent to the idea of a one time "layaway" to a specific item in the store. The layaway would make the item persist for X amount of time, but the hold could only be placed once. If you collected the rest of the gold in time you could finish off the cost of the item and purchase it. That type of layaway system seems more focused than having another store with a different timer.

18. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I mentioned that iron but it would make for a lot of work to make such a system for the store.

19. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

Yeah, understandable. Obviously I don't know how they have their backend setup or how it may or may not be tied in with Smart Fox Server, thus possibly complicating matters.

20. Pengw1n

Grinding items from adventure has the unknown factor, being able to buy a powerful item from a store - not so much (having ground a lot of gold and saved it, for a potential useful item available in the store - sure, I can live with that). My opinion regarding stores is based on balance, and difficulty - not